“80th birthday”

Grand Harbour Hotel
Ranked #20 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My mum just treated the family a meal and stay at this lovely hotel.
A big thank-you to Jo Bennett who help us with organising this event for my mum.
We had a total of eight rooms all were of high standard ,we were in 451 sat on the balcony watching the ocean liners leaving port down the Solent,even though I live in southampton what a veiw.
Yes the drinks are dear,but in my experience hotel prices are always expensive,sat out on the decking having coffee with my parents and saw a lot of poeple walking to the pub across the road
The staff were all happy and helpful.
The meal in the restaurant was faultless as was breakfast.
We all agreed that we will be be back!!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank mistyshine
Laura R, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Mistyshine, Thank you so much for your fabulous 5 star review. I am so pleased to read how much you enjoyed your recent stay for such a wonderful celebration as an 80th birthday. Thank you also for the fabulous compliment that you will all definitely return, this is truly appreciated. We hope to see you all soon.
Laura,
Laura Roberts / General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,940)

Reviewed 13 June 2014

recently stayed for 1 night B&B & 15 night parking pre cruise. This was our 3rd stay at the Grand Harbour and once again the service, breakfast and room could not be faulted. The check in process is quick and efficient. The breakfast is plentiful with ample choice for everyone . Even though the hotel was busy on the morning of our transfer to ship the staff are friendly and aproachable and the transfer was done at the pre-boooked time. On return from holiday the Hotel uses "West Quay taxis" for transfer from port to Hotel, again this is a quick and seamless process, with a polite and friendly driver. We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel, and its pre-cruise stay & park package. We look forward to using the service again in the future.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Foster269

Dear Foster269, Thank you for your great 5 star review. I am so pleased to hear you had a great pre and post stay when cruising from Southampton. I truly appreciate your taking the time to share you feedback on line, and I hope we will see you again soon.
Laura,

Reviewed 10 June 2014

This hotel is marketed at 4-star, and from the outside looks grand. Like most hotels, the lobby is nice and the staff pleasant, but on the inside it is no longer a 4-star.

The rooms are 'okay'. Dusty in the corners and simply dated. The shower is mounted at 6ft, to accommodate people from 100 years ago. Anyone who is taller needs to bend down whilst having a shower, never mind stand there for ages as there is not enough water pressure. The safe is too small to fit a laptop in. Breakfast is ok. They have a decent range. However you're often waiting a while to be seated as the person checking your room numbers is often elsewhere.

I can believe this hotel used to be a 4-star - but certainly not anymore. I would give it 3 star. They would need a serious refurb to gain the 4 stars back. I don't think this hotel is suited to business guests. I think their primary audience are those who need a nights stay before/after a cruise. I paid about £100 per night - so not a bad price overall.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Laura R, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear pr1te5h, Thank you for taking time to review your stay. I am pleased you enjoyed the service in the hotel and the breakfast offering. I was genuinely suprised that you found the rooms dated, as if I have read it correctly you note you stayed in June. By June 1st every bedroom in the hotel had gone through a full refurbsihment including all new furniture and the feedback so far of the new modern look has been very positive. I have passed your comments on regarding queue control the the restaurant manager to ensure this is not an ongoing issue.
Laura -

Reviewed 3 June 2014

This was my second time at this hotel, first time for a hen do and I was not disappointed.

I came here with my husband for a short break after us getting married. The hotel overall is amazing. Our bedroom was spacious and had a lovely balcony facing the harbour.

We paid for a 2 course meal in the restaurant, there is a limited choice with this deal. However, the food that we got served was delicious and they messed up my order so I got the trio dessert for free :). The breakfast is to died for so much selection, there is cooked breakfast, pastries, cereals, fresh juices and variety of fresh bread. Fresh tea and coffee served by waiters.

The spa facilitates are great, the jacuzzi was not working when I stayed but we still enjoyed the facilitates. Staff very friendly and helpful. We enquired about having a mini fridge put into our room, we left for the day and when we got back it was in our room. No fussy at all.

Good train links to the New Forest and not too far from the clubs.

There are always good deals directly on their website, so I would always look there first. I paid £218 for 2 night in the deluxe King room, with breakfast included. When I went the first time I paid £200 (split between 2 people) for one night stay in a standard double room, breakfast and 3 course dinner included.

I would recommend this hotel to everyone, I think it is worth the money. Would definitely come back again.

Room Tip: whether standard or deluxe the rooms are all spacious and clean
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sim231
Laura R, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear Sim231, Your 5 star review is truly fabulous and so comprehensive, thank you. Your time is valuable and to take the time to put together this review is truly appreciated. I am delighted you enjoyed every single moment of your hotel experience. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Very nice hotel, not cheap at all and the breakfast was very good.
Room 303 was spacious and very clean. One or 2 minor things needed small repairs but good view so very nice overall.
Disabled parking slots were often taken by people who did not display stickers. £10 a night for the main car park!
The staff do need a week at charm school! There were one or two nice members of staff but most of them were less than courteous.
Biggest gripe- the loo roll was thin and scratchy!

Room Tip: Rooms with a view are on a main road.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SeriousSue

Dear SeriousSue, Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased that you liked the hotel. I was very disappointed that you experienced less than excellent service please accept my sincere apologies for this and know that I have put all team members back into front line training to ensure this never recurs. We are dedicated to being a great hotel, and I thank you for your feedback to assist us in our endeavour.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Family held a wedding reception at this hotel on Saturday with a large number of us staying over. The staff really were the cherry on this trip. Rooms were exceptionally clean and lovely and breakfast was amazing but the willingness of the staff to help before even being asked really gives this hotel an edge. I cannot recommend this hotel enough and will definitely be back, really want to check out the spa next time!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank KimberlyM315

Dear KimberlyM315, Thank you for your fabulous 5 star review. I am delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of your stay, and especially the service from the team members you met. Thank you also for the fantastic compliment that you will definitely be back, a highly valued and most appreciated compliment. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed at the grand harbour hotel, perfect location as we needed the ocean terminal for a P and O cruise the next day. Distance about 5 mins to the terminal. Rooms clean and tidy, staff friendly, lots of choice and breakfast. Good value for money.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Nicky L

Dear Nicky L, Thank you so much for your great review. I was delighted to read of your enjoyment of your visit prior to your cruise. Thank you also for your compliments on the service you received, I know my team will take great motivation from your words, as have I. We hope to see you again soon.
Laura -