we were spending two nights in Southampton prior to taking a transatlantic cruise back to New York. we booked the Grand Harbour without doing our normal research because of its proximity to the port of Southampton. We made a non-refundable reservation then decided to look at reviews. We were a little concerned as they were not at all good, citing maintenance and service issues. well, for two nights we figured it would be OK. We were actually surprised to NOT find the issues we read about. Perhaps they read some of their own reviews and fixed the issues. We had a standard King room in the front part of the hotel. We were surprised to find a large balcony. We spoke with a few different people at the front desk and all were helpful, friendly and attentive. A friend arrived a head of us with our baggage and when we arrived, we were pleased to find that they already took our bags to our room before we even checked in. The room was spacious and clean. It lacked a refrigerator and ice bucket and there was no ice machine available. We had some champagne were brought to share with friends and no way to chill it. However, we called and the bar provided us with the bucket, ice and champagne glasses. We used the bar and restaurant which were both fine and reasonable. The food was good if not inspiring. They had a breakfast buffet that was included in the price. The hotel was very near the port and it was easy to get to the Red Funnel Ferry to go to the Isle of Wight. The was also a very nice mall 3 blocks away. There were plenty of local pubs nearby and chose the Duke of Wellington as it was off the beaten track and was full of locals not tourists. We had some time after checkout and the concierge checked our baggage for us while we toured the area. All in all, this hotel was good for us. It was reasonably priced, in a good location. We would use it again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set sail for a unique stay at the 4-star Grand Harbour Hotel Southampton. Overlooking Southampton waterfront, this iconic hotel with its towering glass atrium is a cut above the rest. Visit one of two restaurants each with their contemporary cuisine or try the unique candlelit spa. If you are in Southampton on business we can facilitate any meeting requirements with our impressive function rooms and dedicated event co-ordinators. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Ebookers, Superbreak UK, Lastminute, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Grand Harbour Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- De Vere Grand Harbour Hotel Southampton
- De Vere Grand Harbour Southampton
- De Vere Hotel Southampton