Grand Harbour Hotel
Average 3/5
  • Pool
Great 4.5/5
2,063 results
All reviewscruise packagecruise terminalone night staybuffet styleshopping centregood nights sleepwest quayatriumshipportdocks
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 April 2013

I stayed overnight on business, as we had a conference room booked for a small event. Free wifi, helpful staff, nice lunch in both the break out areas and in the main hotel restaurant (although we did have to chose evening meals at lunchtime, but that's hardly a problem). All our requests for photocopies, parcel tape and other weird things were dealt with promptly.
My bedroom was spacious - no view, but I didn't spend much time there, comfortable bed too. Television was HD, a minibar fridge (stocked on request), iron board all provided.
Leisure facilities were also clean and pleasant. The pool was rather warm for my liking (apparently there was a problem with the pool filling from the hot water tap only) but not a bad size for a hotel (approx 18m maybe) but could get full at peak times. There was a gym, and a spa, but I didn't look in there.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 April 2013

The customer service at this hotel was excellent! From the time we checked in to the time we left the hotel, I can honestly say that the staff did the hotel proud with their customer service skills - everyone from reception, concierge to the waiting and bar staff. Nothing was too much trouble for them and they were apologetic for our inconvenience when a situation occurred, including the lengthy wait for room service and the maintenance man who came to assist with our complaint of no hot water for the second evening running. Compliments to the chef as the food was exceptional! However, that is where the compliments stop and it was with regret that I had to complain to the hotel, which after 3 weeks they have still yet to acknowledge despite faxing, posting and e-mailing my letter of complaint to the hotel and Head Office customer service.

We decided to have an Easter break away and aware of the De Vere name and not having stayed in Southampton previously, The Grand Harbour Hotel seemed the ideal place and hence booked our 3 night stay. When we arrived at the hotel around 1pm, the receptionist checked us in, and although check in was not until 3pm, we very much appreciated this having spent a longer than expected 3 hours traveling. However, they claimed not to have received our e-mail for dinner reservation despite I using their e-mail address on their webpage. Apparently, they were in the process of changing owners and said that the e-mail address I had used was not active.

First impressions on entering the room were of disappointment at the quality. The room upholstery and furniture was outdated. The armchair was badly frayed to one side. The up-lighter had a mind of its own and flickered constantly. One of the lamp bulbs blew and was not replaced. The bathroom, albeit very small, had floor tiles that were in a sorry state of repair with many requiring replacement as they were broken and tile grout was missing in many areas. However, that was not the worst of it. There was no hot water around 6pm for the three days we were there. One night I opted to have a bath and managed to have about one and half inches of warm water, to which I had to top up with boiled hot water from the room kettle. I contacted reception who reported that they were “not aware of any problems”, but that she would ask maintenance to look into it.

To cut a long story short the maintenance man advised that they have been having problems with the water, not only with the temperature, but the supply too and by being on the fourth floor, we were going to be one of the last guests to receive a good supply of hot water to our room. He did say that it would be best to leave it a couple of hours, as late afternoon/early evening is prime time for people to use the washing facilities. There was always hot(ish) water in the mornings for showers.

One night I ordered room service and placed my order at 8pm. I was advised the waiting time was around 50 minutes, which I was ok with. At 9:30pm, finally, there was a knock at the door and our food had arrived. The man did apologise, confirming the unreasonable length of time we had to wait for our food, and thanked me for my patience.

We were going to raise these concerns at the time of our checkout. However, it would appear that other guests had similar ideas and as we felt it was not the fault of the receptionists (there was a queue to see the duty manager).

It was a shame, but as paying customers, we expected hot water 'on tap'. I have never, ever experienced a stay in a hotel that has ‘run’ out of hot water – even at a £19 per night Travelodge. Considering that we have stayed at The Grand Hotel, Brighton, (another De Vere hotel) and had a completely different experience.

Room Tip: Opt for balcony. Enough space for two chairs, but worth paying the extra to prevent 'cabin fever' and to appreciate Southampton!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank littlemiscomplicated
Reviewed 22 April 2013

We wanted to stay at the best hotel in Southampton for the best day of our lives but i am sad to say that this was not to happen. Our guests all booked in but we could not as they had no record of our booking. Tom was amazing, he soon found us a room. When after nearly two hours waiting we where showed to our room. I was totally amazed at the lack of interest in the bride and groom. The bed looked like a box with a smaller mattress slung on it with a dirty yellow base cover. It looked like it had not been changed from previous guests. The finger prints on every surface shone in the sunlight reflected through dirty windows. The shower cubicle was mouldy and frankly it looked very unwelcoming. A little dated i can handle but to stay on your wedding night in filth is just not acceptable. I nearly cried. We were moved to the Tilly suite which was alot better but still a lack of basic cleaning was obvious..Two beds had been pushed together and as they moved the blue carpet became white with an inch of dust. All hand rails, window frames door handles had never had a wipe over. This was true in lifts and surfaces throughout the hotel.
Breakfast was just perfect and worth every penny, it was the best we have had from any of our many stays in hotels. Hot, tasty and well served.
We did enjoy an apology of a bottle of water and four chocolates. Not bad for £280 for two nights room and breakfast. We would have gone home but had guests in the hotel and in our home.
On a high note the staff are so nice and very helpful.
My daughter left her i pad in the room and we didnt notice for hours after leaving but the maids had handed it in which showed how honest they were. Thankyou very much... What a shame they cant say they work in the best Hotel in Southampton until its refurbishment later this year. World Hotels who have bought them out will make it a stay to remember i wonder if they will re-do our wedding nights.......... UM

Room Tip: View over the water was lovely....
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Erica B
Reviewed 20 April 2013

Stayed in February 2013. Was given a nice room overlooking the harbour. Room was nice. Nothing Special. It was comfortable and clean.
Staff was excellent. really looked after my wife and I.
Dinner was mouth watering. Standard Breakfast. Nicelly cooked.
I could not fault the staff and the service.
Would be back. Ask for upgraded room.

Room Tip: Ask for their Executive rooms. Basic rooms are very average.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Patrick L
Reviewed 19 April 2013

We stayed in the De Vere because of it's local reputation as being a 'grand hotel' as well as the fact it was family friendly and we have a small child with us.

The location is great - near enough to the seafront to get a decent view yet just a moment outside of the hustle and bustle of the shops and main road.

The building itself isn't fabulous - windows look a bit hazy and the style a bit dated. The reception area is quite nice and the layout of the restaurants / bar areas are nice enough. There isn't a 'wow' factor though and like many larger hotels, it is slightly impersonal.

Our room was indeed very large. A king size bed with a sleeper sofa - however the bathroom was old and tired as well the furnishings. It could definitely do with a 'freshening' of some sort. Service was ok... restaurant service incredibly slow on our visit (we wound up having half of our dinner sent up as room service as it took so long) but the food was indeed quite lovely. Starters were both mediocre however both of the mains were very very good. Breakfast was rather miserable though, considering the price (Full English Buffet but most things looked dry, re-heated etc. Pastries were fresh and made a nice display) No one was ever attending the carvery section when we were there either...

I suppose this review is slightly hard to write as it is not a bad hotel, but not a remarkable one either. It is nice that it is family friendly and there is an array of choice for everyone. The location is good and if you are looking for something that ticks a bit of all boxes than this would probably be the one. I just didn't experience anything that was remarkable.

If I go back to Southampton with my family, no doubt I'll stay here. It's just too easy and it did serve its purpose... If I go back with just my husband, we will probably stay at the Pig in the Wall across the street. Gorgeous boutique hotel (completely different league) with amazing bedrooms (we were shown two)... same price as the room we were staying in at the De Vere however miles apart in terms of style and luxury.

Room Tip: Get an ocean room above the first floor.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family