“Disappointing spa break”

Ranked #19 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Disappointing spa break”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

My mother and I have just returned from a 'luxury' spa break at the Grand Harbour Hotel. Room was great and the food at the No. 5 restaurant (both dinner and breakfast) was faultless. However, the spa (the main reason for which we had booked the break) left a lot to be desired. Only staying one night at the hotel we were hoping to make the most of the spa facilities, however, on our arrival at the spa we found that both the steam room and the jacuzzi were out of order. Considering that these are vital components of a 'luxury spa break' (and half the facilities on offer in the pool area) and the fact that I had paid what I considered to be not an insignificant amount of money to treat my mother, I complained to the staff on duty. None of the staff seemed to be bothered with my concerns and only assured me that the steam room would be fixed by thursday (little use to us as we were leaving on the tuesday). I have since written a letter of complaint to the spa manager and have had no response. Poor spa experience and poor staff service.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Madhu B, Madhu Balakrishnan at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear Alice B

Thank you for you review, although I was disappointed to read that your Spa break did not meet your expectations. I understand our Leisure Club Manager has in fact been in contact with you following your email to the hotel.

I would just like to reiterate his sincere apology for the shortfall in standards and service you experienced and please be assured we have taken your points on board. I can confirm that a redecoration programme will begin in the New Year in the Leisure Club and Spa area.

With regards to customer service we work hard at the hotel to ensure we meet our guest’s expectations and offer a warm welcome, I was disappointed to read that on this occasion we failed.

On a positive note I was pleased to read that you found the rooms and food to be faultless, I do hope that we will have the opportunity to restore your faith in our Leisure Club in the future and welcome you back to the Grand Harbour Hotel.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
  • Hebrew first
Alnmouth, Northumberland, UK
Reviewed 29 October 2013

My daughter and I had a trip to the Southampton Boat Show and were travelling by train from London and back to Northumberland so we needed something convenient for both the show and the station. We left it too late and so the budget hotels were full. Surprising then that for the same price we got the Grand Harbour. It;s a 10 minute stroll from the station and the Boat Show was outside the hotel window.

I wanted fish and the daughter wanted meat. Allerton's, the fish and seafood restaurant, was closed but we discovered that you could get all their dishes served in Number 5, the British restaurant, so we were both happy and had great meals.

We will be back next year.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Madhu B, Operations Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear John T

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Grand Harbour hotel, I was delighted you had an enjoyable stay and indeed your trip to the Boat Show.

As you mentioned our Number 5 restaurant serves classic British cuisine with a contemporary twist and Allertons is our Seafood Restaurant, I'm so pleased we were able to accommodate both you and your daughter’s dinner preferences.

We look forward to seeing you next year.

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We visited southampton for the first time in may 2013, stayed at the Ibis before our first cruise on P & O AZURA. We went to explore the town on a sunny hot evening and came across the Grand Harbour hotel. It has a very impressive facade and position just outside the main shopping area and across from the harbour. We were very attracted to the unusual pyramid design of the building and as we already knew that we were returning in Septemb decided to check out what it would cost to stay there next time.

Our first cruise experience was fantastic, and after our return we did indeed find a great deal on the Grand Harbour and made the booking.

we arrived early evening by train and taxi and were immediately struck by the imposing design of the building, it is very unusual and stylish as befits a former De Vere property.

However impressive the interior is, and it is lovely, the level of service is lack lustre at best. Check in was horrible, slow with three stations but only two harassed receptionists. It wasn't even that busy but they were fully booked and trying to deal with guests, telephone calls and all manner of tasks at the same time. Forty minutes is unacceptable.

Our room was large comfortable but ultimately forgettable. We could not get the tv to work (tip which you wont guess, switch on the power socket nearest the tv as it is the power source for the tv, in all my many thousands of hotel visits has this ever happened before!) A label or other clue would have been helpful.

we booked an evening meal, and breakfast the following morning was included and both were magnificent feasts in a lovely dining room. However we waited over 45 minutes for the main course, when it arrived it was fabulous, and we concluded that the delay was due to my lamb shank being cooked to order and being the most popular dish of the day.

checkout was even worse than checking in. This time the receptionists were doing check in and check out simultaneously, and the queue was terrible, people, luggage, etc all vying for space in a crowded area.

We ordered a taxi from the concierges desk and waited outside for 45 minutes before going back to see why there was delay. The concierge rebooked our taxi and explained the there was five large liners in port and this was causing delays for taxis coming out of the port. It arrived shortly and the taxi driver said the same thing as he took us to the terminal.

Grand Harbour is an impressive hotel but with many shortfalls

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We r staying in this hotel before a cruise and we arrive happy to be there after a 5 hour journey. So when we get there we find out our room is cold we ring up 4times one out of the four times someone answers than we go three times to the reception about our room that someone will come and sort it out but nobody came. They say they would sort it out but nothing happened except that they bring a small heater which doesn't make a difference.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear 123456364645664

I'm sorry that you were left feeling disappointed after staying at the hotel; please accept my apologies for the shortfall in service you experienced.

Please be assured I have discussed your feedback with our Front Office Manager in order that we may improve our communication channels.

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review.

Operations Manager

Travellers are raving about these Southampton hotels

Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

Our room was lovely, the buffet breakfast excellent. We were disappointed that we had to pay £10 per night for car park. The spa was a huge disappointment. Changing room toilet doors had mould around handles and old shampoo cartons hadn't been picked up. The pool area was shabby and I refused to go into the pool. The floors were not very clean and it generally was a let down. The spa did not reflect the rest of the hotel.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Angela I
Dear Angela I

Thank you for your honest review, I was pleased that you enjoy your room and breakfast prior to your departure.

I was very disappointed to read your comments regarding our Leisure Club, please be assured I have discussed your points with our Leisure Club Manager in order that these can be reviewed and addressed, and please accept my apologies for any disappointment you experienced. I can confirm that the Leisure Club will start a redecoration programme in early January and that following our guest’s feedback will have instructed a new cleaning company to undertake the cleaning of our leisure facilities from December.

I do hope that we may be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

York, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We stayed for one night prior to our cruise. Every thing about this stay was very good. The room was clean and welcoming with a fabulous balcony view. The breakfast buffet was well stocked with touchable hot plates. The hotel arranged transfers to the ship which were most welcome. We left the car in the hotel's car park for the duration we were away.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Carol P
Madhu B, Operations Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Dear Carol P

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and positive feedback following your stay at the Grand Harbour Hotel.

It was a pleasure to read that the hotel were able to make the start of your holiday relaxing and enjoyable, I do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Nice public areas, friendly staff, great breakfast - shockingly dated rooms that desperately need a make over. Rooms are sooooo hot in summer they should be called saunas! Air-conditioning? Yes please - fit it asap.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank JerseyBean2011
Dear Jerseybean2011

Thank you for your balanced review, I was delighted to read that you found our team members to be friendly and enjoyed your breakfast prior to departure.

With regards to the updating of the hotel I am thrilled to say that the Grand Harbour Hotel will be starting a £4million refurbishment in the New Year, this will incorporate a full refurbishment of the bedrooms, bar and restaurant plus the installation of air-conditioning in all bedrooms and also new beds in every room.

It’s certainly an exciting time for the hotel and I do hope that we may be able to welcome you back very soon.