“Modern hotel, amazing value for money shame about parking charge and poor air con.”

Ibis Southampton Centre
Ranked #13 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We stayed here on route to the Isle Of Wight. We come from Yorkshire and decided to stop off here and then get a morning ferry night and refreshed. We had a couple of problems and this is the first time we have had any real problems at an Ibis Hotel.

Firstly the key card did not work but this was quickly fixed by reception. The fire alarm went off at 11.45pm. It went off before we left the room and we weren't sure whether to leave the room or not but so tired we went back to bed. The room was very hot and the air conditioning seemed to make no difference. The thermostat said 25C! We opened the windows in the end which did let a bit of a breeze in.

Despite this the hotel was very modern and clean. The room was very clean and provided all that you need. We had breakfast which was very nice and was a help yourself buffet. Very good value for the price. The bed and room was very comfortable apart from the heat. The hotel was quite busy, I guess from people going on a cruise the next day.

Being disabled we have no choice but to travel by car. The hotel is next to a big retail development and so has barriers and parking charges I guess to stop people parking in the hotel and go shopping. Hotel guests are charge £5 which is quite a charge to add to a budget hotel room price.

Overall if you are looking for a hotel in the West Quay area of Southampton or going on a cruise then this is an ideal budget choice. If you are driving then do budget in the £5 charge for parking. I think this is £5 for your whole stay rather than a night though.

1  Thank WightGoat
Southmanager, Front Office Manager at Ibis Southampton Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We treat all of our comments with the utmost seriousness and we will be investigating this matter accordingly. Our Ibis hotels have an ‘air cooling’ system in place which does differ from air conditioning. This system is partly dependant on the external temperature. I can only apologise if you found it to be insufficiently effective on this occasion.Kind regards, Joanna Siwiorek

There are newer reviews for Ibis Southampton Centre

Reviewed 31 July 2013

The Ibis was chosen for an overnight stay prior to joining a cruise liner the following day. I found it to be an excellent choice and have no hesitation recommending it to others. On arrival we found it easy to locate a parking space and found the overnight charge for parking to be reasonable. The reception staff were very friendly and welcoming . Our room was clean and bright and the bathroom adequate. The hotels location close to the West Quays Centre and various eating establishments was a bonus. Checkout not until midday so fantastic for some extra shopping time. Overall this is a nice place to stay if you are spending time in Southampton .

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the port. The sight of the cruise liners decked out in their bunting is a...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Elaine B

Thanks for your review. I am glad you had a good stay with us. See you on your next trip hopefully! Kind regards, Joanna Siwiorek

Reviewed 28 July 2013

We stayed before joining our cruise and the hotel was very good and handy for a walk and meal out after our arrival at about 8.30pm. We did not have to vacate the room till noon the next day so this suited our plans. Would recommend for anyone joining a cruise in Southampton

1  Thank tommyr35

Thank you very much for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the ibis Southampton.I look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Kind regards, Joanna Siwiorek

Reviewed 25 July 2013

The night before our cruise was pleasant at the Ibis Southampton. The hotel was very clean and the full breakfast, while an extra charge, excellent and a great value! The staff was extremely friendly and helpful in meeting all of our needs and answering all of our questions. It is not luxurious, but met our needs for the night before our cruise.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Wecada61
Southmanager, Front Office Manager at Ibis Southampton Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2013

Thank you for your kind comments and compliments – I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Kind regards, Joanna Siwiorek

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Good value and as expected and would stay again but read on.......I read the reviews after booking but chose the hotel for ease of being close to the weekend activities planned but without spending a fortune. Hotel clean and room while not massive was good for the 2 nights booked. The only downside, what with the unexpected British Summer arriving was the extreme heat at night!!! The aircon was no good at all in fact way too antiquated and inappropriate for the job! The first night we opened the windows wide (thankfully the ties on the windows could be released to open them wide) and being Saturday night and a wedding at the nearby Novatel meant some late noise but good for them. On contacting the reception even though no onsite maintenance on a Sunday it was no problem and whilst we were out someone came and checked on the aircon and also left us a a fan which made a huge difference though aided by again opening the windows. The team on site were in the main very helpful and customer focused but one of the Sunday night bar staff appeared none to happy to have to go to the "cellar" to get more wine - maybe just a bad day and too hot!! Lots of choice nearby; places to eat..TGIF, MacDonalds (if u must!), Frankie & Bennies, West Quay. paces to shop; Tesco Homewear Extra, Brantano, Next, West Quay with all the major retailers and a massive Ikea. Good road link from the M27 also. Novatel and Ibis Budget on same site but preferred the look of the Ibis we booked.

3  Thank peter c

Thank you for your comments, we can assure you that the matter is being looked into and will be dealt with accordingly. Kind regards, Joanna Siwiorek

Reviewed 22 July 2013

We stayed here one night before we got on the cruise ship and it was entirely adequate. The operators were efficient and the room small but clean. I had forgotten to print out some cruise documents and the staff was very helpfull in letting me email them to the hotel and printing them out for me (They don't have a printer you can use yourself).
The location is great for the cruise. There is a TGI Fridays across the street for food and a short walk takes you to a strip mall with a drug store. Around the corner from that is an old, historic section of town with a fabulous pub, The Titanic. Full of memorabilia for Titanic fans. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank hermitogo

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit. I look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Kind regards,Joanna Siwiorek

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Stayed at the Ibis for 1 night prior to cruising to Norway in June. We arrived at the railway station about 11pm after a long train journey from York, got a taxi and arrived at the Ibis about 5 minutes later. Checked in with a pleasant man on reception (very noisy however because the reception is attached to the bar and some young professionals?? had decided to get hammered on their work jolly night away) and went up to the room. First impressions were that the twin beds were a bit too close to each other for comfort (not surprising really considering they are probably just pushed together to make a king bed) and the room was a bit small. The bathroom was a reasonable size and clean. We had a look through the room service menu (some items available 24 hours a day) and decided to order some food because we had been expecting to eat in the buffet car on the train but it didn't have one so we hadn't had a proper meal for hours. You had to order from the bar so down I went. The group of young professionals?? had become quite rowdy by this time and I stood waiting a few minutes at reception till an obviously tired and stressed receptionist asked if I was ok as she was leaving the building. Explained what I wanted and she sort of sighed a bit and went to ring them through on the till (right next to reception). An older lady came over to her and asked what she was doing, the receptionist explained she was putting my order through. The other lady reaction was words to the effect of "you must be joking!!", huffed and puffed a bit and looked extremely displeased. I was very much within earshot of this and felt extremely embarrassed. We hadn't even order a lot - a jacket potato, fruit, soup, a couple of drinks and they really shouldn't have a menu available at that time if they arn't willing to serve it with good grace. The older lady came out with the order and helped me carry it upstairs and was very pleasant to me when I explained why we were having food so late but it still didn't leave a great feeling.
The food was very good and when we settled to go to sleep, the beds were very comfortable and the room was a comfortable temperature.
The other problem that occurred was that the room was inter-linked with the room next door. My mum spotted when we arrived that there was just 1 door and a very flimsy chain on the door separating us from the other room. I convinced her that it wouldn't be a problem..........BIG MISTAKE!! We were woken about 2am (I think) with the occupants from next door returning from the bar (probably the guys we'd seen when we checked in) and continuing to talk between themselves for the next half hour or so. They weren't talking very loud but there was zero noise insulation between the rooms. After a while I called reception and the guy who answered it sounded weary as if he'd heard it all before. About 5 minutes later a piercing ring rang out through our room as he rang the guys next door to tell them to shut up. They did and we went to sleep ok.
Check out wasn't till 12 the next day which was brill. My mum went to breakfast and said it was good. Check out was ok, my mum mentioned the inter-connecting rooms and they said we should've rung them to request a non connecting room but this was our first visit so how should we have known that?
One other minor gripe, on leaving my room with all my bags, I realised I left another bag in the room. I asked a cleaner if she could open the door and she refused, said I needed to go to reception. I understand the security aspect of this but she'd just seen me leave the room so a bit of common sense wouldn't have gone amiss here!
All in all, not the worst hotel I have stayed at by far but it does definitely have issues that need addressing and I would probably try one of the many other hotels that Southampton has to offer when I'm next in the area as I didn't pay a cheap price for this hotel and suspect I can get better for the price.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Love_animals66

Thank you for your feedback. We treat all of our comments with the utmost seriousness and we will be investigating this matter accordingly. Kind regards, Joanna Siwiorek