We booked this hotel at the last minute, before catching a ferry the following morning. Therefore, we did not have time to look at the reviews.
Upon arrival, the reception area looks very grand, so we thought we had made the right choice. After waiting for what seemed like ages, a receptionist appeared to check us in. There was no smile & were not made to feel welcome.
We were directed to our room on the 2nd floor. The room was tired & dated, with enamel missing off parts of the bath & a dirty plughole.
We placed our chilled items in the fridge for our onward journey the following day & went to use the spa/pool facilities.
The spa was closed & the pool had cracked tiles. The steam room & sauna had a nasty odour coming from them.
We ate in the hotel bar, which was quite nice, although drinks are vastly overpriced (£5.20 pint of Perroni).
We returned to our room for what we though would be a relaxing night before our onward journey. The room was very stuffy & warm, so we opened a window. We had to close it soon after due to the low level drone of machinery.
The mattress was awful with a large sag in the middle. After an horrendous night's sleep, we ate breakfast in the bar, which was quite nice.
On return to our room, my wife decided to look at the mattress so pulled back the sheet & was horrified at what she saw. There was no mattress protector & the mattress was stained with what can only be described as human waste & blood. My wife was physically sick at this point.
We complained at reception & spoke to the Manager. The manager did not quibble & immediately took money off our bill & did not charge us for car parking.
We returned to the room to collect our belongings & opened the fridge to find it warm, even though it was turned up to full.All of the items in there had to be thrown away.
Upon final check out, the receptionist did try to argue the amount of compensation agreed, but we again asked to speak to the manager & agreed on the initial amount.
Whilst I understand the Hotel is in the process of refurbishment, this does not excuse the poor hygiene in the bedrooms & feel a mattress protector is the bare minimum that guests should receive.
We would have to think very carefully before returning to this Hotel again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set sail for a unique stay at the 4-star Grand Harbour Hotel Southampton. Overlooking Southampton waterfront, this iconic hotel with its towering glass atrium is a cut above the rest. Visit one of two restaurants each with their contemporary cuisine or try the unique candlelit spa. If you are in Southampton on business we can facilitate any meeting requirements with our impressive function rooms and dedicated event co-ordinators. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Grand Harbour Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- De Vere Grand Harbour Hotel Southampton
- De Vere Grand Harbour Southampton
- De Vere Hotel Southampton