“Great hotel with views”

Grand Harbour Hotel
Ranked #19 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed here prior to our cruise.
Our room looked out to sea and we were able to watch our cruise liner come into dock on our veranda.
The room was large, had fluffy towels, bathroom robes and a hostess tray.
Breakfast was great with even Chocolate muffins which for a chocoholic like myself was great to take with me for my coffee later on.
They had a nice lounge where you could wait and enjoy coffee whilst waiting to leave for our cruise.
We enjoyed it so much we have rebooked for our next cruise in July.

2  Thank Barbara B
Laura R, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Barbara B, Thank you for such a wonderful five star review I am so very pleased to read how much you enjoyed your pre cruise visit. We look forward to welcoming you back next July.

There are newer reviews for Grand Harbour Hotel

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

We were lucky enough to have a suite for the night and the room was so dusty. We had spent good money and expected the room to be spotless. The food was lovely and breakfast was beautiful. The room was a real let down though. Better hotels for the money.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Ben P

Dear Ben P, Thank you for your review. I am pleased to read you enjoyed the service and the food and beverage offering in the hotel during your stay. Please accept my apologies that you found your suite dusty, this is not as it should be and I have passed this to my housekeeper to ensure this does not recur.
Thank you again for your time.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Has a wonderful time when we visited and stayed in Southampton at the weekend.
After a 6 hour drive from Hull, we were so glad to arrive, only to find we were upgraded to a junior suite.
This was amazing and loved the fact we were upgraded for free.
We still are unaware why this happened, but appreciated that this was done.

Just to add, Sophie on reception was wonderful and put herself out to assist us at all times.
A real sweet and well mannered member of staff.

We experienced the pool and sauna and also the room facilities of the jacuzzi bath in the Junior Suite.

The breakfast was out of this world too, the full english was so fresh for my partner and I had the continental each morning.

Overall I can't wait to come and stay again, credit to all the staff as well as Sophie, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Room 550 Rigdale suite....
1  Thank Steph S

Dear Steph S, Thank you for the fabulous five star review. It is brilliant to read of your enjoyment. Thank you also for your wonderful comments about Sophie, who I know was as motivated as I was to read. Thank you again, and I hope we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have stayed here on several occasions over the years, and consider it to be overpriced and sometimes overrated. I upgraded to a harbour view room on arrival, having stayed in a town view room in the past (bit dreary) - much better and perhaps worth spending the extra money.

Dinner was served in the Atrium (as there were not that many guests). The food was good, but it was like the Arctic! I can confirm that the A/C works!

Breakfast was average.

Overall an OK experience

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear RogerD, Thank you for your Review. I am pleased you enjoyed some aspects of your stay, and hope that as a regular visitor you will enjoy seeing the changes taking place in the hotel. I am sorry that although you rank us highly in some areas, such as cleanliness and service, your overall experience was average, but please note we have taken on board your comments and I hope on your next visit you will feel your stay is far more of a 'Great' experience.

Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Very good hotel in all aspects. I stayed here for a few nights for the Southampton Boat Show and it works really well since the entrance to the show is 100meters away from the hotel entrance. The food is good too.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank MrGrimston

Dear Mr Grimston, Thank you for your 5 star review. It is fabulous to read how much you enjoyed your stay and that we suited all your needs. We hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 22 May 2014

Treated my friend to a relaxing spa day here for her birthday as a girly day out for 3 of us.
Unfortunately we were more on edge than relaxed from arrival through to departure.
From having the 'manager, shout at the trembling therapists in front of us, to the broken tiles in the sauna and the steam room the experience was very poor. We were ignored twice in the bar and restaurant and had to wait for 10 minutes after our food had arrived to have our drinks (why!?) and were shocked to find that there was no drinking water available close to the sauna and steam room!!! When we did find a water cooler the cups provided were teeny tiny cones....we had to do many 'shots' to replenish ourselves - I have never ever been to a health club that does not provide drinking water close to such facilities!!!!???? There was also no coals to pour water on for steam (and this had been very scruffily marked over on the facilities poster by a black marker pen).
The only good thing about the day was the actual treatments that we had as part of our 'experience', they were all wonderful, although sadly my friends shower blocked up and broke whilst she was washing off the body scrub...so it did not end as well as it should have. There was also very very loud drilling throughout the treatments, even after my therapist tried to turn the therapeutic music up it was still very loud.
To top it all off the staff neglected to tell us that they had swapped over the changing rooms when booking - so we arrived at our 'luxury' spa day to find ourselves in the men's changing room.....1 toilet, unless we had the ability to use a urinal!? No apology offered - just laughter from the team working.
Have written in to management but they are yet to reply, hardly surprising.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lottie B

Dear Lottie B, I am pleased to hear that you and the club Manager have spoken in order for us to fully understand the comments you have made here so we could deal with appropriately. I hope you have now received copy of our original reply to your email, as we take all feedback very seriously and endeavour to reply within 48 hours and I was most concerned to read you had thought we would not reply . Once again our sincere apologies you did not fully enjoy your vsiit and my thanks for providing us feedback in order to improve our services in the future.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

This hotel has a very impressive triangular glass window at the front of the building, unfortunately this didn't follow through for the rest of our stay. The area behind the glass is the dining room which with the high ceilings and canteen style furniture makes for a rather functional atmosphere. The food however was good , not a huge choice when you are on the Spring Deal,but you can pay the difference for some of the other choices. We were allocated a room with disabled facilities in the bathroom( very high toilet) even though we didn't request this and weren't given a choice when we arrived. When I queried it I was told some of the standard rooms are for the disabled and the rooms were picked at random.It would have been nice to have been asked.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Laura R, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Janine P, Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. I am sorry to read you do not like the new decor of the Atrium lounge area. I was however pleased to read that you enjoyed your meal. We have a number of rooms with additional features to ensure accessible to all, however should you be visiting again and not wish the type of standard room, please do not hesitate to drop me a line and I will ensure this does not occur.
Thank again for your time.