“A lovely surprise” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
London
“A lovely surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

We stayed here for one night on the 1st January - came to see Southampton v Chelsea. The reception staff were very helpful and allowed us to check in early and have our room before we went off to the game. The rooms are a good size and nicely furnished - everything was provided - complimentary toiletries, tea and coffee making facilities and everything was in good working order. We had dinner in the restaurant in the evening which was all very good and well presented. A good location. I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We had a high room (by chance) and it gave a good view.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CheekyLondon
Laura R, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear CheekyLondon,
Thank you for your lovely review following your recent stay. I was very pleased to read you enjoyed all aspects of your stay, in particular the friendliness of the reception team and your dinner that evening after the football. Thank you also for your kind recommendation to others to stay, a fantastic compliment, thank you
Laura Roberts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
Hove E.Sussex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed at hotel on Jan 9 2014. Superb. Read some reports on Trip Advisor which are rubbish. The hotel is v clean and very friendly staff. No 5 restaurant is excellent and again great staff. Hotel is starting a refurbishment , do dot be put off by the negative comments. R Jones

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Brisie,
Thank you so much for such a wonderful 5 star review. I was very pleased to read of your enjoyment, in particular of the service from the team. I know they will take great motivation from your kind words, as I do. Thank you again and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

We arrived a little bit early as traffic was very light. but felt welcome from the minute we arrived to the minute we left. We had booked for the New Years Eve party which took place in the Mayflower Suite. The function room looked amazing like one of the London awards shows with a star cloth around the whole room and hi tech lighting. we were greeted my very cheerful staff whom turn out to be the host / DJ.
Dinner was called by a piper piping us into Dinner. the food was excellent and serving staff very happy to help. We were then entertained by the host/DJ who was very entertaining and a live band. the new year was welcomed in by the host with the help of a live Big Ben and the fireworks on two big screens then we dance till 1am when we were feed bacon rolls. A superb ending of what was a truly fantastic night. We can't wait to book for next year.
only bad comment was that the car park was full and the disco could of been a bit longer.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear James N,
Thank you for such a fabulous 5 star review following your New Year’s Eve stay. I was very pleased to read how much you enjoyed all aspects of your evening and stay. I hope we may see you again next New Year, if not sooner.
Brighton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

After many years of staying at Grand Harbour, prior to cruises, and watching standards drop from 5 star to its current standard, we were very excited to be booked into the first of the refurbished rooms recently!

On arrival how disappointed we were when the refurbished room we were allocated was heated by two fan heaters and was boiling. It transpired that the heating was not working in a couple of rooms, hmm! We went to reception to ask to be moved, the only rooms they could move us to were standard rooms, which we were not happy about having paid a premium for our room.

We ended up staying in the refurbished room.

Now for the refurbishment, which for anyone who had stayed at the hotel previously will understand is desperately needed as the rooms are now dated and bathrooms are very shabby! I would say the room we had was lightly refreshed, not refurbished as needed.

The bathroom, is original bathroom, original sink, bath and toilet (complete with black inside toilet), whats different, freshly painted and the tiles have been freshly grouted, there is a new mirror! That's all.

The foyer area with wardrobes is as was, nothing changed.

The bedroom, still with original old carpet, the original housing for the TV has been replaced by a low level desk with a flat screen TV (which was nice). The relaxing chairs have been replaced by two small reception chairs (very uncomfortable), new curtains, new lighting (so dark you cannot read anything, even in bed). The bed was big, but original, the quilt cover was super king size with a double synthetic quilt pad inside, it didn't work.

I could go on, but I think suffice is to say that they have broken us now and we will not be returning, what a shame, this old lady needs shed loads of money spending on her but I am afraid the way the new company are approaching this is on the cheap.

Stayed December 2013
4 Thank Didge77
Dear Didge77
Thank you for taking the time to feedback on your last visit to the hotel. I am sorry the trial room you stayed in was not to your liking, in particular the unfortunate issue with the heating that occurred, please accept my apologies for this. I am pleased to say our 4 million pound refurbishment has now begun in the first week of the January, and we truly believe and hope as a four star deluxe property, it will be warmly welcomed by our regular guests and many of our new guests once completed. Thank you for your feedback, and I hope perhaps you may give us an opportunity once this refurbishment has been fully completed to show the new look hotel.
Laura Roberts

Travellers are raving about these Southampton hotels

Bawtry, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed at the Grand Harbour Hotel for a charity evening last year and just after we left I realised that we had left some clothes in a drawer in the hotel room. What ensued became farcical and after countless telephone calls, e-mails and even two personal visits to the hotel to collect my property I was finally accused of lying to the hotel about the nature of my personal effects! two months later I still have not received my own property back and the way that this has been handled by the hotel is disgraceful! other than that the food was OK and the room was fine.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank AndySING73
Dear AndySING73
Thank you for your feedback following your recent visit. I was pleased to read you had no concerns regarding the food or room that you stayed in. Please accept my sincere apologies however that you had issue with lost property items. I have passed your comments on to the Operations Manager and Housekeeper in order to revisit the procedures to ensure a robust system is in place. Thank you again.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

Stayed at the Grand Harbour Hotel in Southampton on New Years Eve as something of a change to the norm and booked dinner at the nearby La Margherita Italian. We booked an Executive King Room with a sea view as a treat. Parking is at the side and was a reasonable cost for the day. Check in was quick and all was ok until we got to the room. The main part was spacious and comfy as you would expect for this standard of hotel. It had a large flat screen TV, a fridge and a balcony overlooking the Estuary. Be warned as it is by the Docks the view is a lot of cranes etc. We then looked at the bathroom. There was a bath, sink and a small cubicle shower next to the toilet. When I looked at the shower which by the way a small man would struggle to wash in the basin was dirty and grungy looking.
I went to reception and asked to be moved which they did. When we got to the next room there was no shower at all. My wife books hotels by the bathroom so as you might imagine she was not impressed. So another call to receptiuon and another change of room! The third room was the same as the first with a small cubicle shower. We asked about this and was told all rooms except the suites are like this. Now the room description stated a walk in shower but I did not expect that to be a small cubicle. We had to finally accept this room even though the corners of the shower around the door were also dirty. Next was the hot water which was tepid at best. We let it run for several minutes but it never got hot enough to steam up the mirror. We went for a walk and got back around 5pm. We decided to have a drink in the bar which was very nice and not too bad for price. Then back to the room which was cold by now. So turned on the heating which was not working. The room was like a fridge! Called reception who said they would sent maintenance up and he would be here in 5-10 minutes. 20 minutes later I called again and asked where he was? I was told he can turn it on from downstairs and the room would warm up in about 10 minutes. 20 minutes later the heating was still not working. By now we had to get ready to go out in a cold room with tepid hot water (such fun!). On the way out I again spoke to reception about the heating and asked someone look at it in the room.
We went out and had a great New Years Eve at the Italian and got back to the hotel around 2am. We walked into the room which was now a Sauna as they had put a small fan heater on the floor and it was going full blast !!
Overall the main room was great, and reception, restaurants and bar were good also. But the bathroom was awful and no hot water or heating was not a great combination. Overall I would not go back and stay here again if they paid me !! I did complain in the morning and got a reduction on the bill which was something.

Room Tip: Try another hotel !
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Neil S
Dear Neil S,
Thank you for taking the time to review your New Year’s Eve visit. I was very disappointed to read that the stay was not to your expectations and that you encountered some maintenance issues during your visit, please accept my sincere apologies for this. I am pleased to note that the duty manager did assist you on checkout regarding these. I am pleased to say that as of the 2nd January our 4 million pound refurbishment has begun which will correct all the product points you noted. Having just joined the team, the management team and I have taken on board your points and will be using them in our program for continued improvement in all aspects of guest service. Thank you again.
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

We did not stay in the Hotel as guests but went for a Christmas lunch as a treat for the family including my mother in law, who has been given the all-clear from cancer- so this had to be good, and it was. We had Bucks Fizz on entry, our coats were whisked away with no fuss and bother and we were invited to relax on sofas until we were ready to go to our table. The Restaurant manager came over to us and checked that we were happy, and showed us to our table, beautifully set out. The service was impressively good, the wine excellent and the food first rate. My wife is a vegetarian who is had to please but she declared herself to be very happy with her risotto. My daughter didn't want the set puddings so had the cheek to ask for ice cream which quickly appeared- four different flavours on one plate! Highly recommended and we will be going back.
My wife was chatting to another lady in the Reception area who was similarly impressed, so this wasn't just a one-off.
The staff were friendly and attentive and I felt that i had given my family a really memorable time.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ian L
Dear Ian L
Thank you so much for your fabulous 5 star review. I was very pleased to read of your enjoyment of all aspects of your recent visit. I know my team will take great motivation, as I do from your review, thank you. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.