“Excellent service, friendly atmosphere, great food”
Review of Indian Melody

Indian Melody
Ranked #88 of 943 Restaurants in Southampton
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: the first and only authentic indian vegetarian restarant in Hampshire
Reviewed 2 December 2013

As one of the guests at the brithday party referred to by PBJB_13, I agree 100%. Ram (the owner) is really attentive, making sure everything went smoothly. The food was excellent, many ingredients sourced from their own farm in southern India. This is true Indian food, not 'anglicised' versions of it. Make sure you try the bananas - nothing like I've ever seen in the UK before!

Reviewed 1 December 2013

We had a lovely meal at the restaurant yesterday lunchtime. It was a surprise birthday meal for a friend's 30th birthday and there were 35 or so of us in the group. The owner and staff were very friendly and helpful and the food was very tasty. Nothing was too much trouble.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

I held my husband's 30th birthday party (it was a surprise!) at the restaurant. It was an amazing meal and so well cooked and served. I met with Ram (the owner) a number of times before the day and he was absolutely lovely, so enthusiastic and with such good ideas. He was absolutely dedicated to ensuring my husband would have a brilliant birthday party. He gave us such a lot of choice, answered my queries quickly and was always able to have a telephone conversation. I'd definitely recommend holding a party at the restaurant, and indeed eating at Indian Melody.

The food was fantastic, I would recommend the Idli Manchurian (which is my favourite), the vegetable kothu and the oothapam. Their fruit salad was amazing, as was the banana/peanut/cinnamon dessert (I don't know what it was called!) The staff were attentive, and the restaurant also caters for those with gluten and dairy intolerance.

Fantastic, we will be visiting again! :)

1  Thank PBJB_13
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Table booked for 2. Empty restaurant but it was only 7pm? Very unusual layout, un-matched chairs/tables randomly scattered around the place. A lot of wood, I suppose trying to entice a "colonial" aspect but didn't quite work. Waitress very friendly, menus given and drinks ordered (mine arrived late as the beer was "misbehaving"!?) but all done in jest.

The menus can be considered to be a bit confusing..

The set meals (Thali) come with 3 or 4 curries but after questioning if we can choose which ones we want as it doesn't say on the menu, we were informed it's not possible? The chef decides what you get and what he picks is not from the menu (so where is this secret menu?). Very unusual, thankfully I have no food allergies! Bit of a Russian Roulette thing going on here for the adventurous and daring!

Decided on the safest option and chose 2 starters - Onion Bhajie and Cashew Nut Pakoda. The bhajies were tasty, fresh straight from the fryer, just enough spice and very home cooked! The Cashew Nut Pakoda (£5.95!) a handful of spicy nuts in a bowl....not what I expected at that price, these would be more of something you would consider to be given as a free nibbles or bar nuts. I wouldn't pay for popadums as they are generally given as free appetisers as well?

The main was 2 x Peas Pilau, Aubergine Masala, Palak Paneer & 1 Plain Paratha. This food was very tasty!!! We both commented on the quality of the food (even though we were informed the Aubergine was spicy, the Paneer had more of a kick but we both like spice so all good) Nuts are included in the rice and this needs to be clearly noted on the menu.

The atmosphere was a bit flat, our conversation was flowing as we were the first to arrive, but tables filled up behind us quick enough. The owner appeared (have read previous reviews about him) kept himself to himself, plonked himself on one of the big empty tables and started to eat his meal like the head of the family. Nothing wrong with that, I think it's lovely when the owners mix with diners but in a half empty restaurant, and picking the biggest table ever to draw attention to the fact, seemed quite comical and set us into fits of giggles.

The staff were very friendly, the cooks in the kitchen as well. I couldn't fault them on that. The "Mrs" was entertaining and very attentive.

I couldn't fault the quality and tastiness of the food (apart from the let-down cashew nuts!) and at the end of the day, the food is what you come for. Don't expect attention to detail in other parts of the restaurant. I for one always judge a good place by their facilities available (and the state of them!) to gain an overall impression however we had a good entertaining evening and I like going to new places.

One thing I would say is the Health and Safety aspect. You have to walk over a rug that covers some sort of cable to get to the loo, the female loo was out of order directing you the disabled loo. Here you find the top cover of the tank on the floor, with a suspecting "stick" in the tank that you guess you have to press to flush the thing! day, the food is what you come for. Don't expect attention to detail in other parts of the restaurant. I for one always judge a good place by their facilities available (and the state of them!) to gain an overall impression however we had a good entertaining evening and I like going to new places.

Very tasty food and more like home-cooked that I am used to which is always a good thing. 3 stars as facilities need to be improved. If that was addressed, I would definitely give 4. One extra would be given if the menu was clearer and allergies advised of. If you are allergic to nuts, please ask before ordering. Would definitely go again to see what improvements have been made to the facilities. Worth giving another go.

(Check out the picture of Gandhi on the wall as you walk in. A legend in our culture but his feet in proportion to the rest of the body are absolutely massive! That made us chuckle to no end.....it really does not do him justice!)

Reviewed 17 November 2013

We had a lovely meal here last night. I had seen the reviews about the poor service so when my husband said the person he spoke to on the phone to book a table was really surly I was a bit worried. However my concerns were unfounded. The owner / manager was friendly and enthusiastic about his food and the waitress was happy to give advice and recommenations. The decor in the restaurant as well as the food was 'something different', really interesting and tasty. The biggest compliment is that my husband who is a die hard carnivore said that he said he really enjoyed it and would love to go back.