“not worth the price”

Grand Harbour Hotel
Ranked #20 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We were supposed to arrive early AM but due to four missed flights did not arrive until 1:30AM the following morning. We were departing on a cruise that day and had booked the hotel with dinner and breakfast. They informed us that they couldn't do anything about refunding the cost of dinner (for three) but we could order room service. There were only three or four selections at this hour so we elected the pizza which was terrible. The room was small, the fan in the closet dirty and we had to bring all seven bags up ourselves. We had to find the desk clerk to check in as he was in the back room (asleep?)Breakfast was fine. Our driver missed the hotel the first two times as all outside signs were dark and unreadable. Had we not remembered where it was we would not have found it. When this was the Devere Grand Harbour it was much nicer. Truly a disappointment as we had told our daughter what a wonderful place it was. We would not recomment this hotel and would prefer the Novotel down the street should we cruise out of Southampton again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Madhu B, Operations at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Dear Polsson

I was sorry to read of your troublesome journey to arrive at The Grand Harbour in the early hours of the morning prior to your cruise and disappointed that your stay at the hotel did not meet your expectations.

Unfortunately as with any hotel we do have a limited number of team members on duty during such times of the day, however please be assured I have discussed your comments with our Reception Manager to ensure they are communicated to our night team. With regards to the signage for the hotel I will investigate this in order to avoid a similar situation in the future. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused to your when arriving at the hotel. On a positive note I was pleased you were able to enjoy breakfast prior to departure.

As you mentioned the hotel was sold earlier this year and I am delighted to say that the Grand Harbour Hotel is to receive a £4milion pound investment in the New Year, this will include a total refurbishment of the bedrooms with the installation of Air-conditioning plus new beds and a full refurbishment of the restaurant and bar area, I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the future in order to restore your faith in the hotel.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

We have used this hotel for a number of years for pre cruise nights. It is a decent hotel that does package deals including transfer to port. Good dinner menu although service can be a little on the slow side.

Room Tip: get a room with river view to watch your ship sail in if you are an early riser.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Madhu B, Operations Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Dear SueWatt

It was pleasing to read your feedback, thank you for taking the time to write this review.

I have noted your comments regarding service in the restaurant and have discussed this with our Restaurant Manager.

We look forward to seeing you again soon,

Reviewed 29 September 2013

This was our third girls weekend visit to grand Harbour Hotel. Woken by fire alarm at 0130 and then spent a cold hour in the carpark with no information from hotel staff. Roll call did not include our group and subsequently found out from staff next morning that 30-40 guests unaccounted for meant that fire crews had to search every room. This prolonged return of guests to their rooms.
Future learning points. Get staff to tannoy guests so that they know that they need to be accounted for. Ditch the clipboard and use modern technology ie tablets and have accesss to guests mobile numbers as a quick call would have established that we were in the carpark and not in the hotel.The lack of communication was pivotal in guests not having a clue what was happening. The man with the clipboard who should have been accounting for guests looked to be sidetracked by guest with requests as he went into hotel and came out with ? towels /blankets and didnt compete job in hand. Shame as hotel is very good value for money. Thankful that all were safe.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with balcony facing harbour - much quieter and nice view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank MaggiemayCamberleyUK
Madhu B, Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Dear MaggiemaycamberleUK

Thank you for your review and feedback, please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused to you with the unexpected fire evacuation. Please be assured all necessary procedures are in place at the hotel to deal with such situations, however the time of the evacuation did indeed have an impact on the number of hotel staff available compared to the team we have working during the day. We do hold regular training sessions for all team members in line with legal requirements.

I notice that this is your 3rd visit to the hotel and I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome your back to the Grand Harbour Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

This is a good one-night stop before a cruise, but the hotel itself has some problems. The room was clean, yes, and the doorman was especially helpful, but not worth it for the price. There was construction going on, so only one bank of elevators worked. The computers were down at checkout, causing a big, slow line to leave. The included breakfast was not included for some reason the rude host tried to explain, so it cost extra. It was not worth it. The food was pretty mediocre. We also ate dinner there the night we arrived and found the staff uninterested in doing much work. One bright spot is that across the street in the old Southampton city walls and some very interesting historic sites. Next time, we will choose a different hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure your breakfast is included when you book. They have some convoluted rules about what is a...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kschroed

Dear kschroed

Thank you for your feedback, I am glad that there were positive aspects to your stay but disappointed you feel unable to return and that your dining experience did not meet your expectations.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any shortfall in service and standards during your stay I have discussed your feedback with our Executive Chef and Restaurant Manager in order to address the points you made.

With regards to the IT breakdown unfortunately as I am sure you will appreciate this is generally a matter beyond our control; however I will ensure for the future the correct procedures are in place to minimise the disruption.

The short term inconvenience in relation to the lift maintenance is all part of our forthcoming refurbishment. In the New Year the Grand Harbour Hotel will see the start of a £4milion refurbishment for the bedrooms, restaurant and Bar. Air-conditioning will be being installed in the bedrooms along with new beds.

The hotel strives to ensure our guests wish to return and I do hope we may have the opportunity to restore your faith in the Grand Harbour Hotel.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

It was nearly clean enough, the service was good enough and the breakfast was very good. The complimentary wifi was pretty fast.

I had an executive room with a balcony facing the harbour, so the location was pretty good too.

We had room service, which was diabolical. The pizza seemed as if it had been taken from the freezer and microwaved, and it cost way too much money.

I had requested that the minibar be stocked in advance, but it wasn't and I couldn't be bothered with the inconvenience of someone coming to do it once I was in the room.

There was a grotty looking stain on the sofa in my room.

Champagne afternoon tea out on the terrace was delightful. Really filling and delicious.

The attention to detail in this hotel is not good enough, but it wasn't terrible either. I've stayed in executive rooms across the road and the Grand Harbour is better, in my opinion.

The bed was enormous, firm and comfortable.

The temperature in the room was too high, even with a window open.

Checking in and out was a breeze.

Room Tip: Executive rooms face the harbour but if you leave the window open there will be some traffic noise.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank flyingscotsman2

Dear flyingscotsman2
Thank you for your balanced and constructive review, I was pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. Please be assured I have discussed your feedback regarding room service with our Food & Beverage Manager and please accept my apologies for the inconvenience experienced when your minibar wasn't stocked prior to your arrival. With regards to the point you make about the temperature in your room I am delighted to be able to say that the Grand Harbour Hotel will be receiving a £4 million refurbishment in the new year which will include a full refurbishment of the bedrooms, restaurant and bar with air conditioning being installed in all bedrooms. In the meantime we have started a maintenance programme which includes re grouting the bathrooms and replacing shower curtains.
I'm pleased you had a good nights sleep and found check in and check out easy and stress free.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

We stayed at this hotel on Saturday 21st September 2013, having booked this through Laterooms.com back in March 2013. We booked a "deluxe room with breakfast" at a cost of £305 for the night. We arrived at approximately 12.15 p.m., a little early for check in, therefore we were told that the concierge would look after our bags in the meantime, as we were going into the Boat Show. The first problem was that our bags were left right beside the reception door where it would have been possible for anyone to have very easily taken a suitcase or bag without anyone being aware of this. We had to point this out to them and wait for them to move our bags before we were happy to continue with our day. Having returned to the hotel later and checking into our room we were disgusted to find our bathroom floor was covered in pubic hair! The shower was dirty and had black mould all around the seals also. Anyway moving on, the carpet was threadbare, the room was dark and extremely basic, the minibar was empty and the bedding was not nice. (I can imagine they have better in prison). We tried to ring down to room service three times but the phone was left ringing out therefore we gave up in the end and went out for our meal. In the morning we had breakfast, which to be fair was okay, I would say average. On checking out we unfortunately found the hotel had charged us another £35 for breakfast, which we had already paid for in our original booking, which our invoice from Laterooms clearly states. We stood at the reception desk trying to point this out for quite a while although the receptionist didn't seem to grasp the point and then having waited again to speak with the manager we decided to give up and set off home. We are now trying to take this up with the hotel via email but things are certainly not looking promising. I would advise anyone looking to stay in Southampton to certainly try somewhere else.

Room Tip: Try another hotel!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Madhu B, Operations Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Dear Dannielle150
Thank you for your feedback, however I was very disappointed to read your comments. Having investigated the points you have made please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfall in standards and service your experienced during your stay, I understand that you have now received a refund for the incorrect breakfast charge.

With regards to the bedroom facilities, I can confirm that we have started a programme of maintenance works in order to improve the grouting in all bathrooms plus replacing shower curtains. However in the New Year the hotel will start a £4million refurbishment which will include a full refurbishment of all bedrooms and the restaurant and bar plus air-conditioning in the bedrooms and new beds.

I will certainly discussed your comments regarding the ordering of room service with our Restaurant Manager, at the hotel we work hard to continually improve our service and our guest feedback is important to us in ensuring this happens.

I really hope that we are able to welcome you back to the Grand Harbour Hotel so that we may have the opportunity to restore your faith in the hotel.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

I stayed at the hotel for the boat show weekend. On the Saturday (21st) I ordered breakfast in bed. This arrived 25 minutes late and was inedible. We called room service and complained and were told they would redo the breakfast, which would have made us at least 60 mins late. Alternatively we could go to the restaurant for breakfast. We declined.

On checking out the next day I was presented with a bill for £35 for breakfast in bed for two! On reiterating my complaint, I was left waiting at reception for 45 minutes to be told by the duty manager, Ken, that since he couldn't prove whether I ate the breakfast they were not prepared to refund this charge. It seems I should have brought the breakfast tray or photographic evidence to reception if I wanted a refund!

We have stayed at this hotel on a number of occasions and have been happy with the food in the evenings (although very pricey) but this hotel is 100% focused on short term gain - my bill for this weekend was in excess of £700 and the attitude of the manager has lost this hotel a customer.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank a_j_dunlop

Dear a-j-dunlop

I am very disappointed to read your review, please accept my apologies for not meeting your expectations and for the shortfalls in service you encountered during your stay.

I have investigated the points you raised and discussed your comments with our Duty Manager who has advised me that a full refund for breakfast was deducted from your bill prior to your departure.

I do hope you will change your mind and give us the opportunity to restore your faith in the service and standards we provide at the Grand Harbour Hotel.