“Looks can be decieving and Food Poisoning”

Grand Harbour Hotel
Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Sevenoaks, England, United Kingdom
“Looks can be decieving and Food Poisoning”
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Upon arrival the hotel looks great but this hotel is about to undergo refurbishment and needs it. The rooms are OK but the bathrooms are dirty and the toilets disgusting. I used to live in Southampton and always wanted to stay in this hotel and now wish I hadn't.

Breakfast seemed OK until I realised I was eating an under-cooked sausage. Unfortunately by the time I had checked out I was dashing to the loo and was ill for the next 36 hours. I reported it to the hotel who tried to pass the blame to something/somewhere else but I know it couldn't have been anywhere else. They are now investigating but I don't expect to hear anything back from them.

Management need to go on a customer services course - I don't expect to be called "dear" whilst making a complaint. Other staff were exceptionally polite and helpful.

Room Tip: No real good views. Lifts beep loudly so a room away from the lifts would be best.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nicky E
Laura R, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Dear Nicky E, Please accept my sincere apologies that your discussion with one of my supervisors upset you so much you felt compelled to post on trip advisor in order to ensure your concerns were addressed correctly. As we have since discussed I will of course ensure that all my team members are more aware of the manner of which they address all guests. I hope from our conversation I have re-instilled your faith that we do in fact take all feedback very seriously. We also take food safety as one of our highest priorities, with a four star food hygiene rating in our kitchens, and in regards to breakfast, all items are batch cooked and core temperatures taken and recorded to ensure items are correctly cooked. We have an excellent food safety record and no incidents of this nature on our books, which also include the 300 people who also had breakfast at the hotel on that day. I am very much looking forward to a second opportunity when you return in the future that you can enjoy not only our refurbished product but will allow us to give you the full great experience that you should have had previously. Thank you again for you time.
Laura Roberts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
  • Hebrew first
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2014

My husband and I spent 1 night on 5th Feb as he had business the following day. We didn't arrive till 8pm so had no time to see or enjoy the leisure facilities. We were both pleasantly surprised on entering the hotel foyer as it does have quite a grand feel. After checking in and putting our bags in our room which was really nice and spacious, warm and inviting we decided to stay in the hotel and eat in the bar. The bar staff were nice and friendly but we felt the food was quite expensive for relatively simple meals £10 a £15 ( fish & chips, sausage & mash, pasta dish & burger & fries) to name a few. Once ordered we sat and enjoyed a couple of drinks but after 45 mins we still hadn't received our meals so my husband enquired at the bar and said it would be next. The duty manager came over and apologised and said he wasn't happy with the 1st order so had the chef re-do it , we both had the feeling he was telling porkies (it's a great line to use) especially as the food came as we were talking to him but he offered us a free drink each which was nice , I opted for a free pudding as had enough to drink and I must say the lemon meringue was more like lemon goo and the food was just ok. We had a comfy enough sleep and had b/fast delivered for a £3 fee which was excellent on both accounts. We would be happy to stay agin but will probably go out to eat.

Room Tip: If you are considering eating at the hotel it will be worth you booking the winter warmer with dinne...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Saralou23
Laura R, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear Saralou23, Thank you for your kind feedback regarding your recent stay. I was very pleased to read you enjoyed your overall stay, and in particular your room. I have passed your comments onto the chef regarding your dining experience, my apologies it was not up to full expectations, and I assure you my restaurant Manager and Executive chef will work to rectify any shortcomings immediately. Thank you again, and thank you for the kind recommend that you would indeed stay again.
Southam, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Me and some friends came for a spa day last week. We arrived around 10ish, and were shown around the leisure club and used all the facilities, the leisure club is in definite need if a refurbishment which let us down a bit! On the plus side we really enjoyed the jacuzzi. Also had afternoon tea which was delious. The service was great. We had 2 25 minute treatments each. Which were amazing! I had a back massage and a facial which were the best I have had before! My therapist was Katie? Very tiny with brown hair? She was extremely polite,sweet and pretty! She carried both treatments out very proffessionally . I will be looking out for more deals soon. Looking forwards to coming back! Had a lovely day. :)

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank jessica b
Laura R, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Dear Jessica B, Thank you for your fabulous 5 star review on you recent spa day. I was so very pleased to read how much you and your friends enjoyed yourselves. I know Katie will very much appreciate your review of her beauty treatments, thank you. I am very pleased to say the Leisure area refurbishment will begin on the 10th March until the 20th March, and I am sure you will love the new look. I hope we will see you all back again soon.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I stayed in Grand Harbour with my partner for one night on 30th January, we had such a great time and definitely will stay there again. Friendly staff from the very beginning. After we checked in to the hotel, our key didn't work, however we didn't have to wait for a new one very long, young gentleman from housekeeping who was checking the rooms got us a new key straight away from the reception. Also we got dressing gowns from him and apologies for the problem.
Later that night we went to the hotel restaurant to get something to eat, it completely made our stay, delicious food and 5* staff who cared about us so much.
Room a bit dated and tired, however we've been told they're having a refurb, so I can't wait to visit you again once the refurb's done.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Shilla28
Dear Shilla28, Thank you for your great 5 star rating on your recent review. I was thrilled to read how much you enjoyed every aspect of your stay, in particular the food and great service in our restaurant. I know my team will take great motivation from your kind words, thank you.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 4 days on business on the recommendation of a colleague.
I would start by saying there is not much choice of decent standard of hotels in SOTON. This one is in a good location with pool gym etc. The staff were helpful and the room clean although very tired with wallpaper peeling off etc. it is much in need of the refurb, definitely not a 4 star now it's kind of stuck in a time warp but they have obv recognised that and are investing.

I didn't use the restaurant as it just looked too dated for me so I chose to go out, but I still enjoyed using the jacuzzi etc. even though it is reminiscent of a tiny centre parcs in the 1980s that hasn't been updated since :)

It is a nice hotel that needs updating and I will try it again when the refurb is done. For my next trip I have booked elsewhere but equally I wouldn't mind staying there again.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank L_R_Htravels
Laura R, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear Lozkixass, Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. I am very pleased that you found the team friendly and our location great. As you point out we are presently investing in the property and I truly believe that our guests will love the new product once complete. I am sorry to read you will not be with us on your next stay, but very pleased you feel you will return again after the refurbishment is complete. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Went back to visit my old city of birth for what was going to be a romantic weekend away with my partner. Booked online through their website and when checking in at the hotel they advised that I hadn't paid yet, this was weird and worrying because I had a confirm email etc from them. Anyhow it just happened that their online booking service went down on the day of booking and they didn't take my payment. Not a great start, especially as this made me look a right plonker in front of my partner. I had to phone the bank to check if payment was taken and yep nothing, thankfully I bought my correct bank card with money otherwise my partner would of had to pay. So we sorted everything out and pretty much set up a tab with the hotel, giving them card details etc, so if we ate there it would be charged to our room, sorted? no, what happened after this shocked me and my partner. We came back to the hotel after a lovely few bottles of wine over at the pig in the wall and went for a night cap in the hotels bar area only to be confronted several minutes in by a rude higher member of staff asking if we had paid for the drinks and the room. We stated the facts and was left alone, a little in disbelief. We then went to bed and in the morning found a bill which had been slid under the door in the night. This made us feel like we were singled out and very much like they thought we were trying to run off with out paying.

Even with all this trouble to what turned out to be a nightmare romantic weekend away the Grand Harbour is in a lovely setting, very we'll presented and the Breakfast was lovely. The room was clean and comfy, it's just a shame about all the aggro we received.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rich2014Magpie
Dear Rich-Karen2014, Thank you for your review on your recent stay. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your room and that you had a great breakfast. Please accept my sincere apologies for the billing issues which overshadowed your romantic getaway. I have passed your comments to the reception manager to ensure this does not recur. We truly appreciate your feedback and we will use it in our ongoing guest satisfaction program, thank you.
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2014

On arrival the door to my room was open, the tap sprayed water at you & only achieved a tepid temperature. No sea view (room rate said sea view), the bed linen had blood stains! Awful bed. Staff not interested in the quality of your stay. The doorman was friendly (I had to end on a positive note!).

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Claire M
Laura R, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear Claire M,
Thank you for your review. Please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you experienced regarding your visit. Unfortunately I cannot find any record of the issues you experienced, and would truly appreciate if you could make contact with me directly so that I can further investigate in order to ensure they never recur. I can assure you that I am very much intersected in the quality of every guest stay, and to this end I do hope you will find the time to speak with me. Your feedback is vital in our on-going programme of improvement, and we thank you for your time.