Grand Harbour Hotel
  • Bar/Lounge
Star Hotel(Southampton)
  • Pool
2,063 results
All reviewscruise packagecruise terminalone night staybuffet styleshopping centregood nights sleepwest quayatriumshipportdocks
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I have organised a large coporate event for over 200 delegates at this hotel for the last 3 years. I think they are brilliant. We have welcome drinks, a sit down 3 course meal, band and entertainment. Each year the staff, venue and food have been excellent. They will go out of their way to accomodate. Good level of friendliness and professionalism. To do over 200 covers to that standard for each course is really an acheivement- I would have happily had the meal in a restaurant and paid well for it. Usually mass catering is poor. I recently had a guinea fowl at a corporate function that I would have struggled to tell if it was animal, vegetable or mineral! My only criticism was the car park was full as there was a wedding at the same time, but there is parking just across the road. If you are planning ahead book accomodation in the premier Inn across the road as the room rate was half the offered 'reduced rate' in the hotel. Definately recomend- book early we had to comprimise on our dates as it was already booked a year in advance

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Laura R, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear DocHolidayhavant, Thank you for your great 5 star review on the hotel and the events you have attended. It is great to read how you found the staff venue and food as excellent. I truly appreciate the time you have taken to share your view on line, thank you. I hope we may see you again soon.
Laura –

Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

After my friend booked me a surprise spa day for my birthday I was more than excited! However from the moment we arrived my excitement disappeared bitterly! Firstly they didn't have us booked in! Asked my friend to re send her confirmation email to them again! UNPROFESSIONAL! Then we found out the steam room, jacuzzi and children's pool was out of use! Meaning there were children playing in the main pool, splashing, jumping, playing with balls, generally being an annoyance! So out of all the facilities there was only the sauna left to use, which was smaller than my wardrobe! Absolutely ridiculous! Could fit 3 people in there comfortably! So we thought we'd just go to the bar and have champagne cocktails, the bar staff were lovely! Then when it came to our lunch booking at 12 we informed them we were ready to eat, to find out they had no sign of our booking either! 15 mins later they said it was all ok and food would be straight out. 45 MINUTES LATER!!! Our starters finally arrived, mediocre to say the least. Then the mains which were off the deli menu, ciabbatta sandwiches so stale I cut my gums! And served with crisps? Really 5* food? This then made us late for our treatments, supposedly full body massage was more of an oily body rub! And we both experienced two completely different things! All in all I think you should be utterly embarrassed to not only be happy to have such poor spa facilities but to be charging the same extravagant prices?!? Unheard of! Disgusted with this so called 'spa' would have probably had better food at a wetherspoons and more relaxing time at a local leisure centre! Will never return!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Missjand

Dear MissJand, Please accept my sincere apologies your Spa day did not go as it should have. I believe you spoke at length with the Spa Manager regarding these points and we have rectified the communication error which was the catalyst for these issues. I am pleased to hear you will be returning in the future.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

We booked to stay the night before our first cruise. The website was very impressive and we duly booked in, The view wasn't. We dined out and returned for a nightcap. The bar staff were brusque to the point of being rude. They were inattentive and not really interested.
When we went back to our room I noted that the tissue dispenser had one tissue carefully positioned over an empty container. Why bother? If your £4.5 million refurb didn't stretch to a box of tissues - don't bother to insult me with this.
The next day I mentioned this to a manager who was furtively scurrying across the lobby. He explained that the service staff only had a certain amount of time to service each room. Well, that's alright then.

Long story short - would have preferred the money was spent on customer service - or paying the staff a decent wage.
I shan't be returning. Holiday Inn across the road is certainly unloved - but the staff are excellent. I should have stayed there.....

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Dominic F
Laura R, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear Dominic F, Please accept my apologies for the staff member in the evening Bar not being as attentive as he should have been I have passed this to the Bar Manager to ensure this does not recur. Please also accept my apologies for the tissue box in your room not being full. This was purely human error and the room attendants have been made aware to ensure they are more precise in their tissue box checks.

Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

I love this hotel! I've stayed here 4 times within 2 years even though I only live half hour away. It has a gorgeous spa which i use when I want to treat myself and also a lovely swimming pool, jacuzzi and steam rooms which is all included in the price when you stay. The food is fabulous! All you can eat breakfast! :) and you MUST get a cream tea- bit pricey but definitely worth it. My first ever stay was probably my favourite as it was my boyfriends birthday and we stayed in a room with a balcony, which was perfect as we are both smokers but all the other times we have just settled for a normal room, which are still great! So close to west quay shopping centre and lots of bars and restaurants within walking distance! This is not an expensive hotel as the service and what you get included is totally worth it! I always leave happy and relaxed! :)

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Sarah89Lamb

Dear Sarah89Lamb, Thank you for your great review. It was fabulous to read how much you have enjoyed your various stays at the hotel, and indeed all aspects of your stay. I truly appreciate your taking the time to share your views on line, thank you.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Looks can be deceiving. The exterior and the name promise so much but its not so grand as it looks. The drop of area is very good and the reception and downstairs bars are fine. The staff are very friendly. The issue for us was the relatively small and uncomfortable bed and the tiny bathroom. The room was large enough but you would expect the bed and bathroom to be a step up from a basic hotel. However there is a big redeeming factor to this hotel and that is the breakfast now that is in keeping with the word Grand it was superb. Hotel management invest in some new bedroom furnishings and increase the size of the bed and then you can start considering yourself Grand.

Room Tip: Back of the hotel looks over the hotel waste management and can also get the kitchen smells wafting in through the window if you opened it.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank TG911

Dear TG911, I am pleased to read you enjoyed some aspects of your stay with us in one of our classic standard rooms. It is great to see you enjoyed our breakfast offering and found the staff friendly. I see you would have liked a larger than Double size bed in your room. Please note should you choose to visit again, we have many various room types, with different size beds, please see our website for full details on the many room types.
Thank you for your feedback, and I hope we may see you again in the future.
Laura Roberts / General manager