“Great value”

Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Helsinki
“Great value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

Stayed 2 nights in lateNovember2013. Hotel was quiet, staff attentive and breakfast just great. My room was spacious and tidy.
Only complain could mention is that the plumbing sounds like there would be drowned sea otters in the pipes.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank unukuo
Grand Harbour H... S, Operations Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Unukuo

Thank you for your review, I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be great value and enjoyed the excellent breakfast that we offer.

I have mentioned your points regarding the pipe noise to our Maintenance team for a full investigation.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Regards
Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

Booked a sea view room (a euphemism for water, as Southampton is on the Solent and the sea is at least ten Kms away), with a balcony.
First room had neither, but eventually, after some discussion, we were put into a room with a balcony, and a tiny view of water.
The room was clean, but somewhat strangely decorated in what one could call marine style, a bit odd for such an outwardly modern structure.
Okay for one night, especially before embarking on the QM2, not sure I would have enjoyed a longer stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lisa B
Dear Lisa B

Thank you for leaving your feedback following your recent stay at the hotel. I was pleased that overall you enjoyed your time at The Grand Harbour Hotel, we are due to receive a full refurbishment in the New Year and I do hope that you will visit us again and experience all that we have to offer plus enjoy the local area.

Southampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

Took my Mum as Christmas treat for afternoon tea. There were 3 in our party so we ordered for 3 but initially only enough for 2. This was queried so they brought more sandwiches but no additional cakes. When we spoke to the waiter he threw his hands in the, was sarcastic and rude. Complained to the duty manager who could only apologise. When we left saw a rat outside on the patio. We sat in the atrium area of the bar which is tatty, water ingress marks on the walls, dirty and stained furniture. Not what you expect from a 4* hotel. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY HERE.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Shopaholic676

Travellers are raving about these Southampton hotels

uk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

firstly let me say if management don't reply to trip adviser reviews don't go!!
my wife & mother went for a spa weekend in 29th September , I had arranged for a bottle of champagne to be in room on arrival ( not there )?
they went to call to reception ( phone in room didn't work )
after 2 calls from mobile phone a ( warm bottle arrived )
they went to spa ( fire alarms went off & they had to wait in holiday inn across the road for 3 hours ? no drinks so they had to buy there own ?
dinner that night ( oh no ) lamb shanks where uneatable , after complaining they said they had to grill them ? as fire men had turned ovens off ?
they went to bed hungry
breakfast was ok ,but they where so disappointed they came home
they didn't complain as there not that sort of people, but im still upset for them

we have stayed at this hotel probable 20 time when devere owned it
if management do read this and want to reply please do . ive tried calling to get some sort of refund but its all to late ?
what a shame .it was a very good hotel !

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear barny69

Having read your review, I was very disappointed that your Wife & Mother left the hotel unhappy and dissatisfied with their stay at the Grand Harbour Hotel.

As you can see from this review site we work hard to meet our guest’s expectations and investigate, respond and learn from all our guest feedback. What a shame they felt unable to speak to a member of the team whilst still at the hotel when we would have been able to resolve the points they raised.

As you mention the hotel was sold in February and is now privately owned. We are due to start a £4million refurbishment in the New Year, which will include a full bedroom, restaurant and bar refurbishment plus air-conditioning and new beds in all rooms and our leisure club will be redecorated.

It’s a very exciting time for the hotel and I do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back in order that we may restore your faith in the Grand Harbour Hotel.

Christchurch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

We booked in for one night, as out on an evening boat trip. We treated ourselves to a king executive room. We arrived and easily found a space within the car park, for a short well signed walk into the hotel reception area. check in was efficient, and soon we where in our spacious room. The king bed was massive and comfy.

The Room was clean, and in a good standard for a hotel built in 1994. The hotel is due a full refurbishment in 2014, and there are a few small signs, that it is needed.

The spa area was nice, with a pool, sauna, steam, and hot tub.

Photos of the Room, and the view.

Room Tip: you get what you pay for, pay the extra for a king size bed :)
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Grand Harbour H... S, Operations Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear Spikebmth

I was delighted to read your recent review following your stay at the Grand Harbour Hotel, thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on Tripadvisor for other readers to see.

As you mentioned we are indeed due to start a full refurbishment in the New Year. All our bedrooms, restaurant and bar area will be fully refurbished along with the installation of Air-conditioning and new beds plus our leisure club will be receiving a full redecoration.

It’s a very exciting time at the hotel and I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Grand Harbour Hotel in the near future.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

After reading the reviews I was slightly hesitant about staying here, albeit for only one night, but as the rest of the family/friends were it didn't feel right staying somewhere else.
We were late arriving and as we had a party to get to so didn't spend too much time in the room that evening. I can say the the bedroom & bathroom were immaculate, the only issue I had was where the tiles in the bathroom have risen which makes the door stick (don't try & force it closed otherwise you'd end up really stuck!) the bed was lovely & comfy, nice big thick covers which are a must in our current climate!! Breakfast was really good, plenty of fresh food constantly being supplied, very tasty! Was definitely a lot more enjoyable than expected, even if it was only a flying visit.

Stayed November 2013
Dear Wednesday04

Thank you for your recent review and sharing your comments with other readers of this site.

Prior to the full refurbishment that is due to start in the New Year we have an ongoing maintenance programme to repair such issues as you describe. I will of course forward your comments to our Maintenance Manager in order that this matter may be reviewed.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand Harbour Hotel in the future.

Kind Regards
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

I stayed in this hotel when it was a Devere property, well have the standards dropped.! Although I do not listen to other guests moans, I did find a lot wrong with the hotel, perhaps Mr Balakristnan could contact me and I will let him know what I think. All in all, I had a good time over the weekend, the room was clean but a bit tatty at the edges, swimming pool to cold ,told this every time we went in, so why didn't they do something about! .Food in restaurant was excellent, plenty of choice, staff pleasant,only down side when hotel is full, they struggle to cope at breakfast, not enough tables.

Our one trip in to the bar was all I needed to make sure I had my drinks outside in Duke of Wellington and Weatherspoons. I can never understand why all hotels will overcharge for drinks, when outside prices are half as cheap.Surely they must know , reduce the prices and people like myself will stay in house and perhaps even eat in the restaurant

As I was with friends, I enjoyed our weekend, but British Hotels need to wake up and give better service, reduce prices on food and drink, (£15 for burger and chips!),and be more pleasantto the customers. I have been dealing with the public for over 45 years, and a hello and a how are you today goes a long way. Remember, if we don't come through the door, you have no business.

One other point, I kept being told that there was to be a £5 million pound refit in January, so why did I have to pay, top price for a room that you inform me is going to be renovated?

Room Tip: Ask for one looking over the west quay.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank jamessouthlondon
Dear Jamessouthlondon

Thank you for your taking the time to speak with me on the telephone, we strive to meet our guest’s expectations and listen to all constructive feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel following our refurbishment in June.