“Tired and tatty”

Grand Harbour Hotel
Ranked #20 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 28 December 2013

2013 is the fourth year my wife and I have stayed at the Grand Harbour at Christmas.

Every year, it's shown it's age but this year it's reached an undeniably unacceptably low standard.

From trivial things such as the TV remote not working to greater inconveniences such as the steam room being out of order, only one shower in working condition in the male changing room and the bathroom in our room being decidedly below par in terms of cleanliness and general state of repair.

I understand a refurb is planned. Boy, is it necessary. In the meantime, you'd be forgiven for thinking they're letting the place fall apart.

Room Tip: Don't take a room with a link-attached door - noise travels straight through from your neighbour...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Grand Harbour H... S, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Dear Swiss6

It was a pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel for your forth Christmas visit, I was disappointed to read though that the hotel did not meet your expectations this year and you feel the hotel is being left to 'fall apart'.

I am delighted therefore to advise you that on 6th January the hotel started it's £4million refurbishment. Since February 2013 the hotel has been privately owned and this investment in to the Grand Harbour includes a complete refurbishment of all bedrooms, restaurant and bar area and also a full redecoration of the Leisure club to include any maintenance issues.

It’s a very exciting time for the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back to see the changes we have made.

Laura Roberts

Write a ReviewReviews (1,940)

Reviewed 23 December 2013

Stayed here one night in November for a conference. Front desk staff efficient, room comfortable and spacious. Other reviewers have said it is a bit shabby, there were certainly scuff marks on walls etc. if you looked for them but really, at least for the areas of the hotel I saw, it was not bad, I have seen a lot worse!

Food was very good - pleasantly surprised by that as often conference food is a huge let-down - and breakfast buffet was varied and tasty. Even the coffee was drinkable which is so often not the case.

Only thing that let it down was on contacting reception twice from my room for small problems, in neither case did they actually do as they said they would - once I asked for someone to come and sort the wifi and once to have a credit card charge removed from my bill , as I had used a debit card, and they said they would put a replacement bill under my door. The wifi miraculously fixed itself and I wasn't charged for the credit card, so it all worked out in the end, but just a bit irritating.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Grand Harbour H... S, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear alchemilla

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback on Tripadvisor, I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay and found in particular the food to be very good and the breakfast buffet varied and tasty.

I have noted your comment regarding the lack of follow up from our Reception team after you contacted them, please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused due to this. I have discussed the point you raised with our Front Office Manager in order that re-training of the team can take place.

It is a very exciting time at the hotel and we have just started our £4million refurbishment, I do hope that we will see you in the near future in order that you may enjoy the changes we make.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

Great if you are going on a cruise and wish to have an overnight stay before boarding. Pleasant staff and stunning bar area. A little jaded in parts and food a tad pricey but well worth a visit. I would certainly book again when next in Southampton.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Grand Harbour H... S, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Dear FrankandJules

I was pleased to read you had a nice relaxing stay at the hotel prior to your cruise and would be happy to return to the Grand Harbour in the future.

The hotel has now started the £4million refurbishment which will see the complete refurbishment of the bedrooms, restaurant and bar plus a full redecoration of the Leisure Club.

It's a very exciting time and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

Did not stay at this hotel, but booked a table for dinner in there No5 restaurant, and have to say it was the most tasty and satisfying meals. We got a nice round table, for 4 of us, pleanty of room, not squashed in like sardines, very comfy dinning chairs, with high back and arms, for dinner 2 of us had scollops with duck in a shredded veg salad, in a lovely dressing, my son had oysters, and the other had a nice scotch broth, all perfect, we also had lovely home made bread, really tasty.
For mains 2 of us had lobster thermidor, totally out of this world, the others had chatuebriend, again cooked too perfection and totalley melt in your mouth, and plenty of it, all mains got served with triple cooked chips , watercress and mixed salads, the dressing on the salads again, enhanced it. 3 decided to have dessert and all had freshly cooked chocolate soufflé, superb, very rich, but hey its xmas., all washed down with a very very nice 2009 roija. The hotel is about too go through in jan 2014 a complete refurb, and with out a doubt, we will go back and stay and dine, the staff all very pleasant, accommadating, just one thing do check your bill, we had 2 items on ours, that we did have, they took them off and apolgised, but it did take ages to sort out, but it was not a major issue.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Peter K

What a delightful review, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other readers of this site, I will of course forward you feedback to our food & Beverage teams.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed the night at Grand Harbour. 10 years since our previous visit, hotel looks tired and no buzz about the place. Everything was OK but money needs to be spent to bring it back to being special. Food was average and pricey. They added £2.50 credit charge to my bill which was shabby as I reserved on the internet and this charge was not mentioned.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 201WilliamM

Dear 201williamM

Thank you for your review, however I was disappointed to read that you felt the hotel was 'mediocre at best'.

I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and am delighted to be able to tell you that we have started our £4million refurbishment this week. All our bedrooms are going to be refurbished with the installation of air-conditioning and new beds, the restaurant and bar areas will be completely transformed and our leisure club will has started their complete redecoration. It’s a very exciting time at the hotel and I do hope that you will return to see the changes we have made.

With regards to the charge when paying by credit card, this is a standard policy within the industry and all guests are advised prior to payment being taken, it is also mentioned on our registration document which all guests are requested to read and sign on check-in. Please accept my apologies for any confusion regarding this matter.

Reviewed 13 December 2013

stayed as a works xmas night package night and quite impressed, lovely reception great rooms. The evening do was really well organised the food was great and the staff superb. The host was a bit cheesy and the music was a bit naff but must be me turning into my dad ..... it was also advertised until 1pm but closed at midnight.
Breakfast was really great one of the best buffet styles eaten this year and again staff absolutely spot on.
Leisure facilities if i was paying full price i would be asking for a refund the local baths opposite are in better nick!!!
Would recommend anyone to stay here and we'll be back but don't pay full price :-)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear sga4359

Thank you for your balanced review. I was pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay at the hotel.

I have noted your comments regarding the DJ and finishing time of your event and will discuss these points with our Operations Manager.

With regards to the Leisure Club facilities at the hotel, I am delighted to say these are currently in the process of being refurbished. We are investing £4million into the Grand Harbour to refurbish all bedrooms, including the installation of air-conditioning and new beds plus the complete refurbishment of the Restaurant and Bar area.

It’s an exciting time for the hotel and I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

One night stay as part of Christmas catch up with work. Staff friendly and helpful. Arrived around 6pm and was quickly checked in, no problems. Breakfast ok. Only negative £2.50 credit card fee at check out.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Orchardhouse2000

I was pleased to read your positive review following your recent stay at the hotel, I will of course share your comments with the team at the Grand Harbour.

I have noted your comments regarding the additional charge in respect to payment by credit card, this is a standard charge within the industry, however I will forward your comments to our Head Office for their review.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand Harbour Hotel in the future.