“A Very Average Hotel.”

Grand Harbour Hotel
Ranked #20 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 10 April 2014

A very average hotel definitely not worthy of its 4 stars.
New refurbished rooms still leave a lot to be desired, very basic amenities in rooms, no mini bar or fridges, no complimentary bottles of water and certainly no pen and paper for those little notes.
Air con is either non existent or doesn't work. Many rooms have oil filled radiators to heat them up. The hotel proudly announces that £4million is being spent on refurbishments but fail to see where.
Night concierge is surly and almost resents having to make food, and breakfast staff seem to be few and far between.
Refurbishments are still on going so drilling and hammering early in the morning is common.For such a big chain of hotels this is a poor show.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Laura R, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Dear Londontraveller6, Thank you for taking the time to review your visit. I am sorry to read you did not fully enjoy your stay. All of our fully refurbishment rooms have full air-conditioning systems placed in them, so I can only assume that the room you stayed if was not yet refurbished. There are still works going on, and I am sorry that any occasional noise in the day was heard where you were, I can assure you however that there are no early morning works at all on site. As we are no longer part of a brand or chain all feedback is vital in our new endeavour. All comments help us with our program for constant growth and improvement. Thank you.
Laura Roberts

Write a ReviewReviews (1,958)

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Have just been on a weekend break in the Grand Harbour hotel with great friends. We reserved two double rooms and was upgraded to a king size one with a balcony the view was overlooking the Solent. The staff was very helpfull as well, the food was excellent at breakfast with a selection to choose from. We will be retuning again very soon.

Room Tip: We had room 349 and was very happy with it.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Joy B

Dear Joy B, Thank you so much for your fantastic 5 star review. It is wonderful to read how much you enjoyed your stay. Thank you also for the best compliment we could ask for - a promise of returning soon, thank you!
We look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

the hotel was very clean food was fantastic, staff very friendly arrived on a Friday check in was very easy and friendly .the room was clean and tidy couldn't have asked for more the only down side the beer is a bit expensive but well worth the stay

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Andy B

Dear Andy B, Thank you so much for your very kind review, I am very pleased to read how much you enjoyed your visit, in particular the staff service. I hope we may see you again soon. Thank you again.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

I've always enjoyed travelling around the UK staying in everything from a Premier Inn to gorgeous 5* boutqiue hotels. I can be a bit of a hotel snob but I do think the overall quality of 4* hotels has deteriorated over the years.

Anyway, I've probably stayed at the Grand Harbour on over 20 different occasions now. This has to be without a shadow of a doubt, the best hotel in Southampton and has always been a firm favourite of mine.

I was there August last year before the renovation started but then worked away for six months so it was great to see what they'd done to the place when I revisited in March.

March review:

We arrived and as usual were greeted with a warm friendly smile! It looks like a lot of the old staff have either moved or left because we didn't recognise anybody, which is fine!

We always book an executive king room or deluxe king room - one of the main selling points with this hotel is the balconies, its great to sit outside with a drink and watch the world go by.

The rooms have been renovated, not too much has changed, but they have been freshened up. Lick of paint, new sofa/chair, new desk/work surface, new lights & shower head. I couldn't find a fridge in the new rooms which was a bit annoying but they have installed air conditioning - really appreciated! The new lighting system is a bit odd. It's either all on or off - there's no happy medium apart from a small led reading light, again it's not the end of the world!

It would be nice to have a concise 'welcome book/hotel guide' Perhaps this is something they are working on, always a good sign of a quality hotel IMO.

The first room we stayed in did smell of paint/varnish. I noticed a couple of people complaining about this at reception but what can the hotel do? People have been ranting & raving about how the hotel is in need of a refurb and when they do something about it, people complain about the smell of paint!

I know how good the hotel is & can be so I did have a few grumbles on our first night in regards to the shower and mattress. I hate moaning, probably because I'm moaned at all day at work. I did speak to Alex though who is the Reception supervisor, first time we had met. She couldn't do enough to help and was so understanding. We need more people like her. I was very impressed with how she dealt my concerns. I'm not sure how people on here can complain about the managament?

Anyway, we returned a week later…..

This time we were in a deluxe king, slightly smaller room but still far more superior than all the other hotels in Southampton. Everything was perfect and the materess fantastic.

We ate in the newly refurbished bar, my partner had chicken which he said wasn't great but I loved mine! Goats cheese salad and a antipasti board….gorgeous pate, warm bread etc. Drink prices are quite steep but what do you expect in a 4* hotel?

I could be mistaken but they've gone for a 'hunting theme.' I like the contempory relaxed atmosphere, well done!

Anyway, I've stayed several times after that but interestingly I'm writing this review from the Noveotel Southampton down the road because the Grand Harbour is full. I've paid pretty much the same price (perhaps £30/40 cheaper) and you can't even compare the hotels. If anything for us, it just highlights what a special place the Grand is. Don't be put off by reviews on here, it really is a special place to stay and for us, a home from home.

Thank you very much to Alex & all her team - a special mention for Jess behind reception as well who helped me a great deal.

Looking forward to coming back - I tip I will give you is book in advance and pay the extra £30 or so for an executive room. The size, bathroom (separate shower), mini sofa area and gorgeous balcony with furniture overlooking the sea front really makes everything that bit more special.

Room Tip: executive or deluxe rooms - make sure you have a balcony!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Charlierbrown

Dear Charlierbrown, Thank you so much for such a fantastic 5 star review, and so comprehensive, it is very much appreciated. All guest feedback is great, but regular guest feedback is always so wonderful, and I thank you for taking the time to review us so completely. I am so pleased you enjoy your visits, and I look forward to our being able to be of service to you again in the future.
kind regards

Reviewed 7 April 2014

We have been here for the last 2 years running for our works xmas party and on both occasions have upgraded to the Deluxe Room and been on both occasions have had a nice room with a balcony overlooking the cruise ships. The Breakfast is outstanding, with a wide selection to choose from. Everything from fresh fruit and yoghurt to pastries, cereals, bagels and a full english. With a selection of breads, fruit juices and tea/coffee. Definitely sets you up for the whole day.
The staff were friendly and helpful and we really couldn't have asked for more from them.

Room Tip: We upgraded to a King Deluxe and if you are tall, I'm 6'6", it is DEFINITELY worth the...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear NeilGu, Thank you so much for your great review from your second visit with us. I am very pleased to read you enjoyed your festive getaway with us. I hope we may see you again soon, if not, then again this Christmas.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

My boyfriend took me here for both of our first time, as a valentines day package. I was so excited, he wisked me off after work and arrived at about 6pm. We were warmly greeted and were explained clearly as to where our room was. We made our way upstairs to find champagne on ice, 2 glasses and a small box of chocolates. What a nice touch!! We showered, got made up and made our way downstairs. We weren't in the main restaurant but that did not bother us, because what I was about to eat was going to be the best meal I have ever had in my 21 years! I had the duck in a rich Jus' and was just brilliant. The weather at the time was horrendous and the wind often blew the sliding entrance door so I got very cold, but nothing could spoil the evening. Rose pettles on the table, pink champagne on dinner arrival, followed by casual drinks in the bar afterwards. My partner and I were over the moon and cannot wait to come back once the refurbishments. Thank you to every single member of staff who worked over valentines day, best night away ever! :) :)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Katie D, Thank you so much for your fantastic 5 star review. I am very pleased to read how much you enjoyed your Valentines getaway with us. Thank you also for such a wonderful compliment on your dinner, I know my kitchen team will take great pride from it, as do I, thank you.
I hope we may see you again soon. Kind regards

Reviewed 3 April 2014

There is nothing standout good or bad about this hotel. It is a relatively large, soulless 3/4 star hotel.

My room was fine - bed was comfy if a bit soft for my liking, there was good WiFi and lots of plug sockets to recharge technology. The only bad point being the ridiculously poor shower pressure. Considering that the room was apparently recently refurb'd, I think the shower was well below expected/acceptable standards.

Breakfast was fine although almost instantly forgettable and the restaurant area has absolutely nothing in the way of charm or style.

The staff were all helpful.

In conclusion, this may be a perfectly fine hotel for a night before or after a cruise etc, but is not much more.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Reuters

Dear Reuters, Thank you for taking the time to review your visit. I am pleased most aspects of your stay met expectations, I am sorry the shower itself however was below par, which I will have the engineering team check. I am sorry you found us only mediocre, but we appreciate your comments, and as a team dedicated to constant improvement and growing our reputation, your comments have been invaluable to us, thank you.