“A good stay.”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Machynlleth, United Kingdom
“A good stay.”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Great location in Southampton. Under 5 mins walk to the hotel from the Railway Station, National Express Terminal, West Quay Shopping/Leisure and City Centre. Free Bus from outside the Railway Station to the Isle of Wight Ferry terminal if you are going there.

Staff we dealt with were friendly enough. The room itself was very clean and well serviced during our stay. Bed was comfortable and there were no noise issues. We slept well. The hotel could do with renewing some of their towels. We experienced one towel with frayed edges and another towel with a hole in it! Good WiFi compared to most hotels.

There was an adequate choice at breakfast, we stayed three nights and were slightly disappointed that the cooked breakfast offer was identical each day. Maybe they could vary things like the type of egg served (it was scrambled). One morning there were no spoons. When I asked for a spoon I was told to go to the (empty) container which previously contained the spoons! Then had to wait while they washed some spoons.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Southmanager, General Manager at Ibis Southampton Centre, responded to this review, 4 April 2014

Mikhail Myasin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Myself and boyfriend stayed here for one night for convenience for a friends birthday in Southampton. We booked last minute under the assumption that it might be slightly cheaper but found that this was not the case which was disappointing but as we had already made our plans around staying in a hotel, booked anyway. I was pleasantly surprised with the room (319) as it was bright and the bed very comfortable. The bathroom was another plus as was also very bright and even had a bath. The only real downside to our stay was the fact that the air con was not working, it was a very warm night anyway but to have to keep lowering the temperature with no success throughout the night was annoying. We eventually ended up on about 8c with no change. I was going to point this out to reception staff on our check out but the man that served us was clearly a man of very little words and spoke only to take my parking ticket. I am aware most people wouldn't care but I would always like to be asked how my stay was just to show that the staff care even the smallest amount

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the review. We always welcome feedback and my team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope we can be part of your future travel plans.

United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

It's an excellent situation for any cruise related-activity. Beds are comfortable and we had an excellent night's sleep. Helpful and friendly staff at check in. Details of car park charges should feature more prominently on the hotel website.
PS. Whoever designed the curtain system should be strung up by ruflette tape and left to dangle from the rails!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John W
Southmanager, General Manager at Ibis Southampton Centre, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your thoughts on here. I am glad that you enjoyed your visit, and I hope we can welcome you back to our hotel soon.

Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Hotel was OK for the money, fairly budget. Entry to the car park was very difficult for all 3 cars in our party, the machine did not produce an access ticket, when I pressed the relevant button for help, I was questioned like an idiot. I paid for parking at check-in.
Then at the time of departure we could not get out of the car park, I pressed the relevant button & guess what? I was spoke to like I was an idiot & told I had not paid for the parking, When I tried to discuss this I was cut off & the gate opened,
CAR PARK NIGHTMARE, especially as we had a ferry to catch to return home.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving your comments here. The team and I are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay, and we’ve taken note of your comments regarding parking. I am sorry to hear that you had difficulties with our car park, please rest assured that this matter will be addressed.

St John-in-Cornwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We stayed here back in November 2013 for a one night pre-cruise stay. Our usual hotel is the Novotel next door, but their prices were ridiculously expensive, so we gave this one a go.
Reception was very clean and bright, and the checking-in process went smoothly. The room was on the small side but we were only going to be here for one night. We used the bar and found the staff there to be very friendly and welcoming. We did not have breakfast here, choosing instead to pop across to John Lewis where you can get a cooked breakfast for £6.

The hotel was perfectly acceptable for our purpose. I wouldn't want to stay for a lengthy period, but would consider it again in future.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank johnny-glen

Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed in the hotel for one night on a stag do,hotel clean and tidy,beds comfy,rooms nice and clean and are better than a budget hotel,staff were polite,all round good hotel only issue was the parking barrier and useless entry system and when you speak to the reception on intercom they are rude and not helpful

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Southmanager, General Manager at Ibis Southampton Centre, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to tell us about your recent stay, we very much appreciate your feedback and are glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We ahve noted your comments about the car park barrier and entry system and will address these accordingly.