“Oh My Gosh ; Taste the Beauty of India!”
Review of Indian Melody

Indian Melody
Ranked #87 of 952 Restaurants in Southampton
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: the first and only authentic indian vegetarian restarant in Hampshire
Reviewed 12 October 2013

To taste something wonderful, that you could not even have imagined before...is to visit this restaurant.

Or, experience the wonders of India once again if you have travelled to India and eaten traditional food there, by visiting this restaurant.

The food, lassi and milk drinks, as well as the Masala tea were flavoured with a beautiful array of ingredients; creating an experience I had not had since I visited India over 7 years ago. The unique, other-wordly atmosphere of India came back to me.

It is the most authentic Indian I've tasted; it made me realise how pretty much every other restaurant in the UK does not actually serve Indian food!

Rich in flavour and texture, creamy paneer based dishes, and interesting spices in even simple dishes like the lemon rice. All their dishes are freshly prepared in view of the customer, and can be made to order. They include lots of these exciting new foods I've never tasted, and the concept of the 'Thali special' or lunchtime buffet allows you to try lots of different dishes. The mango lassi was the best I've ever had.

The only let-down is the lighting, but, you can tell the owners enjoy an authentic atmosphere, between the occasional tasteful Indian music and incense.

The restaurant staff were very friendly and helpful in explaining some of the food.

I'd recommend the paneer, dhals, rices, dosas, potato dishes :). Oh, the lassi, Masala tea, and the traditional Indian orange-coloured desert; yummy :).

Do you want to experience what food in India tastes like? Well, I hope you visit, because it is a real jem in Southampton. I'd be very sad if it wasn't there and only the mediocre restaurants survived.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

I visited the Indian Melody recently when depositing my son at University. We are both vegetarian, so were looking forward to a good meal. However. we were very disappointed. We waited a good 10minutes before being offered a menu to look at, and having observed the owner bully another table of dinners into ordering what he told them to, we made our choice without help. When the owner came to our table I asked if we could order and told him what we wanted before he could choose for us. Clearly this annoyed him as he didn't ask if we wanted any rice or breads with our meal. The food came very quickly. I ordered the aubergine masala. It came in a metal dish and I wasn't given a plate to eat off. I still had a side plate from popodums so I used that. The masala was cold. I called "excuse me" to the woman at the bar (a few feet away), but she ignored me. I had to get up to attract the attention of someone who worked there and when I told them my food was cold it was quickly replaces. At no point did anyone say they were sorry that the food was cold. My son had a dosa which he enjoyed, even though he was also surprised that the small portions of curry that accompanied it were also cold.

Overall, the owner's attitude and the poor service has put us off ever returning.

2  Thank geedah
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Decided to try this restaurant to see if it might be suitable for a party. This restaurant has got to have the worst service for an indian food joint in Southampton.
We went in for the lunch buffet and were met by the owners wife. On asking her for the buffet we were told it was just like any other we would have had 2lentils rice and a sweet.
Not very polite considering we were there only customers for a bustling Sunday.
We decided to order from the menu
Rava Masala Dosa is a whopping 7pounds
1 lassi is 3.75
It was very expensive by the standards of a high street indian which serves vegetarian South Indian food.
Well was the food worth the wait.
Portions of sambar and chutney were microscopic. The dosa was well made. Asked for more Sambar. What surprised me was that the owner never bothered.
Terrible service.
31pounds for the meal.
I was not surprised the place was empty and remained so for the duration we were there.
The ownership lacks insight into good profitable dining experience trying to save on the sambar but loosing out on valued customers who might want to bring back more
This place will not invite my custom.
There are really. Good other indian restaurants in Southampton like Sanjha, Kutisexpress, Rasraj nearby on Oxford Street.

3  Thank draloksharma74
Reviewed 30 September 2013

The food in this resturant is cooked to perfection with the most incredible subtle Indian flavours.
The resturant is comfortable, welcoming and friendly.
Staff are happy to order in your own time and willing to suggest dishes upon request.
Highly recommended....

1  Thank Alex H
Reviewed 26 September 2013

i have been to this restaurant in Southampton with a couple of my English friends, the place is big with large tables where you have to get up to pick a dish on the other side, looks like novelty.

the owner or manager whose name is Ram but calls himself as Raam as in sheep and pronounces the same way sounded a bit odd,
he would come to the table and start explaining the poor guests how he started the joint and the philosy was to not to use any food coloring , less oil

but the food coloring indeed he used when we ordered gobi 65 and oil was floating on the bhindi masala.

this person was wildly gesticulating and insisting us to order for the Idli manchurian and Aloo Bonda , being Indian i know Aloo Bonda tastes the best when served from the frying pan to the plate, and more over Idli Manchurian is a result of the indian ingenuity but can only be made with left over idlis only fresh once will disintegrate in the oil.

however he offered us complementary of both the dishes which tasted awful,

the poor english waiters were completely lost as they refere the dish no instead of the dish name on the menu card.

Mr Ram this is not your passion but a way to earn your lively hood and stop hoodwinking unsuspecting locals.

3  Thank venky_1968