“A very comfortable stay”

Grand Harbour Hotel
Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“A very comfortable stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

I've recently stayed at the hotel with my husband and baby daughter as we had a family party to attend just outside of Southampton. We chose the hotel as it has a pool and the price appeared pretty reasonable and competitive compared to others in the city which looked to have little to offer as alternative options. I must admit I'd read a few reviews of the Grand Harbour prior to our visit and I could feel myself starting to have the convulsions of a panic attack whilst driving on the M27 that our room would be small, devoid of natural day light and the bathroom would be covered in mould as per the negative reviews that were going through my mind.

We arrived and I have to say the hotel is very grand looking from the outside and very elegant inside, the reception staff friendly and helpful and almost straight away I started to feel relaxed.
The room was larger than I expected, it had the cot we had requested in it and was very comfortable, warm and clean. We ate lunch in the bar which was excellent albeit a little slow in arriving.

The pool was great, ideal for children and we enjoyed swimming in there with our daughter who absolutely loved it.

Breakfast the next morning had everything you could want and having had a very comfortable sleep, we were in good spirits. It tasted great. It was a shame our waitress seemed a little 'uptight', but our exerberant daughter did however manage to get a smile out of her eventually.

All in all a really good place to stay and I really wouldn't listen to anything negative on here, any faults are very minor and the people that have given poor reviews can only be very unhappy individuals, or have meaningless lives needing to nitpick about trivial matters. Recommended stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Madhu B, Operations Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Dear Laura

I'm delighted you had an enjoyable stay at the hotel and thank you for positing such a positive review.

I will of course discuss all your comments with our Team Managers as we continually strive to improve our service and meet our guest’s expectations, and such constructive feedback is important to us.

We are very excited about our forthcoming hotel refurbishment where we will be investing £4million in to the Grand Harbour Hotel, I truly hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back so you are able to experience the changes we make.

Kind Regards
Mandu Balakrishnan
Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

This is not the first time I have been to their leisure center which is located upstairs. The hotel and restaurant and especially the bar is lovely! However the stuff (in particular some new young female) was extremely rude! Won't go back unless they close down all the gyms in the Southampton.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Dear Lola6614

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to the hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies for the dissatisfaction you experienced when using our Leisure Club.

I understand that you have discussed your comments with our Assistant Leisure Club Manager, who has responded and resolved this matter to a satisfactory end. As a hotel we pride ourselves on ensuring a warm welcome is received by not only our leisure club members but all hotel guests, and your feedback is important to help us continually achieve this.

On a positive note I am pleased to read that you enjoy visiting our restaurant and bar and I do hope that we are able to welcome you back very soon.

Rushden, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

This is what you'd expect from a 4 star hotel. Very friendly staff and all the usual facilities.

The rooms were clean but the bathroom tiny. The tiling on the wall around the bath looked a bit tired. You could see where the sealant had been replaced. It wasn't dirty but just looked like it was starting to age.

The restaurant was very good. The waiting staff excellent as was the food. I had oysters and lobster, well cooked and well presented.

Using my own rating, would I take my wife here? Yes I would.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear GlenRobinson

Thank you for taking the time to leave a balanced review, I was please to read that you enjoyed your stay and in particular you found the team to be friendly and welcoming,

I have noted your comments regarding the 'tired' feel to the bathrooms, we have started a programme of maintenance to replace the grouting and shower curtains in our bathrooms in order to address this standard.

I am delighted to say however, that the Grand Harbour hotel will be receiving an investment of £4milion in the New Year. This will include a total refurbishment of the bedrooms including the installation of Air conditioning plus new beds and a full refurbishment of the restaurant and bar areas.

These are very exciting times for the hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Syracuse, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

We were supposed to arrive early AM but due to four missed flights did not arrive until 1:30AM the following morning. We were departing on a cruise that day and had booked the hotel with dinner and breakfast. They informed us that they couldn't do anything about refunding the cost of dinner (for three) but we could order room service. There were only three or four selections at this hour so we elected the pizza which was terrible. The room was small, the fan in the closet dirty and we had to bring all seven bags up ourselves. We had to find the desk clerk to check in as he was in the back room (asleep?)Breakfast was fine. Our driver missed the hotel the first two times as all outside signs were dark and unreadable. Had we not remembered where it was we would not have found it. When this was the Devere Grand Harbour it was much nicer. Truly a disappointment as we had told our daughter what a wonderful place it was. We would not recomment this hotel and would prefer the Novotel down the street should we cruise out of Southampton again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Madhu B, Operations at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Dear Polsson

I was sorry to read of your troublesome journey to arrive at The Grand Harbour in the early hours of the morning prior to your cruise and disappointed that your stay at the hotel did not meet your expectations.

Unfortunately as with any hotel we do have a limited number of team members on duty during such times of the day, however please be assured I have discussed your comments with our Reception Manager to ensure they are communicated to our night team. With regards to the signage for the hotel I will investigate this in order to avoid a similar situation in the future. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused to your when arriving at the hotel. On a positive note I was pleased you were able to enjoy breakfast prior to departure.

As you mentioned the hotel was sold earlier this year and I am delighted to say that the Grand Harbour Hotel is to receive a £4milion pound investment in the New Year, this will include a total refurbishment of the bedrooms with the installation of Air-conditioning plus new beds and a full refurbishment of the restaurant and bar area, I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the future in order to restore your faith in the hotel.

Operations Manager

Travellers are raving about these Southampton hotels

Gateshead, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

We have used this hotel for a number of years for pre cruise nights. It is a decent hotel that does package deals including transfer to port. Good dinner menu although service can be a little on the slow side.

Room Tip: get a room with river view to watch your ship sail in if you are an early riser.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear SueWatt

It was pleasing to read your feedback, thank you for taking the time to write this review.

I have noted your comments regarding service in the restaurant and have discussed this with our Restaurant Manager.

We look forward to seeing you again soon,

Pulborough, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

This was our third girls weekend visit to grand Harbour Hotel. Woken by fire alarm at 0130 and then spent a cold hour in the carpark with no information from hotel staff. Roll call did not include our group and subsequently found out from staff next morning that 30-40 guests unaccounted for meant that fire crews had to search every room. This prolonged return of guests to their rooms.
Future learning points. Get staff to tannoy guests so that they know that they need to be accounted for. Ditch the clipboard and use modern technology ie tablets and have accesss to guests mobile numbers as a quick call would have established that we were in the carpark and not in the hotel.The lack of communication was pivotal in guests not having a clue what was happening. The man with the clipboard who should have been accounting for guests looked to be sidetracked by guest with requests as he went into hotel and came out with ? towels /blankets and didnt compete job in hand. Shame as hotel is very good value for money. Thankful that all were safe.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with balcony facing harbour - much quieter and nice view.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank MaggiemayCamberleyUK
Madhu B, Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Dear MaggiemaycamberleUK

Thank you for your review and feedback, please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused to you with the unexpected fire evacuation. Please be assured all necessary procedures are in place at the hotel to deal with such situations, however the time of the evacuation did indeed have an impact on the number of hotel staff available compared to the team we have working during the day. We do hold regular training sessions for all team members in line with legal requirements.

I notice that this is your 3rd visit to the hotel and I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome your back to the Grand Harbour Hotel in the near future.
Southern California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

This is a good one-night stop before a cruise, but the hotel itself has some problems. The room was clean, yes, and the doorman was especially helpful, but not worth it for the price. There was construction going on, so only one bank of elevators worked. The computers were down at checkout, causing a big, slow line to leave. The included breakfast was not included for some reason the rude host tried to explain, so it cost extra. It was not worth it. The food was pretty mediocre. We also ate dinner there the night we arrived and found the staff uninterested in doing much work. One bright spot is that across the street in the old Southampton city walls and some very interesting historic sites. Next time, we will choose a different hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure your breakfast is included when you book. They have some convoluted rules about what is a...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kschroed
Dear kschroed

Thank you for your feedback, I am glad that there were positive aspects to your stay but disappointed you feel unable to return and that your dining experience did not meet your expectations.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any shortfall in service and standards during your stay I have discussed your feedback with our Executive Chef and Restaurant Manager in order to address the points you made.

With regards to the IT breakdown unfortunately as I am sure you will appreciate this is generally a matter beyond our control; however I will ensure for the future the correct procedures are in place to minimise the disruption.

The short term inconvenience in relation to the lift maintenance is all part of our forthcoming refurbishment. In the New Year the Grand Harbour Hotel will see the start of a £4milion refurbishment for the bedrooms, restaurant and Bar. Air-conditioning will be being installed in the bedrooms along with new beds.

The hotel strives to ensure our guests wish to return and I do hope we may have the opportunity to restore your faith in the Grand Harbour Hotel.