“Not so Grand”

Grand Harbour Hotel
Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
“Not so Grand”
Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

As the photos show rooms at the Grand are pretty tired and in need of a refurb. A shame as the location and stunning architecture deserves better. The bed sagged badly in the middle, sofa ripped, rusty bathroom fitments and stained grout. Restaurant was pricey but decent quality, though the menu was stuck in time. £10 overnight parking.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Madhu B, Operations Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear Zebroski

Thank you for your review, although I was disappointed to read that you felt the hotel was 'Not so Grand'.

The hotel will be starting a £4million refurbishment in January which will include a full bedroom refurbishment, the installation of air-conditioning in all bedrooms, new beds in every room and the refurbishment of the restaurant and bar areas. We will also be including a full redecoration of the Leisure Club.

With regards to our overnight parking charges these are set along side other local hotels offering a similar standard and service.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the Grand Harbour hotel in the future.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Not one for reviews, but was so annoyed by this hotel that I had to write one.

We went on a cruise from Southampton Port and decided to travel down the day before and stop over night in a hotel near the port. My wife decided she wanted a bit of luxury to add to the holiday so we booked the Grand Harbour Hotel. We paid around £164 for the night in a King Deluxe room with a sea view (just about a sea view).

Upon arrival we were impressed, the exterior is nice and looks like what we paid for. The moment we stepped into our room we realised that this was a hotel that had been let go. It seems like there has been no maintenance done on it for years.

The room had rips in the wallpaper, there were items out of use in the rooms with little labels on saying what the fault was. Then to top it off when it got dark we had no light, there were four lights/lamps in our room and only one had a light bulb, now this is something so simple to put right. We rang up the reception, because nobody was answering the housekeeping line and they told us they would send someone straight up. After waiting an hour and nobody coming we decided to go out to dinner, which was the best thing about the hotel, when we returned, still total darkness. In the end we decided to leave it as it was only one night and we were tired with an early start in the morning. All night long there was a whistle coming through the window, because it seems like the seal had gone, when you're right next to the sea you're bound to get wind, especially in October and it drove me mad all night that I couldn't sleep. There was also grime and limescale around the shower door, my wife wanted a shower, but, didn't fancy it so waited until we got on the ship.

My in laws stopped in another room and had a circular table that was simply impossible to put anything on as the screws had come out and the top part was wobbling all over the place, plus a mirror that was hanging off in the bathroom, simple things to fix. I get the feeling because this is probably an hotel that is mainly used to stay in for one night only before a cruise that they just can't be bothered to fix things.

I've given it a poor rating rather than terrible simply for the food which was good and the location, but, we definitely won't be stopping there again.

Dear Jairoc72

Thank you for your review, although I have to say I was shocked to read your comments and feedback regarding the level of maintenance in your bedroom.

I have personally undertaken a full investigation, discussing the points you raised with our Housekeeping and Maintenance Managers and whilst I can only offer my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you felt you experienced I have been unable to trace a room with such maintenance issues. We have an ongoing maintenance programme in place to ensure all such issues are reported and dealt with as quickly as possible and would certainly not allocate a guest a room which was not suitable or of a standard that is acceptable. With regards to the redecoration we will be starting a £4million refurbishment in the New Year when all our bedrooms will be refurbished, air-conditioning will be installed and we will receive new beds plus we will be refurbishing our restaurant and bar areas.

We certainly do have a number of guests that choose to start their cruise holiday with an overnight stay at the Grand Harbour Hotel; however we also have guests that are visiting the area, attending a conference or just enjoying dinner in our restaurant or the facilities we have at the hotel. I was disappointed to read that you felt the hotel 'just couldn't be bothered to fix things' please be assured this is not the case.

On a positive note I was pleased you enjoyed your meal in our restaurant and found the location an advantage during your stay.

I am truly sorry that you left feeling unable to return and hope that we may have the opportunity to restore your faith in the Grand Harbour Hotel in the future.

Operations Manager

Travellers are raving about these Southampton hotels

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for three nights.
Location excellent for easy access to city centre
Agree to some degree with previous review that decor etc slightly tired in places but found the hotel calm relaxing and all staff very friendly and helpful.
Breakfast well presented and of excellent quality.
South apton not especially well blessed with top hotels and i would choose to stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Wattsy52

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback following your recent stay at the Grand Harbour Hotel. I was pleased to read you enjoyed breakfast and took advantage of our great location.

I have noted your points regarding the decoration and I am delighted to say that the hotel will be receiving a £4million refurbishment which is due to start in January. This will include a full refurbishment of all bedrooms, the restaurant and the bar area, plus the installation of air-conditioning in all rooms and new beds.

It is a very exciting time for the hotel and I do hope that we are able to welcome you back in the near future.

London
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We stayed here with our daughter for one night whilst visitiing our son who is at Uni in Southampton. For only £20 more than a family room at a Premier Inn, it was well worth it. The breakfast was excellent & the room very spacious even for 3 of us. The hotel is in easy walking distance of lots of restaurants on High Street & Oxford Street. We ate at the Coriander Lounge on the High Street, which was very good & only a 5 minute walk through the old City walls. Perfect for a short stay.

Dear Pinkskiddly

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent stay at The Grand Harbour Hotel.

It was pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay and found the location and value for money favourable.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2013

My mother and I have just returned from a 'luxury' spa break at the Grand Harbour Hotel. Room was great and the food at the No. 5 restaurant (both dinner and breakfast) was faultless. However, the spa (the main reason for which we had booked the break) left a lot to be desired. Only staying one night at the hotel we were hoping to make the most of the spa facilities, however, on our arrival at the spa we found that both the steam room and the jacuzzi were out of order. Considering that these are vital components of a 'luxury spa break' (and half the facilities on offer in the pool area) and the fact that I had paid what I considered to be not an insignificant amount of money to treat my mother, I complained to the staff on duty. None of the staff seemed to be bothered with my concerns and only assured me that the steam room would be fixed by thursday (little use to us as we were leaving on the tuesday). I have since written a letter of complaint to the spa manager and have had no response. Poor spa experience and poor staff service.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Madhu B, Madhu Balakrishnan at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear Alice B

Thank you for you review, although I was disappointed to read that your Spa break did not meet your expectations. I understand our Leisure Club Manager has in fact been in contact with you following your email to the hotel.

I would just like to reiterate his sincere apology for the shortfall in standards and service you experienced and please be assured we have taken your points on board. I can confirm that a redecoration programme will begin in the New Year in the Leisure Club and Spa area.

With regards to customer service we work hard at the hotel to ensure we meet our guest’s expectations and offer a warm welcome, I was disappointed to read that on this occasion we failed.

On a positive note I was pleased to read that you found the rooms and food to be faultless, I do hope that we will have the opportunity to restore your faith in our Leisure Club in the future and welcome you back to the Grand Harbour Hotel.

Alnmouth, Northumberland, UK
Reviewed 29 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

My daughter and I had a trip to the Southampton Boat Show and were travelling by train from London and back to Northumberland so we needed something convenient for both the show and the station. We left it too late and so the budget hotels were full. Surprising then that for the same price we got the Grand Harbour. It;s a 10 minute stroll from the station and the Boat Show was outside the hotel window.

I wanted fish and the daughter wanted meat. Allerton's, the fish and seafood restaurant, was closed but we discovered that you could get all their dishes served in Number 5, the British restaurant, so we were both happy and had great meals.

We will be back next year.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear John T

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Grand Harbour hotel, I was delighted you had an enjoyable stay and indeed your trip to the Boat Show.

As you mentioned our Number 5 restaurant serves classic British cuisine with a contemporary twist and Allertons is our Seafood Restaurant, I'm so pleased we were able to accommodate both you and your daughter’s dinner preferences.

We look forward to seeing you next year.

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We visited southampton for the first time in may 2013, stayed at the Ibis before our first cruise on P & O AZURA. We went to explore the town on a sunny hot evening and came across the Grand Harbour hotel. It has a very impressive facade and position just outside the main shopping area and across from the harbour. We were very attracted to the unusual pyramid design of the building and as we already knew that we were returning in Septemb decided to check out what it would cost to stay there next time.

Our first cruise experience was fantastic, and after our return we did indeed find a great deal on the Grand Harbour and made the booking.

we arrived early evening by train and taxi and were immediately struck by the imposing design of the building, it is very unusual and stylish as befits a former De Vere property.

However impressive the interior is, and it is lovely, the level of service is lack lustre at best. Check in was horrible, slow with three stations but only two harassed receptionists. It wasn't even that busy but they were fully booked and trying to deal with guests, telephone calls and all manner of tasks at the same time. Forty minutes is unacceptable.

Our room was large comfortable but ultimately forgettable. We could not get the tv to work (tip which you wont guess, switch on the power socket nearest the tv as it is the power source for the tv, in all my many thousands of hotel visits has this ever happened before!) A label or other clue would have been helpful.

we booked an evening meal, and breakfast the following morning was included and both were magnificent feasts in a lovely dining room. However we waited over 45 minutes for the main course, when it arrived it was fabulous, and we concluded that the delay was due to my lamb shank being cooked to order and being the most popular dish of the day.

checkout was even worse than checking in. This time the receptionists were doing check in and check out simultaneously, and the queue was terrible, people, luggage, etc all vying for space in a crowded area.

We ordered a taxi from the concierges desk and waited outside for 45 minutes before going back to see why there was delay. The concierge rebooked our taxi and explained the there was five large liners in port and this was causing delays for taxis coming out of the port. It arrived shortly and the taxi driver said the same thing as he took us to the terminal.

Grand Harbour is an impressive hotel but with many shortfalls

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple