“Afternoon Tea at Grand Harbour Hotel”

Grand Harbour Hotel
Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Afternoon Tea at Grand Harbour Hotel”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Have been to afternoon tea at Grand Harbour Hotel three times and have had a fantastic experience each time. The service by Luis on each occasion couldn't have been better, such a friendly manner and always happy to help! Service with a smile every time! Thank you!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank HannahT297
Laura R, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear HannahT297, It was great to read of your continued enjoyment of afternoon tea, and the service you receive from the bar staff, in particular Luis. I know he will take great motivation from your kind words, as do I, thank you. Thank you for taking the time to share your great feedback.
Laura
Laura Roberts / General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
Malaga
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Had a very nice room although had to ask for feather pillows, for a de/luxe room these should already be there. Had dinner in the restsurant the service and food were excellent, although 11ck am in the bar cafe was a different matter, had to go and find service and I had a chicken liver pate (was not impressed with the breakfast so was hungry) the small slate plate was stupid to serve anything but a tomotoe on.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Dawn M
Dear Dawn M, Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay. I was pleased to read you enjoyed most aspects of your stay, in particular your dinner in the restaurant. We have a variety of pillows available to guests on request as you note, however we have found that due to the rise in guests asking for non-feather pillows that it has led us to move these to requested items from designated items in our rooms. I am sorry to read you were not overly satisfied with the array at breakfast, normally a selection our guests find good. If there are items you feel that we could add to our fully cooked or continental buffet and alacarte breakfast menus please do not hesitate to let me know as we are always striving to tailor our offerings to our guests preferred tastes. I have also passed your comments regarding the bar service to the Bar Manager to correct, my apologies for a shortfall in service there. Thank you again for your feedback
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Arrived for a relaxing treat for a hen party. Gutted that we were not advised the jacuzzi was not in use before our arrival date. Then whilst making use of the pool before our treatment building work was being carried out making it difficult to relax and enjoy.

After checking in and going to our rooms the amount of dust that was on the glass side were unbelievable. Once we were all ready to dine we entered the restaurant then had a long wait before receiving any type of refreshments, eventually drinks were served. After all food was ordered the wait between each course was just not acceptable and on the arrival of our mains they turned out to be warm enough to eat and no time to complain due to having our night planned bearing in mind we had to skip 1 of our intended destinations due to the length of time it took to finish our meals. One of the ladies in our booking actualy had to substitute her main for a second starter and bowl of chips (which were again cold due to being left on the side as advised by a member of staff) due to her dinner containing a food which she didnt like and wasnt mentioned on the menu. After various complaints to a lovely waitress Destiny who seemed to bring everything back under control. We finally made it out of the restaurant to enjoy our night elsewhere.

The following morning we arrive back to the restaurant only to start the waiting game again, again waiting for tea then the milk etc all in all very disappointed.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Claire S
Dear Claire S, I am sorry to read, that you and your friends did not enjoy your visit to the hotel. As you booked via a third party agent we did not have access to your information prior to your arrival. Your agent however was advised in May that we did not have a Jacuzzi; I do not know why they did not pass this information on to you. As with the below reviews from your hen party, please accept my sincere apologies for the issues that occurred in the restaurant, I am pleased however that the waitress was able to recoup this for you by the end of your meal so you could continue to your evening out. We appreciate all feedback, and I can assure you we have taken on board your comments going forward to ensure these instances do not recur. I am also pleased to say we now have a brand new Jacuzzi on site.
Laura Roberts / General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Southampton hotels

Andover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for my daughter's hen party, the one thing she wanted was a spa and relaxation, when we arrived we went for our treatments only to be told at that point we were unable to use the spa due to work being done, we did not receive an email to inform us of this neither was it mentioned when it was booked, in the evening we went to the restaurant for our meal, we sat down at 20.15 and never left until 22.45, we had about 3 starters come out and after we waited and waited for our main which took ages to come out, one of our party could not eat her meal due to something being in it that she can't eat, this was not on the menu to say it was in the meal, also a few of the girls had ordered some soft drinks which didn't come out straight away we had to ask someone when our drinks were going to be brought over, Destiny was doing her best to put everything right so that we could enjoy our evening, she was the only one that I saw running backward and forward and working hard.
Our breakfast was not a very good experience either, we had ordered three pots of tea which took ages to come to us, in fact we had all got our breakfast and almost finished eating it by time it had arrived.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank janet g
Laura R, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Janet G, Please accept my apologies that you did not enjoy all aspects of your recent stay. In regards to the Jacuzzi, this is not a facility that we have listed or advertised since April this year when it was removed. We are however building a new one which will be opened this Friday. I am sorry that you were not aware this was not a service we presently offer, and it should have been advised to the main booker when you were booking, outside of being on our main website. As I have mentioned in one of the other trip advisor comments your group have posted, I am very pleased you found Destiny to be working hard to assist you, I am however truly sorry that you experienced these issues in the restaurant, however the cause of this was a one off situation which has now been rectified so it does not recur.
Laura

Laura Roberts / General manager
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

My friend and i took my granddaughter here for afternoon tea and she is 7. We loved all aspects of the food and pimms and granddaughter loved her orange juice which they also made pretty with fruit. Service was excellent and amused granddaughter as posh bird in training. Definitely recommend

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Abbey19, Thank you so much for your 5 star review. I am delighted that you all enjoyed your afternoon tea here at the hotel and in particular found the service excellent. I know my team will take great motivation from your comments, as do I, thank you. I do hope we might see you all again soon.
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We arrived at the Grand Harbour hotel to be told they didn't have any disabled rooms with a wet room and roll in shower, even though I had phoned up 3 times (once being on the day, before we left home) and were promised they had one available for us. My husband is in a wheelchair so it is really important that we have this type of room. The guy at the receptionist was trying to be helpful however there was absolutely nothing he could have done for us as they don't have any in the whole hotel. We were allocated a normal room. We went to our room and I spent the next hour ringing around hotels in Southampton and the surrounding area to try and find a hotel that could accommodate us. I really did not expect to be doing this at 10pm. We really thought we were going to have to go home. Eventually we found a hotel that had an available room.
I soon went to reception and checked out. I feel thoroughly disappointed and upset by the whole experience, I will certainly not be returning to the Grand Harbour Hotel.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Becky F
Dear Becky F, Please accept my apologies that the team member who dealt with your booking misunderstood your needs. The team had thought you had requested a walk-in shower, which we do have. I am sorry they did not appreciate it was a full wet room you required, I have put a retraining program in place to ensure this type of error does not recur. I can fully appreciate your frustration and I sincerely apologise for this confusion.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We arrived at the Grand Habour for a Hen Weekend, the reception area was lovely. We were taken to the spa area where we were greeted with a notice informing guests the jaquzzi was not in use due to refurbishment. We went to the pool area which was lovely, clean and peaceful UNTIL the extremely loud drilling began, not very relaxing for a spa weekend. 4 put of the group of 6 had massages and the beauticians did a great job. We went to the restaurant for our evening meal, we were sat and we asked for some tap water, we asked twice, took 20 minutes to arrive. We then ordered out starters, again a long wait but they were very good. Our main meals arrived well over an hour after our arrival. One of our guests began eating her meal and it was not as it was advertised on the menu. Unfortunately due to it containing and ingredient she is unable to eat it had to be sent back. She did not have time to reorder as we had somewhere else to be so was offered a starter. We were told this would be bought out immediately and in fact it was left in the kitchen and the poor waitress has not been notified. She received her started as we finished our mains. Destiny then became our waitress who had been working her socks off and is a real credit to the team. We ordered our desserts and she ensured we received these in good time. She was such a friendly waitress and really knew what good quality customer service means. Such a shame the rest of the team were like this.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nicola C
Dear Nicola C, Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I am sorry to hear it was not as expected. We have not advertised a Jacuzzi as part of the Hotel since April as we are in the process of building a new feature Hot tub and the old one had been removed. This should have been advised to your main booker when booking, my apologies that this does not appear to have reached you. I am pleased to say the New Hot tub will be open on Friday. I am pleased to hear Destiny was able to assist you during your dinner and ensure that this was turned around for you, although I am very sorry that issues occurred to begin with for your meal. All your comments have been passed to the restaurant manager to encompass in the on-going service training that the team have and your kind comments on Destiny shared with her directly.
Laura.