“We'll really!”

Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Southampton, United Kingdom
“We'll really!”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We were there for my nephews wedding reception, the hotel looks impressive but service awful.
Reasons as follows.
1. The red carpet was not laid out for the bride and grooms arrival. Which was requested and the cost of the wedding should have been edged in gold as we'll.
2. The meal when served was cold and size a joke, although it did taste ok.
3. If you wanted cheese and biscuits that would cost extra. Unbelievable.
4. We had to complain as the air con was not on, although they said it was, tell that to the people who we're flaking out.
5. Service was terrible, although that was not the staffs fault as there were hardly any there, sure the company is trying to save money.
6. Two guests got stuck in the lift and it took about 10-15 minutes for someone to respond to the lift alarm.
7. Only 3 bar staff on for near on two hundred guests.
I could go on but I know I am not going to be the only one complaining.

Although the concierge desk etc we're very nice and helpful. This has not been my first visit to the hotel, we have stopped twice before, but decided we wouldn't stop there again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else overrated and overpriced
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Charmed36tracy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
  • Hebrew first
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

we stopped at the grand Harbour Hotel on 17th and 18th oct 2013 before a cruise,as we had in the past. The only difference this time was we opted B&B plus evening meal,this was around £450 plus extra's. The hotel and room of good quality and the pool was great.However we discovered to our amazement when sitting down to order our evening meal,the fee did not cover most of the menu as this counted as extra's.To add salt into the wounds they stuck 2 days car parking on top.
If the room charge was more with no hidden charges we would have be happy.We will not be stopping there again. Dave Curwood

Room Tip: go to premier inn
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dave C
Laura R, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Dave C, I am sorry to read your review from last year where you did not fully enjoy all aspects of your visit. There have been many changes in the year since you last stayed at the hotel, including a full £4 million hotel refurbishment and restaurant menus. We do still charge for car parking as do all the hotels in the city of Southampton, I am sorry you were not aware of this prior to arrival. I can assure you we have this in the pre arrival email for direct bookings, listed with travel agents and written on our website in the interest of complete transparency of our charges.
Kind Regards
Laura -
Laura Roberts / General Manager
Danville, Virginia
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My daughter and I stayed in Southampton prior to boarding the Queen Mary 2 for a transatlantic cruise. I picked the Grand Harbour Hotel because of the reviews and the location. We were not disappointed. The hotel is adjacent to the Old Town which still has remnants of the wall. We walked to a shopping center from there and later walked to Oxford Street to have a drink at the White Star Pub (where the Titanic crew had met) and dinner at Kuti's Indian Restaurant on Oxford Street. The next day we walked around Old Town, had a delicious lunch at the historic Duke of Wellington Pub, then walked across the street to take the Red Funnel Ferry to Isle of Wight. The next day we simply walked across the street and boarded our ship. The hotel was very nice, very comfortable and the people at the desk and the concierge were friendly and helpful. I would certainly recommend staying at the Grand Harbour Hotel when in Southampton.

Room Tip: When we arrived they had us already booked into a room on the front with a view of the harbor and th...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Reporter
Grand Harbour H... S, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Reporter

Thank you for your wonderful 5 star review, it was a pleasure to read that you not only enjoyed your time at the Grand Harbour Hotel but that you were able to explore the local area and enjoy some of the delights that Southampton has to offer and are right on our doorstep.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

United States
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I only have good memories from this hotel. And when we like a place we visit again and we recommend to our relatives or friends. This is not new. There's nothing that I didn't like in this hotel. The breakfast was simply delicious and a lot of diversity, the staff was very very attentive, hotel and our room very clean.... And what a fantastic dinner with my husband. There were 2girls so attentive with us serving our meal. Our room was perfect. Very comfortable. For a visitor the location of this hotel at the city is perfect. Our stay for 3nights in a deluxe king room was a little bit pricey but it worths. Definitely if I visit the beautiful city of southampton I will stay in this hotel again. Thanks staff of grand harbour hotel for a amazing stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BelaPumpkin
Dear Belapumpkin

What a delight to read your review following your recent stay at the hotel, thank you for taking the time to share your positive comments about your stay at the Grand Harbour Hotel.

I will of course share your feedback with all our team and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and Southampton in the near future.

London
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This hotel is located right next to the water, so in a good location and close to a McDonald's should you feel the need to go in search of a smile. In the time I was there I didn't see one member of staff smile, in fact the staff at breakfast were positively miserable. The breakfast was just about acceptable but is there really still a need to be charged a £1.50 supplement for a cappuccino? I hate it when this happens in hotels, especially when it comes from a machine.
Room was very comfortable but all amenities and condiments are nameless cheap brands, so bring your own...including ketchup...you'll make yourself smile.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank showbizandi
Dear showbizandi, I pleased to read that you enjoyed the comfort and good night’s sleep while here at the hotel, but saddened to read you did not find the team friendly. I have passed your comments to the team, who I know will be just as disappointed as I that you did not experience the normally friendly team spirit we have grown in the hotel. We will work to ensure this is not experienced by others. Please accept my sincere apologies and my thanks for bringing this to our attention.
Laura -
Laura Roberts / General Manager
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed only one night before going on a cruise so the package was B & B plus 15 days car parking & taxis to and from the port. The hotel was 5 star & following refurbishment in 2014 is now 4 star plus.

The whole experience was brilliant with staff, friendly, polite and helpful.

The room was large, well furnished & spotless. We had an excellent nights sleep and could not fault the hot cooked buffet breakfast.

Excellent value for money. We will return.

Room Tip: Our romm overlooked the rear & no noise was heard at all.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David W
Dear David W

Thank you for taking the time to share your 5 star review with other readers of this site, I was delighted to read your positive comments.

Providing a good night’s sleep and a hearty breakfast are very much a key focus for us at the hotel and I am delighted that we met your expectations on all aspects of your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand Harbour Hotel in the near future.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

A warm welcome and a very clear precise details of the cruise package.Everything went smoothly.great start and finish to the cruise.The pool is good.Food is also good.Most relaxing experience.Very helpful staff.

Room Tip: ask for one facing tne old wall but all rooms are quiet
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ann S
Dear Ann S

Thank you for the 4 star review, I was delighted to read that your stay went so smoothly and enhanced your cruise holiday.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand Harbour Hotel in the future