We stayed for a 2 day Spring Promotion break - Delux Room Sea View - Room 239 second floor.
I have to be honest I didn't really do my homework as to the exact location of the De Vere - Grand Harbour prior to my booking. I thought the hotel was by some kind of waterfront location - it isn't - it's very near a busy road - your eye tends to go to the Holiday Inn which is opposite. If your long distance sight is good there is some sea to see - but its not the lovely waterfront description that the hotels website describes !
Size of the room and the bed was excellent, nice and big.
I thought I would just have a look at the mattress - don't know why I did (I don't normally)! Under a lovely clean white top sheet was the mattress - with no mattress protector on it at all ! I thought it was standard practice to protect the mattress - we all sweat don't we ! On my side of the bed there was, what looked like 2 small blood stain marks - nice ! Quality of pillows poor - mine was quite lumpy.
Although the bathroom was fine - area around bath - could do with a bit of a make over.
The temperature of the hot water wasn't very hot for most of our stay. Normally if you run a bath you can't leave your foot underneath the running water as you would burn yourself, I however, was able to do this quite easily as the water just wasn't that hot. The hot water stayed 'not so hot' for the duration of our stay until the morning we left and then it was lovely and hot !
I had a swim in the indoor pool - lovely size pool but the temperature of the water was SO COLD - the water was freezing ! I timed myself for a painful 15 minutes before I threw in the towel (not literally) to my nice swim ! I spoke briefly to a woman who was just getting in to the pool to pre warn her how cold the water was. She had a membership to the hotel facilities and in fairness she said the water was usually lovely and warm ! So water temperature was an unfortunate theme for our whole stay !
Breakfast was very good - lovely choice of hot and cold food - cereals, fruit drinks, breads, muffins etc. Help yourself selection of hot food and a small menu was available to order at your table of other hot food.
We had a evening meal at the restaurant - bit pricey, but I would imagine a lot of corporate people who stay at the hotel have their meals paid for so aren't too worried. Please note they charge a service charge of 10% ! We had starters, main and dessert - all very tasty, but we couldn't afford to eat at the hotel for 2 nights in a row !
Hotel staff very friendly - we mentioned about the 'water issue' when paying our final bill when we checked out and in fairness the receptionist automatically took off our £10 a day parking fee - which was a nice gesture, as I'm sure she didn't have to.
For closeness to the shops De Vere couldn't be closer - so if your a hen party etc. its the perfect location - but overall I don't think we will be rushing back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set sail for a unique stay at the 4-star Grand Harbour Hotel Southampton. Overlooking Southampton waterfront, this iconic hotel with its towering glass atrium is a cut above the rest. Visit one of two restaurants each with their contemporary cuisine or try the unique candlelit spa. If you are in Southampton on business we can facilitate any meeting requirements with our impressive function rooms and dedicated event co-ordinators. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotelopia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Booking.com and Superbreak UK so you can book your Grand Harbour Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- De Vere Grand Harbour Hotel Southampton
- De Vere Grand Harbour Southampton
- De Vere Hotel Southampton