“Very Disappointing” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
London
“Very Disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

I stayed in this hotel in 2010 and had a great time found no fault with it whatsoever. So this year booked a 2 night stay to take my husband away for his birthday I picked here because we loved it so much. Around 5 weeks before our stay I booked spa treatments for us both and was over the moon we could have them at the same time. Around a week before we were due to stay I received a phone call from someone at the spa asking to speak to me regarding my spa treatments, I phoned back and left a message and asked to be called back, when I had not heard the next day I phoned again and was told everyone was being sent on a course for 4 days and therefore I could not have my treatments but they were trying to get temp staff to cover it but that the manager would ring me back at 2pm that day to talk to me. At 5pm I called back as not heard anything and was told by the "acting manager" that could he let me know next week some time if I could have the treatments I explained that having the spa and swimming pool was a main part of staying at the hotel and if I couldn't have them then I would look to stay somewhere else he promised to ring me back later that night with an answer. I have still not heard anything and therefore cancelled my stay there after I phoned the next day and tried to book a spa treatment for the same time and was told the spa was closed for refurbishments and so was the swimming pool and a restaurant. My main issue is being led on to believe that something was trying to be sorted rather than being honest and saying the spa/swimming pool and sauna were closed. So I never actually ended up staying there and would never book again to stay there I think the service I received was appalling and the hotel need to seriously look into their spa management. Luckily I managed to find somewhere else to stay however was unable to stay in Southampton where I originally wanted.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Laura R, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Dear Donna G, I am sorry that you have not had the opportunity to stay with the hotel as you had hoped. We are very pleased that our Leisure and Spa area are going into refurbishment and although this type of refurbishment closure rare, it is unfortunately necessary. Sadly there is no 'good' time to close a facility where no-one will be affected, and I am truly sorry that at this time you have been unable to stay because of your desire to use the leisure facilities. Please also accept my apologies for the confusion over the closure discussion with the Spa team.
Laura Roberts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

me and my fiance stayed here for one night on a Monday , we booked last minute through booking.com, i thought the price at £49.50 must be a mistake but i booked it and went along all the same, my first and last impression was just wow, the place is just amazing to look at , however as always there are a few things that have to be moaned about... the breakfast was luke warm, and not very tasty at all , not what we were expecting having paid an additional £10.00 each for it, also the coffee was terrible and also just warm.
we went out for the day and thought we would have an hours rest , how wrong we were, the hotel is being renovated and we had drilling next door to us all afternoon , it drove us mad we were so annoyed, i rang reception and was told no other rooms were available, and that it was on the internet about the work being done, well not on booking.com it wasn't, having read other reviews i see that other guests were compensated for this in their fee, i wish we had of been, we were offered nothing,
i would still stay at this lovely posh hotel again, but after all the work is complete, it is a lovely grand place just as its title reads.

Room Tip: for the best views you have to pay abit for for an executive room.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank helenanddale
Dear Helenanddale, thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I am pleased you feel that the hotel value was good, and that you would again stay following the refurbishment. I am sorry to read not all aspect of your stay were as you hoped they would be however I assure that all your points will be addressed.
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night, good value for money. We had a newly refurbished room on the 5th floor over looking Southampton Water. Room very clean and very comfortable bed. All staff very friendly and very apologetic over the fire alarm going off during the early hours which didn't bother us because we had just returned to our room.
Food very fresh and enjoyable.
Will return once refurbishment completed.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Maui1407, Thank you so much for your kind feedback, I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay, and that you found the team very friendly during your visit. Thank you again.
Hampshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

Stayed one night as it was convenient for a local function. No problem with the facilities, although the bathroom is a bit restricted with the toilet tucked behind the bathroom door. Breakfast was fine and the dining room staff very attentive.

My problems arose when a member of staff "accidentally" set off the fire alarm around 4 am and did not know how to switch it off. It was eventually silenced after half an hour. During that time no information was given out and I did not see any fire marshals although I did not leave the hotel having been informed by other guests that it was a false alarm.

On checking out there was no apology for the disturbance or refund offered. However, at my suggestion, the £10 car parking fee was removed. But why do hotels charge guests for that anyway?

Room Tip: There is an extra charge for a sea view but as it is just the docks don't bother.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Mike H, Thank you so much for taking the time to feedback. I was pleased to see you scored most aspects of your stay as very good, and that you enjoyed your breakfast experience. Please accept my apologies for the disturbance you were caused. Guest safety is of paramount importance to us, and I have taken note of your comments to ensure our nights team ensure they are more prominently identifiable in the future. Thank you again for your feedback
worlddivingtraveller
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

Grand by name, as will be your bar bill !
the accommodation is nice, as to be expected for any half decent hotel, though certainly NOT worth the high cost they charge... times have moved on, and others offer far better.
The food was atrocious, certainly nothing grand about food that was at best bought in and pre made, served 'warm' and uninspiring.
Same pre bought fodder available at any large chain restaurant.

As for the bar !! do NOT buy drinks here, it is nothing but an absolute rip off in terms of pricing. Yes it is a hotel, yes you normally expect to pay more, but these prices are just plain crazy.
Two words Ripped Off.
De Vere are not the 'premium' brand they once were, in fact just very 'average' now.
The only thing 'premium' was the prices they charge.

Room Tip: do NOT use the bar, very expensive, over priced. Food also poor.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Worlddivingtraveller, Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. Please accept my sincere apologies that you were disappointed with your meal, I have passed your comments on to our chef. We normally have such good feedback on our dishes, which are all freshly prepared, I am truly sorry that you have felt these have been found to not live up to their normally high standard. I am however pleased to read you found your room to your liking. Thank you again for your feedback.
Laura Roberts

Travellers are raving about these Southampton hotels

Suffolk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

This hotel never disappoints. The rooms are beautifully decorated and well designed. It's always a pleasure to stay and the Christmas stop-over gave us a great feeling of seasonal well-being. The Breakfast was second to none, as usual and the staff were very respectful. I'd stay there again without hesitation.

Room Tip: I always ask for a front facing view but frankly, the higher the room the prettier the night lights...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Laura R, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Viner01, Thank you so much for your fabulous 5 star review. I was thrilled to read how much you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us. My team and I have taken great motivation from your comments and I truly appreciate your taking the time to share your views.
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

We love this hotel and stayed there for one night B&B on the 16/2/2014 and not for the first time.
The hotel is going through a period of refurbishment , which means there there is some discomfort.
The reception staff were excellant, all staff were extremely helpful and the 'Guest Relations Manager' outstanding, nothing was too much for her. All in all we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jimjan2013
Dear Jimjan2013, Thank you very much for your very kind feedback, I was very pleased to read of your enjoyment of your visit and especially of our Guest relations Manager service skills, I know she will take great motivation from your comments, as do I.