“Average Food, Dark "Cold" Atmosphere”

Basmati Indian Restaurant Southampton
Ranked #218 of 897 Restaurants in Southampton
Price range: US$7 - US$15
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Basmati Indian restaurant currently has branches in Locks Heath, Southampton. Petworth, West Sussex and Westergate, Chichester. Serving traditional and modern Indian Cuisine. The poultry and lamb are welfare audited and the vegetables are locally sourced. All food is free from any artificial flavours or colours.The award winning establishments offer a wide choice of popular dishes and signature dishes unavailable anywhere else. Executive chef Nasar Miah, has been listed in Britains top 100 curry chefs.
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Visited this restaurant with my wife earlier this week. The restaurant’s position within the Lock’s Heath Centre makes it very dark and completely window-less after walking past the reception area. So instantly you get a feeling of being in a basement (not the best of starts). The tables aren't covered, so a dated look is portrayed from the dark coloured wood table tops.

The service was too efficient – the dish warmer, rice and main course dishes were removed from our table literally within a minute of us putting our rice and curry’s on our plates! So, you can imagine, with no table cloth and just 2 plates on the table, it felt like you were sat at a café!

Starters were quite nice, even though mine weren't presented very well. My Tandoori Mixed kebab was served in a small bowl; one half of the dish was salad which looked like it was very close to it’s “use by” and the other half of the dish was the meat, stacked up in a pile. The presentation meant the dish looked like a tiny portion (even though it wasn't) and the salad was off putting. Saying that though, the meat was cooked very well, and tasted nice. My wife had the Tiger Prawn Puri which was presented a lot better than my dish, and tasted good.

I am a big curry eater, so I know what most of the common curry dishes are like, not just chilli heat wise but also taste, appearance and consistency of sauce etc. I ordered a Chicken Tikka Jalfrazi (i.e the chicken used has been cooked in the Tandoor prior to being used in the curry), and I don’t know what other people’s experience of a Jalfrazi are but I certainly expected it to be a curry which contains sauce; no, not this one, it was completely dry and with lots of chunks of onion. Additionally, Jalfrazi’s are on the hotter side of the chilli scale (it had 2 chillies against it in their menu, indicating it was one of the hottest curry’s they did), and normally they have whole green chillies in them. Well this dish was so mild I could have mistaken it for a chicken tikka dish (you know, the ones which normally come on skillets) coupled with the lack of any sauce whatsoever! My keema rice was spicier (seriously!). My wife had one of their house special dishes which was nice, but overall, the main course was nothing special.
We didn’t stay for desserts, so cant comment on them.

Overall, I felt quite underwhelmed by this restaurant; the food wasn't bad, but nothing special, however I won’t be rushing back purely based on the dark, “cold” atmosphere.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Had friends round for wife's birthday takeaway in garden. Read reviews on all local curry houses. This one came out top, despite friends saying we should go to Lowford Balti. It cost £110 and well worth it. Everyone without exception, including our Lebanese friend thought the quality was great. In our experience I can only endorse the previous positive reviews.

1  Thank Swanwick2013
Reviewed 12 July 2014

My boyfriend and I needed to find a new Indian restaurant as we were let down by our regular one. Trip advisor reviews for this place were really good and were not wrong. We had onion bhaji's to start which were excellent, small and crispy ones with a lovely fine cut salad and spicy sauce on the side. The lamb bhuna that I had was very tasty and my boyfriend enjoyed his kathmandu sweet and sour duck dish. we could not fault the service and their timings were spot on. the only thing we could be picky about was the tiny portions of the dips that came with the poppadoms but they were more than happy to bring me some more when I asked and didn't charge for it on the bill. overall an excellent first experience, we will definitely eat out here again.

1  Thank Helen C
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We were recommended basmati by a friend of ours and it did not let us down. The restaurant is lovely inside with very friendly staff. The food was fantastic.We will definately going back.

1  Thank ChrisM1987
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

Great food!!
Great staff!!
First visit and I will now be a regular.
With a large party bills and payment can be a nightmare but this all went without a hitch.
The staff wee truly exceptional!
The restaurant was clean and tidy and added with the great tasting food this is a truly brilliant place to eat.
Well done all!