Grand Harbour Hotel
US$75
HolidayInn.com
  • Pool
Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7(Southampton)(Great Value!)
US$75
US$78
US$113
Marriott Hotels
  • Pool
Highfield House Hotel(Southampton)(Great Value!)
US$64
ibis
US$98
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Southampton City Centre Hotel(Southampton)(Great Value!)
US$85
PremierInn.com
2,102 results
All reviewscruise packagecruise terminalone night staybuffet styleshopping centregood nights sleepwest quayatriumshipportdocks
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed at the Grand Harbour Hotel for a charity evening last year and just after we left I realised that we had left some clothes in a drawer in the hotel room. What ensued became farcical and after countless telephone calls, e-mails and even two personal visits to the hotel to collect my property I was finally accused of lying to the hotel about the nature of my personal effects! two months later I still have not received my own property back and the way that this has been handled by the hotel is disgraceful! other than that the food was OK and the room was fine.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank AndySING73
Laura R, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear AndySING73
Thank you for your feedback following your recent visit. I was pleased to read you had no concerns regarding the food or room that you stayed in. Please accept my sincere apologies however that you had issue with lost property items. I have passed your comments on to the Operations Manager and Housekeeper in order to revisit the procedures to ensure a robust system is in place. Thank you again.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Stayed at the Grand Harbour Hotel in Southampton on New Years Eve as something of a change to the norm and booked dinner at the nearby La Margherita Italian. We booked an Executive King Room with a sea view as a treat. Parking is at the side and was a reasonable cost for the day. Check in was quick and all was ok until we got to the room. The main part was spacious and comfy as you would expect for this standard of hotel. It had a large flat screen TV, a fridge and a balcony overlooking the Estuary. Be warned as it is by the Docks the view is a lot of cranes etc. We then looked at the bathroom. There was a bath, sink and a small cubicle shower next to the toilet. When I looked at the shower which by the way a small man would struggle to wash in the basin was dirty and grungy looking.
I went to reception and asked to be moved which they did. When we got to the next room there was no shower at all. My wife books hotels by the bathroom so as you might imagine she was not impressed. So another call to receptiuon and another change of room! The third room was the same as the first with a small cubicle shower. We asked about this and was told all rooms except the suites are like this. Now the room description stated a walk in shower but I did not expect that to be a small cubicle. We had to finally accept this room even though the corners of the shower around the door were also dirty. Next was the hot water which was tepid at best. We let it run for several minutes but it never got hot enough to steam up the mirror. We went for a walk and got back around 5pm. We decided to have a drink in the bar which was very nice and not too bad for price. Then back to the room which was cold by now. So turned on the heating which was not working. The room was like a fridge! Called reception who said they would sent maintenance up and he would be here in 5-10 minutes. 20 minutes later I called again and asked where he was? I was told he can turn it on from downstairs and the room would warm up in about 10 minutes. 20 minutes later the heating was still not working. By now we had to get ready to go out in a cold room with tepid hot water (such fun!). On the way out I again spoke to reception about the heating and asked someone look at it in the room.
We went out and had a great New Years Eve at the Italian and got back to the hotel around 2am. We walked into the room which was now a Sauna as they had put a small fan heater on the floor and it was going full blast !!
Overall the main room was great, and reception, restaurants and bar were good also. But the bathroom was awful and no hot water or heating was not a great combination. Overall I would not go back and stay here again if they paid me !! I did complain in the morning and got a reduction on the bill which was something.

Room Tip: Try another hotel !
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Neil S

Dear Neil S,
Thank you for taking the time to review your New Year’s Eve visit. I was very disappointed to read that the stay was not to your expectations and that you encountered some maintenance issues during your visit, please accept my sincere apologies for this. I am pleased to note that the duty manager did assist you on checkout regarding these. I am pleased to say that as of the 2nd January our 4 million pound refurbishment has begun which will correct all the product points you noted. Having just joined the team, the management team and I have taken on board your points and will be using them in our program for continued improvement in all aspects of guest service. Thank you again.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We did not stay in the Hotel as guests but went for a Christmas lunch as a treat for the family including my mother in law, who has been given the all-clear from cancer- so this had to be good, and it was. We had Bucks Fizz on entry, our coats were whisked away with no fuss and bother and we were invited to relax on sofas until we were ready to go to our table. The Restaurant manager came over to us and checked that we were happy, and showed us to our table, beautifully set out. The service was impressively good, the wine excellent and the food first rate. My wife is a vegetarian who is had to please but she declared herself to be very happy with her risotto. My daughter didn't want the set puddings so had the cheek to ask for ice cream which quickly appeared- four different flavours on one plate! Highly recommended and we will be going back.
My wife was chatting to another lady in the Reception area who was similarly impressed, so this wasn't just a one-off.
The staff were friendly and attentive and I felt that i had given my family a really memorable time.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ian L

Dear Ian L
Thank you so much for your fabulous 5 star review. I was very pleased to read of your enjoyment of all aspects of your recent visit. I know my team will take great motivation, as I do from your review, thank you. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed for a New Year's Eve dinner. Our experience on checking in was awful with the receptionist claiming that they had not received payment. My wife eventually paid again in order to access the room until I arrived to sort it after the lengthy process of finding space to park the car. A pretty grim welcome. The room itself was a reasonable size, old but clean although there were cracked bathroom floor tiles. Well equipped with tea & coffee, Iron and hairdryer. There was no chair to use at the dressing table/desk in our room. They are promising a refurbishment programme so perhaps these points will be dealt with. Apart from Reception all the staff were friendly and service from a young team was good, both in the bar and at the evening function. Breakfast was particularly good with a wide spread of cold and hot dishes and eggs cooked fresh in front of you. I wish I had drunk less of their draught lager at £6.20 per pint. London Prices!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Yarrow1946,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Please accept my apologies that you did not enjoy all aspects of your stay. I was pleased that outside of check-in you found the team friendly, and that you enjoyed all that our great breakfast has to offer. All your comments have been noted and will help us in our program of continual improvement, thank you. I am pleased to say our long awaited refurbishment has now begun, and I hope that you might have the opportunity in the future to return once it is finished to experience our great new product.
Kind regards Laura

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Four of us stayed in two rooms over New Year's Eve and were generally very pleased with the service, food and room.
Every member of staff we came across was courteous and helpful.
Breakfast was excellent, an extensive selection of good quality hot food, good coffee and an assortment of fresh fruit and yoghurt.
The room was larger than expected and well equipped with tea and coffe, fridge, trouser press and iron. WiFi was free and fast.
the room looked a little tired, wallpaper splitting and signs of damp under the windowsill but we understand the rooms are being renovated this year. The only real negative was the lack of control of the heating. The radiator was three feet from my side of the bed and I couldn't turn it off meaning we had to open the window to allow sleep. Apart from this we couldn't fault our one night stay,
Parking is £10.00 a night but space is limited.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Grand Harbour H... S, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Dear stheBRIT

Thank you for sharing your feedback for your recent stay on this site for others to read, I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found the team to be courteous and helpful and the breakfast excellent.

I am delighted to say that we started our refurbishment in the New Year and this will include a complete refurbishment of all bedrooms, restaurant and bar area along with the installation of air-conditioning and new beds we will also be redecorating the Leisure Club.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience cause due to the limited parking we have do have 190 parking spaces on site and our charges are in line with other local hotels.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.