“Very disappointed - alarming lack of customer focus”

Ennios Boutique Hotel
Ranked #5 of 43 Southampton B&B and Inns
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Very disappointed - alarming lack of customer focus”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

It started off well. I booked online, arrived an hour or so later, had my payment card checked, name verified and shown by a helpful, friendly member of staff to my room.

I had just finished getting changed and was thinking about options for dinner, when I heard a key in my room door. When you pay for a hotel room, you expect privacy, right? Well that's not something they seemed to want to give me at this hotel. Before allowing someone to burst in I approached the door and tried to unlock it to see what was going on, but the person on the other side had the key jammed in the lock so it wouldn't work. After a small struggle they seemed to let go and I managed to open the door.

"ARE YOU BOOKED INTO THE RIGHT ROOM SIR??!!", a rather rude and patronising woman barked at me. I think she was a member of staff, as there was an embarrassed looking man with a suitcase standing next to her. I took him to be another guest.

"Yes, I think so", I replied. After all, I had been shown to the room by another member of staff, who'd already checked my ID.

"WHAT'S YOUR NAME?", she barked. I was rather surprised by her tone, manner and general rudeness.

I told her my name and after a big sigh she muttered that she was "going to check". So, it appeared that I was actually being accused of having deliberately booked into the wrong room. This was a first for me.

A few minutes later the phone in the room rang out. "WHAT'S YOUR SURNAME?". It was her again. "YOU SEE I HAVE TO MAKE SURE YOU ARE CHARGED THE RIGHT AMOUNT, AND NOT SOMETHING MORE THAN YOU'VE PAID FOR". Well thanks a lot sister, but that's pretty much the norm in hotels, isn't it? I was left feeling that somehow I had done something wrong. Her angry and aggressive tone was very puzzling indeed.

By now my patience was running out. I repeated my name once again, and asked her if anyone else was going to try to get into my room tonight? I was given a reluctant apology and an assurance that I would not be disturbed again.

I thought perhaps I would receive some further acknowledgement of this appalling error on the part of the hotel. I've never stayed anywhere where a member of staff is attempting to force their way into a room I've paid for, nor have I EVER been spoken to like that by a hotel worker anywhere in the world. Perhaps someone would have noticed what had gone wrong and offered a bit more of an apology. A drink on the house maybe? Some sort of a gesture. Maybe I wouldn't need to pay for parking? But no, nothing.

I actually felt concerned for the rest of the evening that someone else might burst in. There is no deadlock or chain on the door, so there was no way of making sure for myself that it would not happen again.

I went out for dinner at a local Thai place across the road, which was excellent.

Returning to my room I noticed that the temperature was very high. The aircon had stopped working 10 minutes after my arrival. With all the strange behaviour from the hotel staff, I didn't bother reporting it.

I was in a room at the front of the hotel. Whilst it was clean with a comfortable bed, the noise was unbearable. Along with the intense heat and the worry that someone else might try to enter my room I hardly had a wink of sleep.

Vegetarians are clearly unpopular in this hotel as we are not offered a cooked breakfast. Oh no, that's just for non-vegetarians. The continental option consisted of toast, cereal and a strange plate of fresh fruit in a bowl full of....orange juice. Another first for me. Friendly enough service, but I wish the staff would talk to each other about deodorant and hairspray out of earshot..... I was entertained by an ant running around my table. It was the icing on the cake really.

I mentioned my list of complaints upon leaving. The person I told seemed mildly interested, and said she would make sure the member of staff who was rude to me and tried to burst into my room would receive 'feedback". I was offered an apology, but no discount, which is really what was required for such appalling service.

Needless to say, I can not recommend this odd little place and I certainly won't be staying here again in the future.

Room Tip: A room at the rear is probably less noisy that than rooms at the front, but after my experience I ca...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank flyingscotsman2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
cardiff
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

Just to say this hotel is lovely, all the staff look after you and the food is of the highest standard.We stayed just before a cruise so it was a perfect location for this, also a short walk away from the town. We stayed for two nights and was lucky to try an evening meal and a Sunday lunch both were so good that we have re booked for October. Thank you to all the staff for making our stay so nice cant wait to come back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank millieCardiff
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

This is a lovely boutique hotel near the port. Free WiFi, comfy bed, great hot shower, nice toiletries. Basically a great hotel and a very nice change to the soulless chain hotels.Very nice restaurant attached to hotel too...

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

I had to stay over in Southampton for work function. I chose the Ennios as it was close to the event and also because I've seen photos before and thought it looked nice.

The receptionist was really personable and showed me right to my room. I was pleasantly surprised at both the decor and space of the room. I was right on the main road, one floor up however there was no outside noise. Double rolling blinds kept the light out and I had a good nights sleep.

L'occataine Products in the room - good hairdryer provided and because downstairs is an Italian Restaurant, the room service menu was quite extensive and no doubt a nice change form many standard hotel menus.

One hiccup was that my key to the main door didn't work when I returned in the evening. They lock the main door after 11pm and as a result, I couldn't get back in. There was no number to call and as much as I tried to knock on the door, no one was coming to rescue me! I walked down to another hotel, thinking I'd have to rent a room for the night however they located a mobile number and rang the owner who came and let me in. He didn't seem too pleased at first but once he tried my key and saw that it didn't work, he NEARLY became sympathetic (hence the 1 star missing on the rating) ... Disaster averted however it was nearly a MAJOR disaster.

So - check your keys work before you depart - after hours it may be impossible to get help.

Other than that - I really did find the room was lovely and for the price, probably one of the best choices in Southampton.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank rachel1372
Poole, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

We stayed at Ennio's for 1 night in Mid March.

I can honestly say this is the best hotel I have ever stayed in. We paid a bit extra to have a Superior Executive room as a treat and it was worth every penny.

We were able to park at the back of the hotel which was very handy. When we arrived we were greeted warmly and shown to our room. We were also shown the guest only exit.

Our room was very luxurious, just as described. It was decadently decorated as expected in a Boutique hotel.

The room had air con, easily adjusted. Flat screen tv, safe, mini bar and views of the red funnel crossing. The windows aren't double glazed, but there were very heavy full length curtains that blocked out the draft and when it got nippy we just turned up the air con.

We didn't eat in the hotel, but the menu looked interesting. Breakfast was included in our booking and we had a choice of full English and continental breakfast.

The staff were lovely and helpful. The girl that waited on us at breakfast was chatty and attentive.

We would most definitely stay again and again!

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Mandystuart2014
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

Such lovely helpful staff and the food is outstanding
It was so busy when I arrived, the restaurant was packed with large groups but I didn't have to wait
I will definitely stay again

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms at the back of the hotel, it is quieter with beautiful view of the old church ruin...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Stevenage, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

I don't normally write reviews because I never have that great of an experience it really needs to be spoken about after the event. But Ennios Hotel & Restaurant have got it going on, from the minute we walked in we were made to feel very welcome. We were met by Sharon and checked us in and showed us to our room very smoothly she was very polite and made the effort to have a chat and not just dish out the usual small talk like most. The room was clean and bright with stylish decor to a reasonably high standard so close to the road but it was quiet and the bathroom was spacious and very nicely done. This is one of the nicest hotels I have stayed in for a very long time and we stay in a lot, all the staff we met were very polite and friendly and made the whole stay even more enjoyable. I could not fine any negatives with this hotel and will make it my goal to visit again.

We wish the owners the very best for 2014 and hope to see them again soon,.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple