“The Grand Harbour Hotel,Southampton”

Grand Harbour Hotel
Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Mumbai, India
“The Grand Harbour Hotel,Southampton”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Me and my family of my wife, my son, my daughter-in-law & my grand-son prebooked this hotel for 2 Deluxe rooms, sea facing for 23-24NOV13.
On reaching we were given Room Nos:147 & 148, the former sea facing while the latter back-side facing.
The reception desk was not very good. Room 147's heating was not working, although the staff tried to rectify it, including the then Manager there, Mr Ken, but to no avail. Ultimately we were provided with a small heater.
Room 148's hot water in the wash room was certainly not hot. Imagine the difficulties we faced during the cold of November and that too in Deluxe rooms.
The hotel it self has a grand façade, is quite commodious, has a swimming pool, a Jacuzzi, a Spa, a restaurant and a Bar.
Since 3 of us were vegetarians, the fare offered was at the most pasta with vegetables.
As the rate included breakfast, we had a good one. The staff in the restaurant was courteous, helpful & fast enough, especially the attendant Ms Filipa. She always had a smiling face.
Overall the experience at the grand hotel was not so pleasant.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the sea and with a balcony are definitely a better choice.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stayed at the Grand Harbour hotel as part of a business delegation and so the hotel was not really my choice. While the hotel has a grand appearance, the service is poor, starting with the front desk, which is pathetic. The girls their take their own sweet time doing anything and most of the time are hurdled in the back office, even when they are fully aware that there are guests waiting at the counter.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Grand Harbour H... S, Operations Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear RSRathore

I was disappointed to read your feedback regarding your recent stay at the hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfall in service your received.

Please be assured I have discussed your comments with our Front Office Manager in order that improvements can be made.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We stayed at the Grand Harbour for one night, on arrival we went to the reception and were seen straight away.. we got to our room and on first impression the room was a lovely layout and quite roomy.. although the decor and furnishing were very drab and dingy.. and the loo didn't flush properly. On the Saturday night we went out and didn't get back until gone midnight, we went to the bar to order a drink and coffee only to be informed that they didn't take cash after a certain time and it had to be charged to the room. So had to go back to the reception to set all that up.. then go back to order the drinks.. the next morning we found a piece of paper had been fed under the door of our room with a breakdown of charges... (don't order a cappuccino.. its £3.80!!) . They had even included the £10 for the parking charge on the bill, which was not expected. Upon checking out we paid and handed in the access card.. but not once did staff ask if we had a good stay or was everything to out satisfaction... so customer service is something the hotel could improve!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Lindy10022

Thank you for your recent review, following your stay at the hotel.

I was disappointed to read that you felt customer service is something the hotel could improve on. We work hard to meet our guest’s expectations and continually strive to improve using our guest’s feedback.

With regards to charges at the hotel these are set in line with other local hotels offering a similar standard and service.

Having read your comments regarding the decor of the bedrooms you will be pleased to know that we are due to start a £4million refurbishment in the new year which will include the refurbishment of the bedrooms, restaurant and bar area. Air conditioning is being installed in all rooms along with new beds and our Leisure Club will receive a full redecoration.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Operations Manager

Travellers are raving about these Southampton hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2013

The Leisure Club staff are friendly but the facilities are faded and worn. Far too much is broken such as hairdryers, locks on lockers and locks on shower doors and soap containers. One of the sinks didn't drain properly and the water in the changing room showers wasn't hot. The pool was cold, the air temperature colder. Whilst a refit in the New Year is promised, there is little attempt to manage what there is there now which is unacceptable for a hotel that promotes spa breaks.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Grand Harbour H... S, Operations Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear GH367

I was disappointed to read your feedback of the Leisure Club following your recent stay at the hotel, please accept my sincere apologies for any shortfall in standards you received.

As you mentioned we are due to start a full refurbishment of the hotel in January with an investment of over £4million. This will not only included the refurbishment of all bedrooms, restaurant and bar area but also the redecoration of the Leisure Club, along with the installation of air-conditioning in the bedrooms and new beds. Outside of this we do have in place a maintenance programme that is ongoing and to ensure that the general maintenance of our facilities are maintained, however I am disappointed to say that on this occasion it would appear we failed. Please be assured I have forwarded your feedback to our Maintenance and Leisure Club Manager for immediate investigation.

You haven't mentioned your experience of the rest of the hotel, I trust this met with your expectation and I hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Cathedral City, California
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Booked this hotel prior to leaving for NY on a Cunard Cruise. Based on prior reviews we were hesitant. The management has changed as we were informed. We were booked into the Chilton Suite with a balcony and view of the harbor. The room was well appointed. The restaurant was well staffed and Gabriel, the server, went out of his way to help and get us refreshments and food.
The concierge booked us a taxi to harbor with a huge smile and made certain we were ready when the taxi arrived.
While there were a few things needing finishing, it was apparent they were working to get the hotel up to par. The main dining room was nicely finished and meals were very good as was service. I'd recommend this hotel and we will stay again, if only to explore Southampton which was quite a surprise with it's restaurants, hotels and shopping venues.
The castle wall still stands and it was interesting to see it from our hotel room.

Room Tip: Rooms with balcony and harbor views are preferred
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Dear Geofflee5747

I was pleased to read you found the hotel to be a great start to your holiday and especially received a warm welcome and great service.

As you mentioned the hotel was purchased by an independent hotel company earlier in the year and they are investing over £4million into the Grand Harbour Hotel with a refurbishment starting in January. This mean all the bedrooms will be refurbished, the restaurant and bar area also, plus the installation of air-conditioning and new beds. Our leisure will also be receiving a full redecoration.

It’s definitely a very exciting time and I do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We stayed overnight in advance of a cruise from Southampton. I was last there some years ago on a corporate event when the hotel was at its peak. Unfortunately things have faded since then, not least at check-in. It took almost an hour (no really) to go through the process, all because we booked through an agency who, according to the receptionist, had booked us to double rooms. By the time we got to our very average room we were fit to string up!
The saving grace was room service fish and chips which thankfully came up trumps.
The bed was nothing Ro write home about and the breakfast was no better than average.
All in the total cost came to £170 which was double what the night was worth. Not happy!

Room Tip: If you have to stay here contact the hotel for a price- we. Booked through Hotels.comand paid signi...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Milko09

Following your review on this site, I did contact you and asked for further details regarding your stay in order that I may investigate your comments further, unfortunately as you haven't replied I am unable to personally look into your specific reservation and stay at the hotel.

However, I would like to assure you that we take all our feedback seriously and was disappointed that you were not happy following your stay at the hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies for any shortfall in standards and service you experienced.

I have discussed your comments with our Front Office Manager in order that retraining can be implemented where necessary. With regards to the average room you describe, I'm delighted to advise you that we are due to start a £4million refurbishment in the New Year which will include a full refurbishment of our bedrooms, restaurant and bar area plus the installation of air-conditioning and new beds in all rooms. Our leisure club will also be receiving a full redecoration.

It is a very exciting time for the hotel and I do hope that we are able to welcome your back in the near future.

uk
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I had a horrible stay at this hotel the staff where rushing and gave us the wrong room there was no hot water to take a shower was told it was fixed after dinner but the next morning no hot water again. When I complained for the second time I found out I was in the wrong room and was told sorry you could not have a shower but you could of had a bath. The hotels web site does not tell you that some rooms have showers but you can not use them have a bath. The hotel were not helpful on giving a refund as I had booked and paid for the room with Agoda . Com
so we left having slept in a cheaper room than we had paid for and not been able to take a shower
And no refund.then ten days later they USED MY CREDIT CARD with out contacting me they had my card details as it was the card I gave them when I checked in for security of any extras the room had already been paid for and we did not have any extras. It's cost me money and time to get this sorted and all they can say is sorry for all the mistakes.Do not stay at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aglane1
Dear Mr aglane1

Thank you for forwarding your stay details so that we were able to investigate the points you raised regarding the unauthorised use of your credit card.

Having personally looked into the situation, I understand that you did in fact speak with our Guest Relations Manager who explained what had happened. However just to clarify for you, your reservation was made via a 3rd party, which I understand is prepaid by you at the time of booking. We receive payment from the 3rd party, so unfortunately we would not have been able to refund you directly for the room rate difference without confirming this or speaking with the 3rd party operator. Once this had been resolved with them after your departure and they had agreed to refund you and we would refund the 3rd party operator unfortunately a refund was made to your credit card in error instead of the card supplied by the 3rd party. This incorrect refund was reversed immediately and applied to the 3rd party card. I trust you have received the refund from the 3rd party operator directly.

I was disappointed to read that you felt you had a horrible stay at the hotel, please be assured I have discussed your comments with our Front Office Manager in order that retraining can be implemented. We endeavour to meet our guest’s expectations and continually work hard to achieve this, always learning from our guest feedback.

I do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back and restoring your faith in the Grand Harbour Hotel.