From the outside this hotel looks quite smart, however the check in is usually a good guide as to how things are going to go. We found the whole procedure rather slow and the staff (three of them) seemed quite overwhelmed when 5 people, including us, arrived at the same time. They had a lengthy discussion with one man who was staying at the hotel and basically told him as his name did not come up on the system, he could not possibly staying at the hotel, even though he had just come down from his room. When there attention came to us ( 2 rooms made on the same booking, they found mine fairly quickly, but my colleagues booking seemed more illusive, even though I had confirmation of both rooms printed out in front of me. Rooms were of a good size and in general very clean, although a shoe polish mark along the bathroom floor seemed to surprise them so they left it, wasn't that hard to wipe it off with a piece of loo paper!
That evening we found that the hotel isn't quite on the harbour front as suggested, great for the cruise port but a bit of a hike from everything else! The hotel bar was over brightly lit and the service very slow and impersonal, drinks were very expensive, so if you are going for a hangover, make sure you have been to the cash point first!!
The bed was fairly comfortable although the room warmed up though the night and when I turned the A.C. on found the noise was worse than the heat so the rest of the night was not quite as expected.
Breakfast was the best part of the stay, great choice and good service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set sail for a unique stay at the 4-star Grand Harbour Hotel Southampton. Overlooking Southampton waterfront, this iconic hotel with its towering glass atrium is a cut above the rest. Visit one of two restaurants each with their contemporary cuisine or try the unique candlelit spa. If you are in Southampton on business we can facilitate any meeting requirements with our impressive function rooms and dedicated event co-ordinators. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Lastminute, Hotels.com, Expedia, Superbreak UK, TripOnline SA, LateRooms, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Grand Harbour Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- De Vere Grand Harbour Hotel Southampton
- De Vere Grand Harbour Southampton
- De Vere Hotel Southampton