“Not The Best”

Grand Harbour Hotel
Ranked #20 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We booked this hotel at the last minute, before catching a ferry the following morning. Therefore, we did not have time to look at the reviews.

Upon arrival, the reception area looks very grand, so we thought we had made the right choice. After waiting for what seemed like ages, a receptionist appeared to check us in. There was no smile & were not made to feel welcome.

We were directed to our room on the 2nd floor. The room was tired & dated, with enamel missing off parts of the bath & a dirty plughole.

We placed our chilled items in the fridge for our onward journey the following day & went to use the spa/pool facilities.
The spa was closed & the pool had cracked tiles. The steam room & sauna had a nasty odour coming from them.

We ate in the hotel bar, which was quite nice, although drinks are vastly overpriced (£5.20 pint of Perroni).

We returned to our room for what we though would be a relaxing night before our onward journey. The room was very stuffy & warm, so we opened a window. We had to close it soon after due to the low level drone of machinery.

The mattress was awful with a large sag in the middle. After an horrendous night's sleep, we ate breakfast in the bar, which was quite nice.

On return to our room, my wife decided to look at the mattress so pulled back the sheet & was horrified at what she saw. There was no mattress protector & the mattress was stained with what can only be described as human waste & blood. My wife was physically sick at this point.

We complained at reception & spoke to the Manager. The manager did not quibble & immediately took money off our bill & did not charge us for car parking.

We returned to the room to collect our belongings & opened the fridge to find it warm, even though it was turned up to full.All of the items in there had to be thrown away.

Upon final check out, the receptionist did try to argue the amount of compensation agreed, but we again asked to speak to the manager & agreed on the initial amount.

Whilst I understand the Hotel is in the process of refurbishment, this does not excuse the poor hygiene in the bedrooms & feel a mattress protector is the bare minimum that guests should receive.

We would have to think very carefully before returning to this Hotel again.

Room Tip: Check for mattress protectors
1  Thank superref
Laura R, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear Superref, Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry to read of the problems you encountered with your stay. I am pleased to say that part of the refurbishment presently underway will rectify your concerns regarding the beds. All your comments have been passed to the Housekeeping team to ensure that they work on all of them for future guest satisfaction. Thank you again.
Laura Roberts

Write a ReviewReviews (1,966)

Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

My friend and I booked a spa day on a highlife cheap deal (thank goodness it was cheap, as I would never have paid full price).

The facilities were in desperate need of refurbishment, the steps and floor was slippery, the sauna and steam rooms stank and the pool and jacuzzi were full of noisy kids, as well as them being in the jacuzzi (when they weren't supposed too). Please don't get me wrong - I have kids myself - but the point of a spa day is to relax and that was impossible. Needless to say we didn't stay long - had our two treatments (which were nice) and decided to go shopping in west quay instead.

Will definitely not be back here for a spa day!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Laura R, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Dear Horse-rider77, I am pleased you enjoyed your treatments, however sorry you did not enjoy the rest of the spa areas. I am pleased to advise that this area goes into refurbishment as of the 10th March so I am sure if you decide to return in the future you will see a remarkable difference.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

I recently paid £105 for the deluxe king room for a valentines treat for my partner.. Although we live local to the hotel, my partner had always wanted to stay there to sample what we thought was the exclusivety of staying in a 'posh hotel'..

My expectations were very much shattered from start to finish and staying was a massive disappointment.. The hotel room was very cold despite having the heating up as high as it would go, and a noticeable draft coming from the balcony door..

Whilst having a rummage around like u do in hotels, there was no hair dryer. It may seem nit picky but why state what facilities the room has if it doesn't deliver.. My biggest surprise and what has annoyed me most was a member of staff walking into my room unannounced and without knocking, surely they should check whether a room is occupied..

The member of staff who walked in informed me that she was checking for leaks in the ceiling.. I informed her there wasn't any leaks and yet she continued to walk further into my from to verify this for herself..

after repeated assurances there was no leaky ceiling and after a few minutes she left without any apology for intruding.. Mine and my partners privacy was completely ignored and this left us wondering if we would get a further unannounced visits meaning we couldn't fully relax and enjoy some alone time.

Throughout the night we were awoken on two occasions by members of staff talking loudly outside our room as well as other disrespectful guests who had no consideration for other guests.. In the morning we opted to have breakfast in bed and this too was appalling.. The cooked breakfast was bland at best and cold and I think I would have had a better breakfast going to a roadside truck stop.

Upon checking out I was asked if I had a good night and was honest and told them no.. Before I could even explain to the member of staff why, I was swiftly interrupted and handed a piece of paper to email a complaint.. Seeing as there was a queue building up for people checking out I rose above this rudeness and took the information and walked out thoroughly disgusted.

I've raised the complaint and now wating a response. In my personal opinion I see why this hotel has dropped from a 5 star to a 4 star but then again they don't even deserve that.. I would never waste my money there again and certainly would never recommend anyone book with this hotel..

Room Tip: Don't choose this hotel at all
2  Thank L0zza81

Dear L0zza81, Please accept my apologies for the issues you encountered during your stay. I have spoken to the team in regards to ensuring they knock a number of times to ensure they are heard in future. Thank you for your feedback, and I assure you we will work on all of the issues you have noted to ensure these do not recur.

Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

We were in Southampton for the weekend as my fiancé was working there and I came along for the trip; I stayed at the hotel for the day. We went for a standard double and were more than happy with it, the service was great and the staff were extremely helpful. I didn't have any treatments at the spa however used the pool and jacuzzi, as others have said this brings the quality of the hotel down somewhat as it's in real need of updating. The breakfast was nice, we also ordered room service at 3am which came promptly and was of a good quality. Would definitely stay again!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Laura R, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear BexCLee, thank you so much for your fantastic review. I am very pleased that although only here a short time you enjoyed every aspect of your stay. I am pleased to say the pool area will be refurbished from the 10th of March, and I do hope you may have the opportunity to return in the near future and enjoy the new refreshed look of the area.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

My husband and I decided to stay here for one night as a special treat on Sunday 23 February 2014 after leaving the Premier Inn, Weymouth the night before. We checked in and were advised our room number to be 401 on the fourth floor. As we entered the newly refurbished room, we found the overwhelming smell of paint to be unbearable and asked to be moved. Also, we could hear drilling from workmen for a short while. We were moved to room 211 on the second floor - a non-refurbished room. Unfortunately this room looked tired and dated but could not have slept with the strong smell of paint. We went for dinner and headed for the Atrium bar, which we have used before, hoping the piano player was there too. It was all boarded up and said 'closed for refurbishment' - another bar along from the restaurant was now being used instead. We bought some drinks and perused the dinner menu. The food was good, albeit a little pricey and the restaurant staff were lovely. We returned to our room and turned down the duvet cover to find it stained with either blood or chocolate - we couldn't tell which! We went downstairs to complain and were introduced to Charmain, the duty manager and Richard the concierge who followed us up to our room. Charmain agreed that she would not be happy either and after us mentioning the room swap too she said she would be looking in to our bill. Richard the concierge came back with new bedding but the duvet and duvet cover were different sizes so came back with a third one! Next morning we left the room for breakfast before 09:00 and were greeted by workmen outside the room with huge reels of cables all over the floor (my husband tripped on one but didn't fall over). On our return at about 09:15 they were drilling in the room next door to ours and it was like a building site!! Considering we could have still be in bed asleep this is not acceptable!! We packed our things and on tidying the bed found a huge tear down the side of the duvet cover. Hardly four star luxury!! We went downstairs to complain yet again about the building site and had it pointed out to us by another duty manager that it clearly stated on the website about the refurbishments. He also said that there wasn't any building work going on on the second floor!! WRONG!! Clearly, he did not know what was going on upstairs!! We didn't book on their website but did it through bookings.com and didn't see any such advice - if we had we would not have gone!! We asked the bill to be further reduced - which it was and we left - or so we thought. The exit barrier in the car park said 'out of service' and we had to 'phone the hotel twice from the car before they raised it. Under no circumstances would we reconsider returning to this hotel.

Room Tip: Refurbished rooms nice if you can stand the smell of paint (they said ours had been done two weeks a...
1  Thank Pinkl0uise

Dear Pinkl0uise Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for the problems you encountered. I am also sorry that you did not feel the Operations manager was as helpful as you had hoped for. Although I can assure you there was no drilling works happening near your room, and it was actually an industrial vacuum that was in use, I can completely understand how by then this would have been irrelevant to your dissatisfaction with your stay. Should you change your mind in the future and decide to give us a second try, after the refurbishment is complete in May, then please contact me directly and I will personally ensure your stay is far more to your liking.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

This was the third time I have stayed here. The first 2 times it was quite good. But on this occasion I was not impressed. It was my birthday and so we wanted to enjoy a couple of days away. I booked a room, which is not cheap at this hotel. When we got to the room, we realised we were put next to a lift and the mechanism. It got to about 7.30pm and I decided that the noise from the lift was too much. I called down to reception and asked if we could be moved. Basically I was told that there were no other rooms available. I find that highly unlikely and I knew this was probably a lie. I was kept awake throughout the night. In the morning I went to make a complaint. The hotel staff didn't really care but did give me 10% off the bill and free parking. But to be honest, my birthday was ruined. All I wanted was a room away from the lift. Would I stay here again .... nope.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Adrian T

Dear Adrian T, Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I am truly sorry that you were disturbed by the elevator; this is not something I have been made aware of before so we will look into this. I can assure you however that we were in fact full, and that had we a room to move you to we most certainly would have done so. Once again my sincere apologies and should you choose to return in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me in advance so I can personally ensure your room is more to your liking.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

We had a most comfortable and pleasant stay at this hotel. We had a lovely refurbished room with excellent facilities. The staff were all very helpful and a delight to deal with. I am surprised that there have been so many negative comments because I could not fault our stay- and we are well travelled so we have high expectations of a four star hotel!
We did not use the spa so are unable to comment. However we were able to use the newly opened restaurant and thoroughly enjoyed our full hot buffet breakfasts, which you can add on to your room rate for 10.00 each if breakfast was not included in your original booking

The car park charge of 10.00 is well advertised beforehand and is primarily so expensive due to the local council who own the land. This can be offset though by some of the excellent deals to be found on the websites such as Booking.com. Food and drink prices generally are about what you normally expect in a hotel of this quality and your stay need not be too expensive.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Marianne M, thank you so much for your fabulous 5 star review. I was very pleased to read of your enjoyment of all aspects of your stay. I know my team will take great motivation from your kind words, as do I. I hope we will see you again soon.