“Was expecting much more if I'm honest.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Harbour Hotel

Grand Harbour Hotel
Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Was expecting much more if I'm honest.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

We stayed for a 2 day Spring Promotion break - Delux Room Sea View - Room 239 second floor.

I have to be honest I didn't really do my homework as to the exact location of the De Vere - Grand Harbour prior to my booking. I thought the hotel was by some kind of waterfront location - it isn't - it's very near a busy road - your eye tends to go to the Holiday Inn which is opposite. If your long distance sight is good there is some sea to see - but its not the lovely waterfront description that the hotels website describes !

Size of the room and the bed was excellent, nice and big.

I thought I would just have a look at the mattress - don't know why I did (I don't normally)! Under a lovely clean white top sheet was the mattress - with no mattress protector on it at all ! I thought it was standard practice to protect the mattress - we all sweat don't we ! On my side of the bed there was, what looked like 2 small blood stain marks - nice ! Quality of pillows poor - mine was quite lumpy.

Although the bathroom was fine - area around bath - could do with a bit of a make over.

The temperature of the hot water wasn't very hot for most of our stay. Normally if you run a bath you can't leave your foot underneath the running water as you would burn yourself, I however, was able to do this quite easily as the water just wasn't that hot. The hot water stayed 'not so hot' for the duration of our stay until the morning we left and then it was lovely and hot !

I had a swim in the indoor pool - lovely size pool but the temperature of the water was SO COLD - the water was freezing ! I timed myself for a painful 15 minutes before I threw in the towel (not literally) to my nice swim ! I spoke briefly to a woman who was just getting in to the pool to pre warn her how cold the water was. She had a membership to the hotel facilities and in fairness she said the water was usually lovely and warm ! So water temperature was an unfortunate theme for our whole stay !

Breakfast was very good - lovely choice of hot and cold food - cereals, fruit drinks, breads, muffins etc. Help yourself selection of hot food and a small menu was available to order at your table of other hot food.

We had a evening meal at the restaurant - bit pricey, but I would imagine a lot of corporate people who stay at the hotel have their meals paid for so aren't too worried. Please note they charge a service charge of 10% ! We had starters, main and dessert - all very tasty, but we couldn't afford to eat at the hotel for 2 nights in a row !

Hotel staff very friendly - we mentioned about the 'water issue' when paying our final bill when we checked out and in fairness the receptionist automatically took off our £10 a day parking fee - which was a nice gesture, as I'm sure she didn't have to.

For closeness to the shops De Vere couldn't be closer - so if your a hen party etc. its the perfect location - but overall I don't think we will be rushing back.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

We have just came back from a very expensive weekend at what was meant to be a fabulous family reunion it was the first time ever that all this side of the family was together. We booked 5 rooms in what we thought was a 4* hotel, along with a meal that is portrayed on the internet in an A La Carte resturant. When we arrived at the hotel at 2 o'clock yesterday (check in at 3) the first thing that they required was a more than hefty authority on my credit card which we did not object too and paid. Unfortunately from this point after things went wrong. Check in at 3 o'clock - rooms were not ready we were told they would let us know so we sat and waited. Eventually at 4 o'clock I was told my room was ready by which time some of the rest of my party had arrived. One of the party is disabled and we took great care in ensuring there was a disabled room booked for him and his wife, what a joke! Their idea of a disabled room beggers belief, in fact no different than a normal room. When I bought this up with a very rude and obnoxious duty manager today, I was told that I did not specify the disabled requirements ie, the party concerned is wheelchair bound. Be prepared if you book for anyone disabled to give intimate details of disability. The room supplied he was unable to get his wheelchair under the basin and furthermore he had a full sized bath. I had my sister and her daugher from up North, and they spent and excess of 3 hours travelling along with my sister her son and his wife from the Isle Of Wight. At no point were we informed, nor were any other guests at check in, or any other point that the hotel had no hot water! Infact, we had no hot water at all during our stary except briefly in the morning for about an hour. The pool has apparently been out of action for 4 weeks, again this was not disclosed on booking in. The disabled room that we booked was clearly meant to be a double, upon check in we were told it was a twin, which they did later alter. On top of this we found ourselves badgered almost immediately to pre-order our evening meals which we clearly do not expect and is totally unnacceptable. This was again followed up by a second and third request to pre-order. When i raised this issue i was accused of being a liar and told that this had not happened.

We had the resturant:
To start on a positive, the food here is 1st class! Unfortunately the resturant manager is rude and obnoxious and obviously has no customer service experience. When you look online they have lovely tables and chairs, as did all of the rest of the resturant. We were given 3 conference tables in the corner with conference chairs, 3 of my guests were so restricted for access they could not get their legs under the table! We were left feeling like we had the cheap seats. The hotel's responce was "we don't have a table big enough". Again, this was booked in excess of 3 months ago, and has been confirmed twice since. If they could not accommodate a party of 12 to eat a meal, should this not have been advised to us at the time of booking.

This morning on check out, was another joke! So many people complaining about the lack of hot water, the queues were in excess of 30 minutes. The hotel's responce was less that satisfactory as they are still charging every guest full payment for the rooms despite no hot water for the entire stay. When we left at 11 o'clock there was still no hot water.
The pool we understand is stone cold overall this is a total shambles and they have ruined a once-in-a-lifetime family celebration.
Furthermore, I was accused by the duty manager of causing trouble and unnessecary complaining, Had we been able to access our room on time, not have been badgered, had a fully accessible disabled room and hot water for a bath, all things we expect for a 4* hotel and not unreasonable we think, we would have had nothing to complain about.

They did offer us a bottle of champagne at one point (which really didn't add up to a third of a glass for each guest) but when delivered it was nothing more than a very cheap bottle of sparkling wine.

If you go to a travel lodge you expect travel lodge service, if you go to Mcdonalds, you expect Mcdonalds, if you go to the De Vere Grand Harbour expect dissapointment. Also, they don't tell you until you have any issues that they are not part of the De Vere group any more. It would appear that they have been taken over. So what you pay for and is advertised is not what you get. Would not reccommend ever to anyone.

Room Tip: stay someware else evan the back seat of your car at least you know what to expect
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Tony S

Travellers are raving about these Southampton hotels

Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2013

Five days before Easter Friday I booked a deluxe room with king size bed and sea view in this 4 star (remember that) hotel. I noted that it said you could reserve parking at a fee but no other information available.
Upon arriving and taking a ticket to enter the car park we were informed it cost £10 per night so adding a further £20 to our bill. Considering the charge for the two nights stay I wasn't happy but no other choice.
The staff were friendly and welcoming and the receptionist confirmed we had a deluxe room, sea view and said 'oh you'll love the room, it's got a balcony'. Then said its on the first floor. Oh oh alarm bells! We were asked if we'd like to book a table in the restaurant that evening and we said no but we would for the following night. They didn't have the reservation list for the Saturday so were told to come back and book a table in the morning.
The room was a generous size and the bed was huge. It did indeed have a balcony - overlooking a busy road, the Holiday Inn and the car park! If you stood to the far left of the balcony and leaned out as far as possible you could indeed see the sea! Or about 2 foot of sea.
We complained and were told there was another room on the same floor (?) or one on the fourth but it was a smoking room, one of five still available in the hotel.
My husband went up to see it and said it was an exact replica of the first room, had a great view of the sea but did smell very strongly of smoke. As he is a smoker he said he could put up with it but asked that they spray some air freshener which they said they would. They didn't!
Upon taking a closer look at the room, there was nothing deluxe or indeed luxourious about it, It was very old and tired, rips and marks in the upholstery, digs and marks in the woodwork, cigarette holes in the net curtains. We soon found the toilet only flushed now and then, and the water was tepid that night and cold the next morning. There was a mini bar as advertised but it was empty - you were supposed to let them know what you would like put in it (?).
We decided to try not to let it ruin the break and on the plus side the hotel is in a great location with a huge shopping centre 500 yards behind the hotel, old city walls and windy streets nearby and a short walk to the harbour and its restaurants. Also, the room and hotel itself was quiet up on the 4th floor and the bed comfortable, I had a good nights sleep.
The following morning we came down for breakfast and there was a queue which we waited in for around 10/15 minutes. We arrived at the front and the hostess took our room number and asked us to follow her to a table. She then proceeded to walk us around the room searching for a table whilst we followed her back and forth. Asking the waiters if the table was free, finally taking us to one that had dishes and crockery on the chairs she said 'take a seat here I'll get it cleaned for you'. As I sat down I realised someone was sitting there as there was a handbag under the table. So we got up and were finally found a table.
This dis-organisation was a shame as the breakfast was really excellent, plenty of choice, good quality, cooked breakfast buffet style but cooked to order too.
Upon finishing we passed reception and there was a huge queue so decided against booking a table and decided we'd be better eating a a nearby restaurant instead - their loss!
It's a shame as in it's day I'm sure this hotel was grand, but it has not been updated, it's tired and shabby around the edges. I felt that I didn't want to complain because, despite everything the staff were extremely polite and friendly and helpful and ....... apologetic so I found myself trying not to be too complaining, but maybe this is a ploy - the staff have certainly had good training - however, this should not excuse the fact that two nights stay and parking cost £300 in a hotel advertising its facilities and services as 4 star and fell far short.

Room Tip: The higher up you go the better the view and quieter the room
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Debra R
Surrey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

I was going to write a so-so review of this Hotel but our and many other families treatment on our day of leaving prompted me to change my view slightly. Firstly the parking -well you have to pay £10 to park a night but it seems if you have a Bentley or a Range Rover you can park on the double yellow lines for free with no ticket. After lugging your bags half way across the car park there is no concierge to hold open the door as they are too busy keeping warm to hold open the v heavy door and help a lady and a child with the luggage. I checked in agreed the rate that we had been charged and prepaid and that it was for 2 adults 1 child for 2 night and that the extra bed/sofa bed was made up. Yes its all been done madame there is nothing else to pay (we'll come back to this in a mo) We booked a sea view exec room and were on the second floor - room is old but was at least clean after seeing some of the pictures posted up from other guests. The Balcony was rusted and the view is not of anything other than a roundabout, the remnants of the old city walls and the Red Funnel Ferries - and below a stagnant pond belonging to the hotel with rubbish strewn across it , in it and dead reeds and plants. It was not a v nice view. The staff in the bar and restaurant are very friendly and the breakfast was a good assortment,fresh,hot and tasty. But it is in the breakfast area that caused bad blood not just to us but to basiclallly ever family staying there on their final day. Sunday our first Morning there- we sat and had breakfast - fine no problems. Monday I checked out paid the car parking and took the bags to the car whilst my husband and son took a table for breakfast - when I arrived there my hisband was fuming - saying that the lady on the front of the breakfast room was demanding £7.50 for my son to eat breakfast. I went and explained that I had already checked out paid the final bill and there was nothing more to pay. No if he wanted to eat I had to go and pay £7.50 at reception get a recipt and present it to her before he was allowed to eat anything. I went to reception - explained that the bill had been settled - I had booking confirmation that the room rate was for 3 and I had paid in full. None of this was mentioned at time of booking at time of check in or check out. She said they had made an error in not charging us for the previous day so wouldn't charge us for that but if he wanted to eat we would have to pay.I paid as we had a drive back and there wasn't time for us to go looking for somehere to feed him. My son is 11 so £7.50 isn't too bad but he only ate 1 raher of bacon and some toast so it is a rip off. All the other familes fared worse the poor couple on the next table were hit with a bill for £30 for their two under 5's who brought their own juice cups with them and ate a small bowl of fruit each. Another table were arguing loudly as they had 6 children between them and were being told even the babies were being charged. Ever person at Reception was angry and disappointed and the way the underhanded nature that they went about it changed my opinion from an ok for a night hotel to I would never use a De Vere again. It was fraudulent to say the least.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank pudge74
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2013

Received a very polite and efficient reception on arrival. In fact, all the staff in the hotel were excellent. The room with a sea view and balcony was very spacious and clean with modern decor, as was the bathroom which had a separate shower unit as well as a bath.
The restaurant was well run by excellent staff who were friendly and efficient. Plenty of choice both in the evening and at breakfast, which was good quality and well cooked. We had afternoon tea with champagne one day which was excellent, definitely recommend!
The only minus point was the car park charge. However, if you are the owner of the Porsche or BMW you can park directly by the hotel entrance on double yellow lines for free! Management please note.
A well positioned hotel, easily accessed by road, ideal for shops or harbour offering good service. Had a great weekend and would recommend.

Room Tip: Worth paying for a larger room.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

We stayed for the one night and found the staff friendly, the rooms comfortable and the location excellent for West Quay and the high Street and Above Bar Street.
We didn't have dinner in the restaurant although having read the menu wished we had been staying an additional night - it looked great.
The breakfast in the morning was really good. Predominantly buffet but also several options cooked to order. Again, very friendly staff.
There were some amazing deals for the spa as well but we unfortunately ran out of time.
Will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Blackpool
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

Loved this hotel!

Recently stayed here through work, for one night only, and was delighted with my choice.

A very grand entrance, coupled with pleasant staff and a nice room, but the room gave the hotel it's only poor point of my stay, so lets get that out of the way.
I found a Nurofen capsule on the floor of the room, just next to the desk. Not a big problem for me, but if I had had kids with me, who could have picked it up and eaten it, then it would have been a problem. I think the cleaner needs to check when vacuuming.
Don't get me wrong, the room was clean, but a little more care and attention to be taken.

The hotel restaurant is expensive, but boy is it worth it. I had a fantastic steak, I'm just glad my work was paying for it, and not me.

Yet another hotel where you have to pay for parking, but glad to say it had free wi-fi.

I would definitely stay here again, but it would be a treat, and not a budget stay.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business