“dont stay here or park here or use leisure facilities”

Grand Harbour Hotel
Ranked #20 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 17 May 2013

I am disappointed enough to come on here and share my experiences of Grand harbour southamtpon I have been coming to this hotel for 34 yrs and now that it has been taken over I must voice my opions as I have done to the management team but they dont seem to care either ! we are paying for leisure facilites of which half the time they cannot be used freezing cold dirty broken or just being use for swim aroebics, the chaining rooms are dirty and smelly and some lockers dont work, staff are rude and have a dont care less attidude and management say pay up or shut up ! the gym equipement is old and outdated and broken and and generally used for the staff who overtake the place, and now they have the adasity to only let us park for four hours well I cannot have breakfast and go to gym pool jazucci and sauna and steam room in four hours, if I pay to park extra I pay 2.50 per hour and I can park in council car park adjacent for 1.20 ????
The staff here are rude and they couldnt care less !
come on management why dont you answer the questions instead of hiding in your offices ???
People on here are complaining and they would like the hotel to sort itself out but you will not why not ???
answer please on a postcard ???

Room Tip: none dont stay here you have to pay 15.95 for breakfast and another 2.50 for a cappuncino or latte...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank worldtraverller

Reviewed 14 May 2013 via mobile

Arrived after 6 hour drive. Both reception staff ignored me and were rude when they finally bothered to check me in.

Room and water from taps smelt stagnant. Shower was grotty.

Bed sagged on one side - I will send them my physio bill !

Ordered breakfast in bed for 9.20am - I phoned them at 10.40am to chase it. It arrived with no apology at 11am. No milk for tea!

Chased milk. Arrived 11.30

11.45 being hassled by staff that I was time to check out.

Phoned reception .

Hassled again to check out.

However - there is a lovely boutique hotel called the pig - just opposite and I'll definitely stay there next time

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank Dr_beau
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Nice hotel, quite clean. Good night sleep. Nice views. Friendly Service, good food. The spa and swimming pool area needs LOTS of work is in desperate need of TLC! The gym equipments are pretty dated too. Over all a good stay, and no complaints as such.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 May 2013

A night to remember for all the right reasons. My last review of Southampton's Grand Harbour was less than positive. I am delighted to report that things have changed. In fact this trip was so good it could have been a different hotel. The staff were friendly and attentive, the food was excellent (in fact the scallop starter was stunning) and nothing was too much trouble.
My early morning swim was a solitary delight in a warm and inviting pool, the jacuzzi bubbled beautifully and the sauna was clean and relaxing.
This trip was to celebrate my son's 18th birthday so it was important it was memorable for the right reasons which it was and will be for years to come - he even had a card and chocolates from the hotel waiting for him in his room on arrival. We had booked an 'executive' room for him as a treat, with sofa and armchair, balcony overlooking the harbour and a huge bed - he loved it.
Would we go back? Yes without question. Well done De Vere. Keep up the good work.

Room Tip: waterfront views are worth paying for.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank chillaxphoenix
Reviewed 11 May 2013

We spent 3 nights here and have mixed feelings about the hotel. We stayed when it first opened and it was state of the art, now it is tired and in need of upgrading which I believe will happen next year.
Our standard room was spacious and the bathroom okay, clean, but all tired, a bit faded glamour. The rooms need to have air con fitted as it was cold outside but hot inside.

The breakfast is excellent, we had one evening meal in the restaurant which again was excellent, and reasonable value.

We found the staff very friendly and helpful (certainly different from from some previous reviews) I think a lot of people don't bother to engage with the staff and consequentially don't get the best from them. Yes we pay our money but they appreciate reasonable guests.

A couple of nights a week there is a young lady who plays piano in the bar, she is a fine pianist and plays requests and certainly makes your night more enjoyable.

The hotel offers good access to the city and cinema etc. and retains a relatively modern but staley air.

Room Tip: Try to get a sea view room
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2013

Me and my husband travelled from Spain for a few days. When we arrived we were welcome by Tom and Alex at the reception. Very nice and friendly young people. The room was clean and the food was really nice :) all the staff were very friendly for us.
I am a person on a wheelchair and at the last day when we were checking out we had a very bad situation. Concierge Adam was very rude and arrogant. I think that he thought that me and my husband don't speak English, because we have spoken in Spanish, so he stood there with some lady, and I will remember that to the rest of my life what he said to her 'finally the end of the wheelchair racing'. That was very rude and inappropriate. I wish to come back there because I really enjoyed my stayed there, but the concierge ruined my whole view of this place

• Stayed: May 2013
4  Thank MariaDeto
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Have just returned after 3nights stay and have to say I disagree with some of the other reviews,we had a smooth check-in ,rooms were ready before 3pm,ALL the staff were friendly and we have good banter with the staff. I will agree with other review tthe bathroom tiles were cracked,I spoke to a member of staff who said a refurbishment was due to start in September of this year.Found the food good and served hot we have waterside rooms with balconies and enjoyed the stay

Room Tip: As above,have a balcony water side room,plenty to see
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends