“Southampton's Cruise Port Hotel”

Grand Harbour Hotel
Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Bloomfield, New Jersey, United States
“Southampton's Cruise Port Hotel”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

we were spending two nights in Southampton prior to taking a transatlantic cruise back to New York. we booked the Grand Harbour without doing our normal research because of its proximity to the port of Southampton. We made a non-refundable reservation then decided to look at reviews. We were a little concerned as they were not at all good, citing maintenance and service issues. well, for two nights we figured it would be OK. We were actually surprised to NOT find the issues we read about. Perhaps they read some of their own reviews and fixed the issues. We had a standard King room in the front part of the hotel. We were surprised to find a large balcony. We spoke with a few different people at the front desk and all were helpful, friendly and attentive. A friend arrived a head of us with our baggage and when we arrived, we were pleased to find that they already took our bags to our room before we even checked in. The room was spacious and clean. It lacked a refrigerator and ice bucket and there was no ice machine available. We had some champagne were brought to share with friends and no way to chill it. However, we called and the bar provided us with the bucket, ice and champagne glasses. We used the bar and restaurant which were both fine and reasonable. The food was good if not inspiring. They had a breakfast buffet that was included in the price. The hotel was very near the port and it was easy to get to the Red Funnel Ferry to go to the Isle of Wight. The was also a very nice mall 3 blocks away. There were plenty of local pubs nearby and chose the Duke of Wellington as it was off the beaten track and was full of locals not tourists. We had some time after checkout and the concierge checked our baggage for us while we toured the area. All in all, this hotel was good for us. It was reasonably priced, in a good location. We would use it again.

Room Tip: A front room with a balcony is a good choice.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Laura R, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 8 September 2014
Dear John P M, Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit. I was very pleased to read that you rated the service, room and value all as very good. It is great that you enjoyed all aspects of your visit. I am sorry to see that you only noted your overall impression as average, however I can assure that as you quite rightly note, we do read all feedback and ensure it is shared with all of the team, to help us continually grow with our guest’s expectations. I hope we may see you again in the near future.
Thank you again for your time.
Laura Roberts / General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
Droitwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

Central Southampton with parking
Great facilities, pool, health club etc etc
Modern hotel
Good bar
Big rooms with large comfy beds
Great nights sleep
Buffet breakfast , lots of choice
Definitely worth a visit if your ever in Southampton

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Laura R, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Dear Charles H, Thank you so much for your great review. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay, and found all of the services and facilities you encountered were great. Thank you also for your fabulous recommend to others, this is very much appreciated.
I hope we may have an opportunity to welcome you back again soon.
Arundel sussex
Reviewed 28 August 2014

we booked for a Sunday night and got a rate of £71 which was excellentvalue, hotel has everything, it has a 70's feel, although built in 1992, I couldn't fault the hotel apart from expensive drinks in the bar, but that goes with the terrority when you book a 4 star hote, I used the leisure facilities, the gym and the swimming pool, all good and clean.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Pauldendle, Thank you so much for your fantastic 5 star review of your visit. I was delighted to read that you found the service, cleanliness and value to be excellent. I hope we may have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future.
Los Angeles
Reviewed 28 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at Grand Harbour Hotel one night, on Aug 8, before our cruise to the Norwegian Fjords, and had a comfortable and pleasant stay. We booked the hotel and paid in full last December 2013, and asked for a double bed on an upper floor with water view, if possible. Although they did give us a double bed (which to us in the US is a king size bed) on an upper floor, we did not have a water view and were on the opposite side of the hotel, with a partial view of the City, which was fine since we were only there for one night, it was pouring rain and we were exhausted with jet lag from our 10.5 hour flight from LAX to LHR. The room was really perfect, because it was clean, quiet, comfortable, and everything was in good working order. They brought us a decent tasting room service dinner and check-out the next morning was quick and efficient. They even called a cab for us in advance so that it was waiting at the curb outside to take us to the Pier where our ship was docked. If we had stayed longer, we could have checked out the restaurant and other facilities, which looked good, too. I would probably stay here again if we ever have occasion to overnight in Southampton.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor with water view.
1 Thank TaraLosAngeles
Dear TaraLosAngeles, Thank you so much for taking the time to review your visit. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay, and in particular that you found your room to be perfect, comfortable and clean. Thank you also for the great compliment that you would indeed stay with us again when visiting Southampton. I hope we may see you again soon.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I have stayed here on a number of occasions the most recent being a one night stay on 26th July 2014. We had two rooms, a twin de lux and a double de lux with a balcony - the rooms were excellent and, since the refurbishment, they now have air conditioning which, on its own is a considerable improvement.
The reception staff and all of the other staff we met were very friendly, well informed and helpful.
As with the bedrooms the public rooms have been fully overhauled and show a considerable improvement from previous stays. Breakfast was, as expected buffet style and varied and well presented.
We dined in the restaurant on the Saturday evening and although the service was very good the menu is, I believe a little predictable and on the expensive side - there are other restaurants in the locality which offer a more varied menu at a more competitive price. This was the only downside to what otherwise was an excellent stay.
At the time we stayed the hotel was also hosting the Indian Cricket team along with a number of the Sky presenters which was an added bonus for the two boys - and for me if I am being honest !!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Grand Harbour H... S, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear DavidT

Thank you for your honest review. I was pleased that overall you enoyed your stay at the hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014

As soon as we open door to our delux double room feelt disappointed. It made me to do deeper research about standart and deluxe double rooms.the more I found the more I feelt we In the wrong room.the size, the windows.there was no extra bed for our boy.no dressing gowns.after contacting reception they sound surprised that there is no extra bed. The manager react really understanding, by saying she will be happy to transfer us to different room, that they care about customers. So she went to see what she can do.After 3min she bach ,ask to show my booking.and excuses that she thinks I overlooked on wrong webside, that I didn't book directly trough them about that is really deluxe room, that dryer broken, that if we like to stay next time , she will do all to make are stay beter.in her behaviour befor and after I event more convenient that this isn't the room I bookt.i would be happy to come back if this situation was handled professionally, but it wasn't.

Room Tip: Research research about the room you choose.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank siga s
Dear SigaS

Thank you for your review, I was disappointed to read that your recent stay did not meet your expectations.

I understand that you spoke to our Guest Relations Manager regarding your reservation made via a 3rd party agent and she explained the difference in our room types to you. I'm sorry that you felt this was not handled professionally however I am assured that the miscommunication regarding the additional bed was quickly rectified and as a gesture of goodwill bathrobes and slippers were brought to you room.

I do hope that we may have the opportunity to restore your faith in the Grand Harbour Hotel and welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night. The main hotel itself needs to be upgraded as very dated but the staff and bedrooms do make up for it. Our bedroom was stunningly put together with gorgeous furnishings and a beautiful balcony overlooking Southampton harbour. The pool and spa facilities were nice, the changing rooms were dated, but its a great facility to have. I was a bit disappointed with rate as feel it was too expensive for the hotel as there were clear and definite lackings. I probably would not stay again due to price as I thought it was bad value for money and would prefer to spend it in a mose sophisticated, modern 4* hotel.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear KatieS

Thank you for taking the time to write your personal review of the hotel following your recent stay. Our £4million refurbishment was completed earlier this year and indeed incorporated a number of areas within the hotel including our bedrooms, public areas and Leisure Club.

I was disappointed that you felt the hotel did not offer value for money and that you feel unable to return due to clear and definite lacking’s, it’s such a shame you did not mention this to a member of my team before departing as we are passionate about our guests experience and would have welcomed that opportunity to discuss your expectations with you. I do hope that we may have the opportunity in the future to restore your faith in the Grand Harbour Hotel.