“Not impressed”

GreenLeadersBronze level
York
“Not impressed”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Stayed at the Ibis for 1 night prior to cruising to Norway in June. We arrived at the railway station about 11pm after a long train journey from York, got a taxi and arrived at the Ibis about 5 minutes later. Checked in with a pleasant man on reception (very noisy however because the reception is attached to the bar and some young professionals?? had decided to get hammered on their work jolly night away) and went up to the room. First impressions were that the twin beds were a bit too close to each other for comfort (not surprising really considering they are probably just pushed together to make a king bed) and the room was a bit small. The bathroom was a reasonable size and clean. We had a look through the room service menu (some items available 24 hours a day) and decided to order some food because we had been expecting to eat in the buffet car on the train but it didn't have one so we hadn't had a proper meal for hours. You had to order from the bar so down I went. The group of young professionals?? had become quite rowdy by this time and I stood waiting a few minutes at reception till an obviously tired and stressed receptionist asked if I was ok as she was leaving the building. Explained what I wanted and she sort of sighed a bit and went to ring them through on the till (right next to reception). An older lady came over to her and asked what she was doing, the receptionist explained she was putting my order through. The other lady reaction was words to the effect of "you must be joking!!", huffed and puffed a bit and looked extremely displeased. I was very much within earshot of this and felt extremely embarrassed. We hadn't even order a lot - a jacket potato, fruit, soup, a couple of drinks and they really shouldn't have a menu available at that time if they arn't willing to serve it with good grace. The older lady came out with the order and helped me carry it upstairs and was very pleasant to me when I explained why we were having food so late but it still didn't leave a great feeling.
The food was very good and when we settled to go to sleep, the beds were very comfortable and the room was a comfortable temperature.
The other problem that occurred was that the room was inter-linked with the room next door. My mum spotted when we arrived that there was just 1 door and a very flimsy chain on the door separating us from the other room. I convinced her that it wouldn't be a problem..........BIG MISTAKE!! We were woken about 2am (I think) with the occupants from next door returning from the bar (probably the guys we'd seen when we checked in) and continuing to talk between themselves for the next half hour or so. They weren't talking very loud but there was zero noise insulation between the rooms. After a while I called reception and the guy who answered it sounded weary as if he'd heard it all before. About 5 minutes later a piercing ring rang out through our room as he rang the guys next door to tell them to shut up. They did and we went to sleep ok.
Check out wasn't till 12 the next day which was brill. My mum went to breakfast and said it was good. Check out was ok, my mum mentioned the inter-connecting rooms and they said we should've rung them to request a non connecting room but this was our first visit so how should we have known that?
One other minor gripe, on leaving my room with all my bags, I realised I left another bag in the room. I asked a cleaner if she could open the door and she refused, said I needed to go to reception. I understand the security aspect of this but she'd just seen me leave the room so a bit of common sense wouldn't have gone amiss here!
All in all, not the worst hotel I have stayed at by far but it does definitely have issues that need addressing and I would probably try one of the many other hotels that Southampton has to offer when I'm next in the area as I didn't pay a cheap price for this hotel and suspect I can get better for the price.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Love_animals66
Southmanager, Front Office Manager at Ibis Southampton Centre, responded to this review, 27 July 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We treat all of our comments with the utmost seriousness and we will be investigating this matter accordingly. Kind regards, Joanna Siwiorek

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Reviewed 17 July 2013 via mobile

The hotel is a little tired, at least my room was, but it was clean, the bed comfy enough and everything worked.

Breakfast was perfectly acceptable, nothing special.

Staff were friendly and helpful.

Parking is c. £5 a day, maybe £6.

Handy location for Seaworks exhibition or Southampton boat show.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Vickie F
Many thanks for your kind review. I am glad my team made your stay enjoyable. kind regards, Joanna Siwiorek