“Beautiful Hotel”

Grand Harbour Hotel
Ranked #20 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Stayed 1 night with my husband in a executive double room and this hotel is lovely. The rooms are a good size and the bed is extra large plenty of hanging space for clothes, hair dryer and iron in room, bathroom good size. Hotel facilities great and breakfast was plentiful. Very close to local shops.

Room Tip: High floor great views
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Madhu B, Operations Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Dear Deb113

I was very pleased to read your reveiw, I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. We work hard to meet our guests expectations and ensure a warm welcome.

I will forward your comments on to all team members and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand Harbour soon.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

After reading lots of negative views of this hotel I was a bit concerned about how this hotel would be ! On arrival it was easy to park in the large car park, check in was a bit slow with only one receptionist at the desk. If you don't want to eat in the hotel other restaurants are close by, the room was lovely, big clean and bed was comfy. There is some refurbishment needed in the bathroom ( shower cubicle ! ) , Only had one bath towel to share between the 2 of us ( glad I used it before the husband ! ) . Breakfast was excellent rarely do you get black pudding and cooked gammon in a hotel. Overall a relaxing stay with friendly staff and comfy room.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Princesbold

I was pleased to read your constructive review, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

I have noted the points you raised regarding check-in and have spoken with our Reception Manager in order that we may ensure we adequately staffed at busy times. Please accept my apologies that your room was not made up for two guests and that the shower cubicle did not meet your expectations. We have an ongoing maintenance programme focusing on grouting and bathroom areas ahead of our £4million refurbishment which is due to start in the New Year, this will include the full refurbishment of all bedrooms, our restaurant and the bar area and will include the installation of Air-conditioning in all bedrooms and new beds.

I'm delighted that you were able to take advantage of our great location and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand Harbour in the future.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

This is hotel previously a Devere is fantastic for a pre cruise stay

Right in the heart between the Mayflower and the Ocean terminal this hotel offers a fantastic luxury stay for a good price.

The rooms although being a tad hot, are very spacious, most with balconies and very spacious bathrooms, also with fridge that you can stock yourself.

The breakfast at the hotel is wonderful with a lot of different options.

Hotel in areas looking a little dated such as the pool, but for a pre cruise stay I would 100% recommend this.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Graemo07

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on this site, I was very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Please be assured I will forward your feedback on to all our team members.

With regards to the updating of the hotel we will be starting a £4million refurbishment in the New Year which will include the installation of air-conditioning in all our bedrooms, plus new beds and the full refurbishment of bedrooms, our restaurant and the bar.

I trust you had an enjoyable holiday and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

We recently had our corporate event at this hotel. The staff could not have been more helpful from start to finish. I really didnt have to worry about anything. I was staying in the hotel and ate lunch, evening meal and breakfast. The food is of a very high standard. The bar needs a tiny facelift which it is getting in 2014 but the restaurant is amazing. The breakfast buffet is fantastic for choice and cooked fresh. No grease in sight. The swimming pool is lovely, although the stairs and surrounding areas could do with a lick of paint but this does not hinder you swimming in a lovely pool. There is no restriction as to when children can swim either which is great. As for holding a business event, we will definitely be planning it again next year at the same venue. It was hassle free. The rooms are of a good size and again could use a lick of paint but they are very comfortable and they are getting air conditioning in in 2014 which will make a massive difference. A credit to the Devere Group.

Room Tip: one overlooking the water is lovely but others have nice views of the old walls in Southampton.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Madhu B, Operations Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Dear Claire L

I was delighted to read your review following your recent business meeting at the hotel, thank you for taking the time to share your positive comments.

The hotel has actually been independently owned since earlier this year and as you mentioned we are to receive a £4million refurbishment, which starts in the New Year. This will include a full refurbishment of the bedrooms, restaurant and bar area plus air-conditioning is being installed in the bedrooms and there will be new beds in every room.

Its a very exciting time for the hotel and your acknowledgement of our continued hard work to meet our guests expectations is pleasing.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel not only on business but also pleasure.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

For the price we paid i expected more from the hotel. No air con and very long queues at the reception. They have a car park which they charge guests for!! The best thing about the place was the breakfast and the swimming area... however we wanted to take the kids swimming so we went out to buy them trunks at 6.30pm and when we returned to the hotel at 7.30 we were told that no kids after 7pm!! Why didnt they mention this when we told them we would return in an hour after buying swimming costumes?! VERY ANNOYING and 2 very upset kids!!
Service all around needs to be improved in this hotel and they need air con as it was very stuffy in our room!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Madhu B, Operations Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Dear Mihir2013
Thank you for your review, I was pleased to read there were positive elements of your stay and that your enjoyed breakfast in our Number 5 restaurant prior to your departure, however please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment you and your family experienced with regards to the swimming times for children and the lack of communication of this to you. Please be assured I have discussed this with our Leisure Club Manager in order that a similar situation does not occur in the future. We do have our in room guest directory which highlights infomration such as this for all guests.

With regards to the lack of air-conditioning I am delighted to say that we are due to start a £4million refurbishment in the New Year which will include the installation of air-conditioning into all bedrooms, along with new beds as part of the bedroom refurbishment plus a full refurbishment of our restaurant and bar.

We are continually striving to meet our guests expectations in all aspects of service and standards, therefore feedback such as this is important to us.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Grand Harbour Hotel.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

I've recently stayed at the hotel with my husband and baby daughter as we had a family party to attend just outside of Southampton. We chose the hotel as it has a pool and the price appeared pretty reasonable and competitive compared to others in the city which looked to have little to offer as alternative options. I must admit I'd read a few reviews of the Grand Harbour prior to our visit and I could feel myself starting to have the convulsions of a panic attack whilst driving on the M27 that our room would be small, devoid of natural day light and the bathroom would be covered in mould as per the negative reviews that were going through my mind.

We arrived and I have to say the hotel is very grand looking from the outside and very elegant inside, the reception staff friendly and helpful and almost straight away I started to feel relaxed.
The room was larger than I expected, it had the cot we had requested in it and was very comfortable, warm and clean. We ate lunch in the bar which was excellent albeit a little slow in arriving.

The pool was great, ideal for children and we enjoyed swimming in there with our daughter who absolutely loved it.

Breakfast the next morning had everything you could want and having had a very comfortable sleep, we were in good spirits. It tasted great. It was a shame our waitress seemed a little 'uptight', but our exerberant daughter did however manage to get a smile out of her eventually.

All in all a really good place to stay and I really wouldn't listen to anything negative on here, any faults are very minor and the people that have given poor reviews can only be very unhappy individuals, or have meaningless lives needing to nitpick about trivial matters. Recommended stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Madhu B, Operations Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Dear Laura

I'm delighted you had an enjoyable stay at the hotel and thank you for positing such a positive review.

I will of course discuss all your comments with our Team Managers as we continually strive to improve our service and meet our guest’s expectations, and such constructive feedback is important to us.

We are very excited about our forthcoming hotel refurbishment where we will be investing £4million in to the Grand Harbour Hotel, I truly hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back so you are able to experience the changes we make.

Kind Regards
Mandu Balakrishnan

Reviewed 4 October 2013

This is not the first time I have been to their leisure center which is located upstairs. The hotel and restaurant and especially the bar is lovely! However the stuff (in particular some new young female) was extremely rude! Won't go back unless they close down all the gyms in the Southampton.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Dear Lola6614

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to the hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies for the dissatisfaction you experienced when using our Leisure Club.

I understand that you have discussed your comments with our Assistant Leisure Club Manager, who has responded and resolved this matter to a satisfactory end. As a hotel we pride ourselves on ensuring a warm welcome is received by not only our leisure club members but all hotel guests, and your feedback is important to help us continually achieve this.

On a positive note I am pleased to read that you enjoy visiting our restaurant and bar and I do hope that we are able to welcome you back very soon.