“Friendly place”
Review of Indian Melody

Indian Melody
Ranked #88 of 945 Restaurants in Southampton
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: the first and only authentic indian vegetarian restarant in Hampshire
Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

Visited at lunchtime to join friends for buffet lunch. Very hospitable people and the complimentary dessert was yummy. Thank you!

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Been here 3 times now and every time the food is excellent. Lunchtime deals are very good value and the only truly authentic place in the area. The decor is truly unique with an antique colonial feel and very friendly and helpful staff. I will always try and go back whenever I make the long trip to Southampton!

Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

Whilst on a trip staying nearby we stumbled across the restaurant whilst looking for a bite to eat. Menu looked good and a reasonable price, restaurant was nicely layed out and food came quickly, standard of good was good however one of the meals was a small portion, the meal was reasonable value for money. Would come again if in the area but, overall an ok experience

Reviewed 12 October 2013

To taste something wonderful, that you could not even have imagined before...is to visit this restaurant.

Or, experience the wonders of India once again if you have travelled to India and eaten traditional food there, by visiting this restaurant.

The food, lassi and milk drinks, as well as the Masala tea were flavoured with a beautiful array of ingredients; creating an experience I had not had since I visited India over 7 years ago. The unique, other-wordly atmosphere of India came back to me.

It is the most authentic Indian I've tasted; it made me realise how pretty much every other restaurant in the UK does not actually serve Indian food!

Rich in flavour and texture, creamy paneer based dishes, and interesting spices in even simple dishes like the lemon rice. All their dishes are freshly prepared in view of the customer, and can be made to order. They include lots of these exciting new foods I've never tasted, and the concept of the 'Thali special' or lunchtime buffet allows you to try lots of different dishes. The mango lassi was the best I've ever had.

The only let-down is the lighting, but, you can tell the owners enjoy an authentic atmosphere, between the occasional tasteful Indian music and incense.

The restaurant staff were very friendly and helpful in explaining some of the food.

I'd recommend the paneer, dhals, rices, dosas, potato dishes :). Oh, the lassi, Masala tea, and the traditional Indian orange-coloured desert; yummy :).

Do you want to experience what food in India tastes like? Well, I hope you visit, because it is a real jem in Southampton. I'd be very sad if it wasn't there and only the mediocre restaurants survived.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

I visited the Indian Melody recently when depositing my son at University. We are both vegetarian, so were looking forward to a good meal. However. we were very disappointed. We waited a good 10minutes before being offered a menu to look at, and having observed the owner bully another table of dinners into ordering what he told them to, we made our choice without help. When the owner came to our table I asked if we could order and told him what we wanted before he could choose for us. Clearly this annoyed him as he didn't ask if we wanted any rice or breads with our meal. The food came very quickly. I ordered the aubergine masala. It came in a metal dish and I wasn't given a plate to eat off. I still had a side plate from popodums so I used that. The masala was cold. I called "excuse me" to the woman at the bar (a few feet away), but she ignored me. I had to get up to attract the attention of someone who worked there and when I told them my food was cold it was quickly replaces. At no point did anyone say they were sorry that the food was cold. My son had a dosa which he enjoyed, even though he was also surprised that the small portions of curry that accompanied it were also cold.

Overall, the owner's attitude and the poor service has put us off ever returning.

2  Thank geedah