“Most Enjoyable Stay”

Grand Harbour Hotel
Ranked #20 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We had a most comfortable and pleasant stay at this hotel. We had a lovely refurbished room with excellent facilities. The staff were all very helpful and a delight to deal with. I am surprised that there have been so many negative comments because I could not fault our stay- and we are well travelled so we have high expectations of a four star hotel!
We did not use the spa so are unable to comment. However we were able to use the newly opened restaurant and thoroughly enjoyed our full hot buffet breakfasts, which you can add on to your room rate for 10.00 each if breakfast was not included in your original booking

The car park charge of 10.00 is well advertised beforehand and is primarily so expensive due to the local council who own the land. This can be offset though by some of the excellent deals to be found on the websites such as Booking.com. Food and drink prices generally are about what you normally expect in a hotel of this quality and your stay need not be too expensive.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Laura R, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear Marianne M, thank you so much for your fabulous 5 star review. I was very pleased to read of your enjoyment of all aspects of your stay. I know my team will take great motivation from your kind words, as do I. I hope we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

I love this hotel but when we stayed recently I was slightly disappointed with some things, the jacuzzi was broken , pool area could really do with a lick of paint and there was no water in the drinking machine which you need after a sauna !The breakfast wasn't quite as good as it normally is ... No crispy bacon , scrambled eggs too runny and sausages a bit too pink !Only little things but they do matter to your experience :-) oh and wish they would put the car park charge back down to £5 like before ;-)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Natalie2800, Thank you for your four star review. I am pleased to read you love the hotel. I am also pleased to say that our restaurant has now reopened so breakfast is back to being great. I am also pleased to say that on the 10th March our Pool and spa area will undergo a refurbishment and I do hope that you will enjoy the fresh updated look when you return in the future. You are very correct, little things make the difference and we will continue to work on these to make that difference. Thank you again.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

the hotel has rooms which offer a lovely view of the sea. It is situated in a really good location close to the shopping centre and the the sea.
The rooms are lovely, clean and spacious.
Car parking is added on at the end of your stay at £10 a night which we were not informed of before hand, along with a £2.50 charge for paying with a credit card.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Adeol, Thank you so much for your 4 star review. I was pleased you found your room to your liking, our location certainly does offer a range of fantastic views. I am sorry you were not aware of the parking charges, which I assure you are quite standard throughout Southampton however I will of course work with the team to ensure we communicate this more effectively going forward. Thank you again

Reviewed 15 February 2014

So disappointed looked at the reviews to find the best hotel in Southampton to celebrate valentines me an my fiancé booked the room 3 weeks I'm advance and made a reservation for the spa, on arrival we were told they had no room for us and that it was down for the date in January we made the room payment we were told they were all booked up so therefor would have to settle for a deluxe instead of an executive, if that wasn't bad enough we were then told the spa was fully booked an you had to pay I'm advance! We had asked to do this 3 weeks before an told the hotel did not take spa payment!!! We then had to settle for a deluxe king which would of been ok if it wasn't 2 single beds pushed together !!!! When you spend £140 to celebrate valentines day with you fiancé you don't expect to sleep in two single beds!!! An to compensate for the fault of the hotels we were offered £40 to be refunded no complimentary champagne etc, stayed in cleaner more modern premier inns than this hotel! Would not return

Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank Karen J
Laura R, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Dear KarenJ, Thank you for your feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies that due to an error your booking was not being held for the correct date, which caused you not to receive the room you had booked. I can assure you the refurbishment will dramatically improve the overall aesthetics of the property, and your service comments will be worked on with the management team to ensure no future recurrence. Thank you again.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

I took girlfriend away for the night in what I thought was a nice looking hotel inside and out from the pictures on the website. However they rang me and asked to upgrade my room to a room with a balcony and robes ect 'deluxe packaged' however when we had arrived after parking the car for £10 what we didn't know about we went up to our room to settle in. We discovered that our room had no balcony, mini bar not working and empty, stains all over the furniture, bathroom very tired and dated, shower wouldn't warm up, got told on the phone there was ment to be a docking station which there was no sight of that. However when I rang to book the hotel with no knowledge about any refurbishment they didn't tell me at all as I would of booked else where!! Also I would like to add that I rang reception for some robes as they was also not included which we also waited an hour for after ringing 2 times! We visited the spa the Jacuzzi was not in use, the sunbed room was absolutely appalling. Oh and not to mention the price of drinks.

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank Alexhjames1

Dear AlexHJames1, Thank you for your feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies that the room and Package you believed you had booked were not what you received. We have taken on board your comments and I can assure you we will use them in our program from improvement to all aspects of service. Thank you again.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

I stayed here for business a few weeks ago. Normally I don't complain but I'd just come off a trip from the Barcelona area and the contrast in rooms, quality, meals, etc. forced me to speak up.

First of all the radiator in my room was off. January/United Kingdom - no heat... Not good. Issue #1 was resolved within a few hours of check-in. However on day #2 of a 4 day stay the hot water handle to the shower broke off. The handle literally came off in my hand. The young lady at the reception, Jen?, was amazing. She documented the issued and requested a repair immediately.
The following morning, as I left for work I passed maintenance on their way to my room.

Unfortunately when I returned from work I found that maintenance had only placed the handle back in place!!!! Another night without hot water!!! Again, I speak to Jen and this time she changes my room.

Room#2 was 10x better than the first room but most importantly - it had hot water. Smh... Aside from the hot water debacle the overall appearance of the hotel is old. In their defense, the hotel is under renovation. So hopefully, within a few months it will be back to its glory days.

Side note... The breakfast buffet is very good. I recommend adding it if possible. The hotel is within 10-15mins weak of several restaurants also.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank granaedy01
Laura R, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear Granaedy01, Thank you for your review. I am pleased that your stay ended up as you would hope; however please accept my sincere apologies that it was not as it should have been right from the start. As you kindly point out we are under refurbishment and these points are all currently being rectified, so I do hope you will enjoy the new product in the future. All your comments have been noted and we will work on every one of them, as guest feedback in vital to us to help us ensure we grow and evolve as times change. Thank you again for your review and I hope we might have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

We arrived in a storm at about 5pm on Friday 7th February 2014 and the check –in was quick and efficient. We went up to our room and found a birthday card and small box of chocolates which was a lovely touch as it was my 50th birthday. Unfortunately it was for someone else completely, so feeling a little deflated I took them down and gave them to the receptionist, requesting that they be passed on to the correct recipient. I heard nothing more about it. On returning to the room, I found a large plastic tie-wrap on the floor which makes me think that the cleaner wasn’t that thorough and I shudder to think what it had been used for! Smacks of 50 shades of grey. On the left side of the room by the window was damp and mould on the walls, and on the right was a large puddle of water. Looking up from the balcony was unnerving as it looked like the balcony up and to our right was held together with a vehicle cargo strap. We had a drink in the bar before going out for a meal. The grim-faced barman snatched the money from my hand and failed to thank me when he gave change. He wasn’t busy so I failed to see why he was so aggressive.
I appreciate that they could do nothing about the storm but on our return it was found that the sound proofing was ineffective as the wind whistled into the room throughout the night. This lead us to get little sleep until the early hours of the morning when exhaustion took over. Unfortunately, just as we fell to sleep, housekeeping staff knocked on the door to ask what time we would be checking out. This would be around 7am. At this point I have to mention the bed itself. The mattresses' were so old that they sunk so much they were more like hammocks which was also uncomfortable. So suffering from sleep deprivation we got up and went down to breakfast which was most enjoyable and had a good selection of food. I was surprised to find they do not have any decaf tea, which can be found in any greasy spoon and B&B, but not the Grand Harbour it seems. Overall our visit was disappointing to say the least and what should have been the highlight of a special birthday surprise for me turned out to be almost tortuous. I understand that they are beginning a refurbishment plan this year that might overcome some of the issues I have raised but not all.

2  Thank Peter G

Dear Peter G, Thank you for your review. Please accept my sincere apologies that your stay was not up to expectation, as the new General manager of this property, I can assure you all your comments have been taken on board and will be used in our self-improvement program to ensure all guest experiences are above expectation in the future. The noise with the wind was unfortunately unavoidable in the extreme circumstances of the 90 mile winds the city experienced in the recent storms which have sadly been raging in the UK, and are fortunately very rare. I hope once we have refurbished you might provide us a second chance and should it be a special occasion please let me know in advance so that we can ensure that your celebration is extra special.