Grand Harbour Hotel
  • Bar/Lounge
Star Hotel(Southampton)
  • Pool
2,063 results
All reviewscruise packagecruise terminalone night staybuffet styleshopping centregood nights sleepwest quayatriumshipportdocks
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed for a New Year's Eve dinner. Our experience on checking in was awful with the receptionist claiming that they had not received payment. My wife eventually paid again in order to access the room until I arrived to sort it after the lengthy process of finding space to park the car. A pretty grim welcome. The room itself was a reasonable size, old but clean although there were cracked bathroom floor tiles. Well equipped with tea & coffee, Iron and hairdryer. There was no chair to use at the dressing table/desk in our room. They are promising a refurbishment programme so perhaps these points will be dealt with. Apart from Reception all the staff were friendly and service from a young team was good, both in the bar and at the evening function. Breakfast was particularly good with a wide spread of cold and hot dishes and eggs cooked fresh in front of you. I wish I had drunk less of their draught lager at £6.20 per pint. London Prices!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Laura R, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear Yarrow1946,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Please accept my apologies that you did not enjoy all aspects of your stay. I was pleased that outside of check-in you found the team friendly, and that you enjoyed all that our great breakfast has to offer. All your comments have been noted and will help us in our program of continual improvement, thank you. I am pleased to say our long awaited refurbishment has now begun, and I hope that you might have the opportunity in the future to return once it is finished to experience our great new product.
Kind regards Laura

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Four of us stayed in two rooms over New Year's Eve and were generally very pleased with the service, food and room.
Every member of staff we came across was courteous and helpful.
Breakfast was excellent, an extensive selection of good quality hot food, good coffee and an assortment of fresh fruit and yoghurt.
The room was larger than expected and well equipped with tea and coffe, fridge, trouser press and iron. WiFi was free and fast.
the room looked a little tired, wallpaper splitting and signs of damp under the windowsill but we understand the rooms are being renovated this year. The only real negative was the lack of control of the heating. The radiator was three feet from my side of the bed and I couldn't turn it off meaning we had to open the window to allow sleep. Apart from this we couldn't fault our one night stay,
Parking is £10.00 a night but space is limited.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Grand Harbour H... S, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Dear stheBRIT

Thank you for sharing your feedback for your recent stay on this site for others to read, I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found the team to be courteous and helpful and the breakfast excellent.

I am delighted to say that we started our refurbishment in the New Year and this will include a complete refurbishment of all bedrooms, restaurant and bar area along with the installation of air-conditioning and new beds we will also be redecorating the Leisure Club.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience cause due to the limited parking we have do have 190 parking spaces on site and our charges are in line with other local hotels.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

A deluxe room was booked but the towel warmer did not work and the shower was antiquated. The iron was marked as needing repair and the ill fitting window made it feel like the South Pole in a blizzard, when the wind was blowing hard. The worst part was that the manager appeared not to care about customers. Apparently a big reburbishment is due and not before time. A management that takes customer service seriously is also needed.
At breakfast, on one morning, the table was cleared by an over zealous waiter whilst my partner and myself were collecting our cooked breakfast.

Room Tip: When the wind blows do not choose room 239 or rooms with patio doors.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Geoffrey W

Dear Geoffrey W

Thank you for your feedback, I have recently joined the team at the Grand Harbour Hotel and was very disappointed to read that your feel the Manager you spoke to appeared not to care about our customs. Please be assured we take all our customer feedback seriously and continually strive to exceed our guest’s expectations.

Please accept my sincere apologies that on this occasion we did not meet the satisfactory level of standards and service.

As you mentioned we started a £4million refurbishment in the New Year and I do hope that we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Just come back from a two night break. The hotel receptionist was polite and helpful. The room was a good size and very clean. The bed was really comfortable and the pillows were plump and comfy. The breakfast was excellent but we found the restaurant prices for dinner a bit expensive. £17 for fish and chips!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Colin C

Thank you for your review, I was delighted to read you had an enjoyable stay and found the team to be polite and the hotel comfortable.

I am pleased you enjoyed breakfast, with regards to the restaurant prices these are set in line with other local hotels offering a similar product and service. I will of course pass your feedback on to our Head Chef for review.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future,

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Overall very good hotel although a little overpriced given the rooms need some minor updating, service very good and friendly. The main issue is not being told that car parking would be charged at £10 a night when we booked, nor that space was very limited we had to drive round several times and then wait for someone to leave, fortunately that was only 15 minutes but we were ready to give up and thought we would end up driving around trying to find a car park with overnight stays. If we had been told we could have looked for any alternative car parking nearby that allowed overnight parking before we set off. Spoilt the initial impression of the hotel which is generally good.

Room Tip: if you can afford it go for a room with a balcony, although most rooms appear to have reasonable views, some across the old walls of the city, others across the harbour, the views from lower down include the rather tatty roof of the restaurant.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Gary W

I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay at the hotel.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused due to parking availability, we do have 190 onsite parking spaces and are charges are in line with other local hotels offering a similar product and service. I am sorry that this charge was not pointed out to you at the time of booking, however I believe it is noted on all confirmations.

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review and I do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Grand Harbour Hotel in the future.