“terrible”

Grand Harbour Hotel
Ranked #20 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 2 December 2013

firstly let me say if management don't reply to trip adviser reviews don't go!!
my wife & mother went for a spa weekend in 29th September , I had arranged for a bottle of champagne to be in room on arrival ( not there )?
they went to call to reception ( phone in room didn't work )
after 2 calls from mobile phone a ( warm bottle arrived )
they went to spa ( fire alarms went off & they had to wait in holiday inn across the road for 3 hours ? no drinks so they had to buy there own ?
dinner that night ( oh no ) lamb shanks where uneatable , after complaining they said they had to grill them ? as fire men had turned ovens off ?
they went to bed hungry
breakfast was ok ,but they where so disappointed they came home
they didn't complain as there not that sort of people, but im still upset for them

we have stayed at this hotel probable 20 time when devere owned it
if management do read this and want to reply please do . ive tried calling to get some sort of refund but its all to late ?
what a shame .it was a very good hotel !

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Grand Harbour H... S, Operations Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear barny69

Having read your review, I was very disappointed that your Wife & Mother left the hotel unhappy and dissatisfied with their stay at the Grand Harbour Hotel.

As you can see from this review site we work hard to meet our guest’s expectations and investigate, respond and learn from all our guest feedback. What a shame they felt unable to speak to a member of the team whilst still at the hotel when we would have been able to resolve the points they raised.

As you mention the hotel was sold in February and is now privately owned. We are due to start a £4million refurbishment in the New Year, which will include a full bedroom, restaurant and bar refurbishment plus air-conditioning and new beds in all rooms and our leisure club will be redecorated.

It’s a very exciting time for the hotel and I do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back in order that we may restore your faith in the Grand Harbour Hotel.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

We booked in for one night, as out on an evening boat trip. We treated ourselves to a king executive room. We arrived and easily found a space within the car park, for a short well signed walk into the hotel reception area. check in was efficient, and soon we where in our spacious room. The king bed was massive and comfy.

The Room was clean, and in a good standard for a hotel built in 1994. The hotel is due a full refurbishment in 2014, and there are a few small signs, that it is needed.

The spa area was nice, with a pool, sauna, steam, and hot tub.

Photos of the Room, and the view.

Room Tip: you get what you pay for, pay the extra for a king size bed :)
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Grand Harbour H... S, Operations Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Dear Spikebmth

I was delighted to read your recent review following your stay at the Grand Harbour Hotel, thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on Tripadvisor for other readers to see.

As you mentioned we are indeed due to start a full refurbishment in the New Year. All our bedrooms, restaurant and bar area will be fully refurbished along with the installation of Air-conditioning and new beds plus our leisure club will be receiving a full redecoration.

It’s a very exciting time at the hotel and I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Grand Harbour Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

After reading the reviews I was slightly hesitant about staying here, albeit for only one night, but as the rest of the family/friends were it didn't feel right staying somewhere else.
We were late arriving and as we had a party to get to so didn't spend too much time in the room that evening. I can say the the bedroom & bathroom were immaculate, the only issue I had was where the tiles in the bathroom have risen which makes the door stick (don't try & force it closed otherwise you'd end up really stuck!) the bed was lovely & comfy, nice big thick covers which are a must in our current climate!! Breakfast was really good, plenty of fresh food constantly being supplied, very tasty! Was definitely a lot more enjoyable than expected, even if it was only a flying visit.

Stayed: November 2013

Dear Wednesday04

Thank you for your recent review and sharing your comments with other readers of this site.

Prior to the full refurbishment that is due to start in the New Year we have an ongoing maintenance programme to repair such issues as you describe. I will of course forward your comments to our Maintenance Manager in order that this matter may be reviewed.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand Harbour Hotel in the future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 26 November 2013

I stayed in this hotel when it was a Devere property, well have the standards dropped.! Although I do not listen to other guests moans, I did find a lot wrong with the hotel, perhaps Mr Balakristnan could contact me and I will let him know what I think. All in all, I had a good time over the weekend, the room was clean but a bit tatty at the edges, swimming pool to cold ,told this every time we went in, so why didn't they do something about! .Food in restaurant was excellent, plenty of choice, staff pleasant,only down side when hotel is full, they struggle to cope at breakfast, not enough tables.

Our one trip in to the bar was all I needed to make sure I had my drinks outside in Duke of Wellington and Weatherspoons. I can never understand why all hotels will overcharge for drinks, when outside prices are half as cheap.Surely they must know , reduce the prices and people like myself will stay in house and perhaps even eat in the restaurant

As I was with friends, I enjoyed our weekend, but British Hotels need to wake up and give better service, reduce prices on food and drink, (£15 for burger and chips!),and be more pleasantto the customers. I have been dealing with the public for over 45 years, and a hello and a how are you today goes a long way. Remember, if we don't come through the door, you have no business.

One other point, I kept being told that there was to be a £5 million pound refit in January, so why did I have to pay, top price for a room that you inform me is going to be renovated?

Room Tip: Ask for one looking over the west quay.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank jamessouthlondon

Dear Jamessouthlondon

Thank you for your taking the time to speak with me on the telephone, we strive to meet our guest’s expectations and listen to all constructive feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel following our refurbishment in June.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Me and my family of my wife, my son, my daughter-in-law & my grand-son prebooked this hotel for 2 Deluxe rooms, sea facing for 23-24NOV13.
On reaching we were given Room Nos:147 & 148, the former sea facing while the latter back-side facing.
The reception desk was not very good. Room 147's heating was not working, although the staff tried to rectify it, including the then Manager there, Mr Ken, but to no avail. Ultimately we were provided with a small heater.
Room 148's hot water in the wash room was certainly not hot. Imagine the difficulties we faced during the cold of November and that too in Deluxe rooms.
The hotel it self has a grand façade, is quite commodious, has a swimming pool, a Jacuzzi, a Spa, a restaurant and a Bar.
Since 3 of us were vegetarians, the fare offered was at the most pasta with vegetables.
As the rate included breakfast, we had a good one. The staff in the restaurant was courteous, helpful & fast enough, especially the attendant Ms Filipa. She always had a smiling face.
Overall the experience at the grand hotel was not so pleasant.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the sea and with a balcony are definitely a better choice.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stayed at the Grand Harbour hotel as part of a business delegation and so the hotel was not really my choice. While the hotel has a grand appearance, the service is poor, starting with the front desk, which is pathetic. The girls their take their own sweet time doing anything and most of the time are hurdled in the back office, even when they are fully aware that there are guests waiting at the counter.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Dear RSRathore

I was disappointed to read your feedback regarding your recent stay at the hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfall in service your received.

Please be assured I have discussed your comments with our Front Office Manager in order that improvements can be made.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

We stayed at the Grand Harbour for one night, on arrival we went to the reception and were seen straight away.. we got to our room and on first impression the room was a lovely layout and quite roomy.. although the decor and furnishing were very drab and dingy.. and the loo didn't flush properly. On the Saturday night we went out and didn't get back until gone midnight, we went to the bar to order a drink and coffee only to be informed that they didn't take cash after a certain time and it had to be charged to the room. So had to go back to the reception to set all that up.. then go back to order the drinks.. the next morning we found a piece of paper had been fed under the door of our room with a breakdown of charges... (don't order a cappuccino.. its £3.80!!) . They had even included the £10 for the parking charge on the bill, which was not expected. Upon checking out we paid and handed in the access card.. but not once did staff ask if we had a good stay or was everything to out satisfaction... so customer service is something the hotel could improve!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Lindy10022

Thank you for your recent review, following your stay at the hotel.

I was disappointed to read that you felt customer service is something the hotel could improve on. We work hard to meet our guest’s expectations and continually strive to improve using our guest’s feedback.

With regards to charges at the hotel these are set in line with other local hotels offering a similar standard and service.

Having read your comments regarding the decor of the bedrooms you will be pleased to know that we are due to start a £4million refurbishment in the new year which will include the refurbishment of the bedrooms, restaurant and bar area. Air conditioning is being installed in all rooms along with new beds and our Leisure Club will receive a full redecoration.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.