“Comfortable hotel in terrific location for Ships Terminal”

Grand Harbour Hotel
Ranked #20 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed in this hotel after disembarking from QM2 early in the morning. Asked about early check in to be told check in is at 3 pm. Fully understanding how hotels work we asked if it was POSSIBLE to have an early check in.Answer "Check in is at 3 "
SO, if you have a mini monopoly on accommodation at Southampton due to the cruise ship industry, make sure you have excellent staff.
Grand Harbour failed miserably in this department..
Guest Parking charge of 10 pound for the night when parking next door is 2 pound.
No bar fridge
Housekeeping never answered phone so ice delivery to room 40 mins later after speaking to reception twice
Auto key didn't work (twice) so had to go down to reception twice.
Advertised WiFi in all areas, dreadful
The positives, lovely comfortable room, good bed, good shower, good A/C

Room Tip: room with a view of the harbour
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank madeleine671
Laura R, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Madeleine671, Thank you for your review. I am pleased to read you found the room lovely and the bed comfortable with good facilities in the room. I am sorry that we were unable to check you in prior to check in time and I have passed your comments to the team in regards to the way in which they communicated this to you so that they may improve this for future. Unfortunately, particularly on large cruise days with the amount of guests boarding and disembarking we do not have available rooms to assist with an early check in, I am truly sorry this has detracted from your visit. I am pleased however you found our location to the cruise terminal helpful. Thank you again for your feedback. Kind regards

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Wonderful hotel, no bad points whatsoever. Staff were very busy dealing with other guests arriving & departing from cruise ships but took time time for all guests.
We only had breakfast & that was excellent, plenty of choice
Ideal for visiting Southampton, close to Town Quay & cruise terminal

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Meggsy54

Dear Meggsy54, Thank you so much for your fabulous 5 star review, it is very much appreciated. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay and I hope we may be able to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Stayed here many times, The Grand Harbour is a very impressive Hotel. I have stayed in most of the room types, even been upgraded to the Master Suite, which is amazing, but sadly I would not be able to afford this luxury had it not been for the upgrade. It was possibly the best room I have ever stayed in. Suite, that is, as it has a hall, dining room, lounge, bathroom with whirlpool bath.
The standard rooms are good, the more expensive ones that have a balcony with outside furniture are really lovely, especially if the weather is good to appreciate eating alfresco. The family rooms are big enough.
It is a shame that the leisure centre, and pool is so fare away from most of the rooms, as if you like to make use of these facilities, it is quite awkward wearing a bathrobe with that far to walk and a pain if you have to get dressed and pack a bag, that defeats the object of a hotel pool.
Overall, i think accommodation is over priced, it needs to be more competitive, with the new hotels so close and better value.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear SueSunshiny, Thank you for your review regarding your last visit in January. I am pleased you enjoyed your visit, as with other visits you have had. Please note we do have many special offers on our website should you wish to visits again in the future and looking for special deals. I hope we see you back again soon.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed for 2 nights before embarking on a cruise. It is a very convenient location for this. Also, we returned a rented car to Enterprise car rentals and it is a very short walk to the hotel.

Our room was a deluxe king size bed. The room was large, had a view of the harbour. The king size bed was actually two beds pressed together and was very comfortable. There is no mini-bar in the room. There are coffee and tea making facilities.

The bathroom has an air vent but no exhaust fan. The shower was accessed by stepping into a bath. The towels on my scale 0 (thin/small/rough) to 10 (thick/large/luxurious) rate 8. The toilet and wash basin could be cleaner but still acceptable.

We didn't have breakfast.

The staff are friendly and helpful.

We enjoyed our stay and we would stay here again before embarking on a cruise.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Nigelbalaam, Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay. I was very pleased to read you enjoyed your stay, and found the team friendly. Our location is perfect for when leaving on a cruise, we trust you had a fantastic time and hope we may welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

I was making a group booking for business and had originally looked at the ugly looking Holiday Inn opposite the Grand Harbour Hotel. The colleague I was with suggested we take a stroll across the road as the Grand Harbour looked... grand.

When walking in, the Grand Harbour leaves a good impression and on further investigation the price per room was very similar to Holiday Inn. We were booking for a particular date on which we knew all of us would be returning from our business commitment well after midnight and in need of a drink. To that end we specifically asked reception staff if the bar was open very late for residents and the answer was "yes". That was it, the deal was clinched over and above the Holiday Inn.
What we didn't know is that we had just been lied to.

The rooms are well appointed, especially if you get those which overlook the harbour as ships will pass by your hotel window and you may also be lucky enough to have a small balcony.

All was going well until our group returned to the hotel to find the bar in darkness and reception staff telling us it was not possible to get a drink. The whole group then had to drive a quarter of an hour to a colleague's hotel which was still open and serving drinks. This should not have been necessary given the hotel's promise on our initial enquiry and was not appreciated.

Breakfast was served in a light and airy atrium, but what was surprising for the room price (£120+) was that breakfast was not cooked to order but buffet/canteen style. I expected so much more.

The reason the Grand Harbour Hotel is scored more than frankly it should, is solely because of the building. Whatever firm designed it knew it was building an above average hotel. What a shame it's service and breakfast which drags the score down.

If it was not for the swanky building, the Grand Harbour Hotel would have been awarded a mere two or three TripAdvisor 'blobs'. Stay elsewhere if you expect the exceptional.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing the harbour with balcony
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Laura R, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Consumer Bloke, Thank you for your review. I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy all aspects of your stay, please accept my apologies for this. Although the bar shut at 2am we do quite happily serve drinks via room service to guests if they wish, I am sorry if this was not advised to you at the time. Our Buffet breakfast is a feature normally quite enjoyed by our guests as it allows guests to choose from a huge variety of cooked and continental items, however should you return and prefer we do also offer a table menu of plated speciality’s for breakfast such eggs benedict and omelettes cooked to order. Thank you again for your feedback

Reviewed 4 July 2014

I paid £199 for one night stay! I choose this hotel for the porter service and the Spa as I had a lot of equipment and needed to relax after work. The porters were great! Spa not in working order.:(((
Baby pool, Jacuzzi and steam room were out of order. If I didn't pay £199 I wouldn't have minded so much and could have gone to a cheaper hotel without the spa.
On arriving the queue for check in was ridiculous, with only two staff checking in! I had a baby so needed to feed him - no where was suitable. I was also here for business and late for my appointment. Very stressful when paying top dollar I expect top service!
The room was fantastic! Cot was provided as requested but no fridge for baby milk. We were very very pleased to have been giving a balcony even though were told none left. My Mum loved the room and the balcony :))) and enjoyed her room service while I went to work. Great views!
The food was good and breakfast good.
I would have expected the breakfast to be outstanding though at this price.
The ambient of the hotel is lovely and friendly staff.
I think its cheek to charge £10 a night for parking!
We asked for some hot chocolate sachets but my mum was sold two hot chocolates that cost her £10!!
Overall we enjoyed our stay. Feel they should not charge high prices when they can't deliver - SPA broken.
Some improvements needed - better value or make sure hotel is up to standard!
Tip- Blackout curtain required in room.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony looking out to sea - however there is a main road.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Caroviolina, Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay overall and found the team friendly. I am sorry that you had not been advised that the spa and baby pool were no longer features of the pool area. We are however pleased to say we have a new Hot tub being built as we speak. Should you be returning in the future and would like a fridge in your room, please let us know and we will ensure to place one in the room. Please accept my apologies for the delay you had on checking due to a busy reception, I have passed your comments to the team to look to rectify where possible in the future.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

stayed the weekend as part of the Peppa Pig visit, had a family room which was very spacious and very well appointed.

Was only a 15 min drive from the park, staff were excellent and breakfast was pretty varied and very tasty.

We'd definitely go back to stay

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank RajuWatts

Dear RajuWatts, Thank you for your great review regarding your recent visit. I am so pleased you and your family enjoyed the hotel as a base while visiting Peppa Pig World. Thank you also for the fabulous accolade that you would definitely stay again, it is very appreciated.