Ennios Boutique Hotel
Grand Harbour Hotel(Southampton)
Star Hotel(Southampton)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Pool
All reviewsconverted warehouserestaurant with roomsferry terminalno elevatornoisy roadsmall hotelred funnellimited parkingattached restauranttown quaypre cruiseisle of wight ferrybed was very comfortablestayed one nighttea and coffee facilitiesmain roadcontinental breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night last week and were left feeling disappointed and sure that we wouldn't be staying here again.

On arrival we eventually found a reception desk hidden behind a door inside the restaurant.., there was no sign as to where one should check in. The member of staff there was totally indifferent and merely told us we were in the "Minerva" room and it was up the stairs, no welcoming words or did we have a car or would we like breakfast in the morning or an evening dinner reservation. In fact we never signed in at all!

I have to say that the room was very nicely done in the boutique style with a high spec bathroom, lots of complimentary toiletries and a tea/coffee tray. However, there were many little flaws that let it down. There was a mini bar with very expensive mark up and there were two bottles of mineral water that were complimentary, however one was only half full! Someone had obviously drunk some on a previous occasion and we didn't think this was very nice along with several half opened sugar sachets found within the tea tray along with dirty marks on one of the mugs. The shower tray was very slow to empty so I had to curtail my shower before the bathroom flooded!

The room was far too hot and the air con remote control did nothing so opening the window was the only solution, but, unfortunately the air con unit emitted a very high pitched noise all night and we could not sleep which was a shame because the bed was comfortable.

We did not bother with breakfast(this was not included) there after all that and got something up in the town instead.

Although the front door was locked at night, during the day it seemed anyone would just be able to climb the stairs to the bedroom floor probably without being seen and we found this a bit of a concern security wise.

As I said the place is nicely done and handy for the port, although if you are off on a cruise and have a lot of luggage there is no lift to get to the bedrooms. We were not cruising on this occasion and only had rucksacks so it was not a problem. The town is only a five to ten minute walk where there are good shops and places to eat.

Room Tip: Probably don't bother
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sue S
Reviewed 18 May 2014

The owner of this place is a fellow Greek, and an absolute hoot. The food in the attached restaurant is decent, and the homemade potato chips they serve in the bar are incredible.

But as a hotel, this is an incredibly confusing place. There are a few rooms upstairs - hence the "boutique" label. The rooms themselves are in decent shape, but don't expect to get into the building after the restaurant closes or before the staff arrives for breakfast. And if you have an issue at night, you're probably out of luck.

On the whole, I'd stay here again. It was comfortable. But it's much more of a family affair than I'm accustomed to seeing on business travel.

Room Tip: They're all named after Greek gods/godesses...but get one of the rooms that's not on the street side.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Tim G
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stayed one night before boarding a cruise ship from the City Cruise terminal. We were unsure as to how far from the terminal the hotel was as it doesn't really advise this on the web site. Perhaps they don't want the cruise line passengers business? Not sure but if you are fit and able bodied and it isn't raining, you could do the walk in 5 - 10 minutes (depending on the amount of luggage). There were other cruisers staying in the hotel when we were there that got a taxi to the port but we chose to do the walk so that we would know about it for future cruises. The hotel reception is situated between the bar and the entrance in to the hotel. We were checked in quickly and given a room to the rear of the hotel on the first floor. Unfortunately the room was above another entrance door to the rear of the building where the staff stood and talked and smoked when they finished their shift for the night so that was a bit of an unpleasant experience especially since we had the windows open since it was warm outside. We had several drinks in the bar and had pre-booked a table for dinner. The restaurant food was very good indeed and after ordering a 1/2 portion of pasta as a starter, I wished I had ordered it as a main instead as it was that good! We did have issues with paying! When we bought a drink at the bar, we paid cash. When we had dinner, we paid on our debit card however we were charged for a round of drinks that we had paid cash for! We were slightly unamused when a bar tender who took the drinks order but left someone else to pour it and take the payment stated that he hadn't seen us pay for the drinks! That was because it was left to someone else to take the money!!! This did annoy us slightly but it was sorted out. Breakfast was also very enjoyable with a full English being offered or pastries etc. When we came to check out, the bill was wrong! They had charged us for the previous nights dinner as well despite us having paid for it. When I queried this and told them about what had happened the previous night, the morning staff weren't able to access the accounts system so I had to go and look out the receipt and credit card receipt to prove that I had in fact paid for dinner! Again this was sorted but it should not have happened! At no time did we ask for anything to be charged to our room, they just did it so a word of warning if you do stay, get a receipt for anything you buy if you pay cash and hold on to it until you check out! These little incidents aside, the only other issue some people might have would be to do with the bathroom door! It has opaque and clear glass section in it! The glass is in three sections and is opaque however there is a clear glass border around it and you can see inside the bathroom. They have cleverly put bathrobes on the back of the door to obscure the view slightly but it doesn't completely do the trick. All in all we enjoyed our stay and when we next cruise out of Southampton again, we'll stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room higher up than the first floor and at the front.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I stayed here for an evening meal, one night with breakfast the followinf morning prior to going on a cruise leaving from Southampton.
I had an extremely enjoyable pre-cruise time here. The owner was polite, avuncular and very easy-going which is appreciated all the more when travelling solo.
I enjoyed a wonderful Italian evening meal, including wine and banter from the waiters. My room was clean, comfortable and had all the trimmings including a well-stocked mini-bar. I had assistance with my bags too.
I would definitely stay here again plus it is very convenient for the Southampton Docks.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Christine F
Reviewed 15 April 2014

It started off well. I booked online, arrived an hour or so later, had my payment card checked, name verified and shown by a helpful, friendly member of staff to my room.

I had just finished getting changed and was thinking about options for dinner, when I heard a key in my room door. When you pay for a hotel room, you expect privacy, right? Well that's not something they seemed to want to give me at this hotel. Before allowing someone to burst in I approached the door and tried to unlock it to see what was going on, but the person on the other side had the key jammed in the lock so it wouldn't work. After a small struggle they seemed to let go and I managed to open the door.

"ARE YOU BOOKED INTO THE RIGHT ROOM SIR??!!", a rather rude and patronising woman barked at me. I think she was a member of staff, as there was an embarrassed looking man with a suitcase standing next to her. I took him to be another guest.

"Yes, I think so", I replied. After all, I had been shown to the room by another member of staff, who'd already checked my ID.

"WHAT'S YOUR NAME?", she barked. I was rather surprised by her tone, manner and general rudeness.

I told her my name and after a big sigh she muttered that she was "going to check". So, it appeared that I was actually being accused of having deliberately booked into the wrong room. This was a first for me.

A few minutes later the phone in the room rang out. "WHAT'S YOUR SURNAME?". It was her again. "YOU SEE I HAVE TO MAKE SURE YOU ARE CHARGED THE RIGHT AMOUNT, AND NOT SOMETHING MORE THAN YOU'VE PAID FOR". Well thanks a lot sister, but that's pretty much the norm in hotels, isn't it? I was left feeling that somehow I had done something wrong. Her angry and aggressive tone was very puzzling indeed.

By now my patience was running out. I repeated my name once again, and asked her if anyone else was going to try to get into my room tonight? I was given a reluctant apology and an assurance that I would not be disturbed again.

I thought perhaps I would receive some further acknowledgement of this appalling error on the part of the hotel. I've never stayed anywhere where a member of staff is attempting to force their way into a room I've paid for, nor have I EVER been spoken to like that by a hotel worker anywhere in the world. Perhaps someone would have noticed what had gone wrong and offered a bit more of an apology. A drink on the house maybe? Some sort of a gesture. Maybe I wouldn't need to pay for parking? But no, nothing.

I actually felt concerned for the rest of the evening that someone else might burst in. There is no deadlock or chain on the door, so there was no way of making sure for myself that it would not happen again.

I went out for dinner at a local Thai place across the road, which was excellent.

Returning to my room I noticed that the temperature was very high. The aircon had stopped working 10 minutes after my arrival. With all the strange behaviour from the hotel staff, I didn't bother reporting it.

I was in a room at the front of the hotel. Whilst it was clean with a comfortable bed, the noise was unbearable. Along with the intense heat and the worry that someone else might try to enter my room I hardly had a wink of sleep.

Vegetarians are clearly unpopular in this hotel as we are not offered a cooked breakfast. Oh no, that's just for non-vegetarians. The continental option consisted of toast, cereal and a strange plate of fresh fruit in a bowl full of....orange juice. Another first for me. Friendly enough service, but I wish the staff would talk to each other about deodorant and hairspray out of earshot..... I was entertained by an ant running around my table. It was the icing on the cake really.

I mentioned my list of complaints upon leaving. The person I told seemed mildly interested, and said she would make sure the member of staff who was rude to me and tried to burst into my room would receive 'feedback". I was offered an apology, but no discount, which is really what was required for such appalling service.

Needless to say, I can not recommend this odd little place and I certainly won't be staying here again in the future.

Room Tip: A room at the rear is probably less noisy that than rooms at the front, but after my experience I can't think of anything that this hotel has going for it. Best avoid it, save money and stay in a nearby Premier Inn.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business