“This is not the Ibis Economy”

Ibis Southampton Centre
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 2 September 2014

The Ibis Hotel Southampton & Ibis Economy Hotel are in the same place. I am writing about the Ibis (not the Ibis economy).
Both hotels are in the same place, make sure you check in to the correct one. We chose the Ibis (not economy) for 3 nts stay in July 2014, straight off the cruise ship Dawn Princess. Lobby area is fresh and modern, rooms have similar decor, sparse or even spartan. We booked via Booking.com so not sure about type of booking this system arranges for you. Our room had wi-fi, no safe, no fridge, no face washers or complimentary bathroom items, not even soap. Luckily we had our own. Towels varied from lovely large the first night to thin and small onwards. Unusual for a hotel I thought! Breakfast was GBP8.00 almost AUS$16 pp, but you don't need to worry as McDonalds (I chose the porridge) and TGI Fridays are directly outside, with Southampton shops and Titanic Museum not far. Also railway system and bus station very close. Reason for choice.

Room Tip: Unsure, I think the rooms maybe all similar being a not expensive one.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank davmar70
Mikhail M, General Manager at Ibis Southampton Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2014

Dear davmar70,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad that you enjoyed your visit and we have noted your comments about towels, please rest assured that this has been addressed. I look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank lakegirl48
Mikhail M, General Manager at Ibis Southampton Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Reviewed 27 August 2014

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Selected Ibis Southampton Centre only two weeks before visiting family over the August Bank Holiday weekend. After shopping around, the hotel matched our budget and general requirements for a short-notice stop-over. The hotel was easy to find, check-in was smooth and efficient, our room and bathroom was clean and tidy. Wifi was readily accessible from our room with reasonable signal strength. There was something for everyone in the well-presented breakfast area and the very friendly kitchen staff deserve a special mention.

If I were to pick a fault, the air conditioning unit in the room did not appear to be working but the slightly cooler weather conditions meant that we were fairly comfortable without it. Had we decided to mention this to the staff, I believe they would have dealt with it well, such was our general experience.

Wouldn't hesitate to recommend or rebook.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Mikhail_Myasin, General Manager at Ibis Southampton Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear wyecliffdom,

Thank you for your review. My team and I appreciate your kind words, and we are glad to have been a part of your visit. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

We have just returned from a three night stay at the Ibis Hotel, Southampton. Very impressed - Clean, basic but functional rooms - Good breakfast - Great location for town centre (and cruise port) Wouldn't hesitate to recommend. The only downside was that we had to pay £6 per night for parking (although this seems to be the 'norm' in most inner-city hotels these days)

Dear LiverpoolBloggy,

Many thanks for the review. We value your feedback and my team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope that we can be part of your future travel plans.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

I needed to speak to the hotel to ask to pay for a booking for guests that we had invited over. The number on the website was incorrect. I spoke to someone in central reservations who explained to me how I could pay for the 3 rooms I had booked on behalf of my guests. Having been given the correct telephone number I called this Ibis only to be told that unless I was a business i could not pre pay for my guests! My credit card used to secure this booking needed authorisation. I then asked what would happen if we were ' no shows'. Your card would be debited this amount without authorisation !
I then tried to use the website in an attempt to contact someone regarding this matter , very very difficult. My guests have not stayed there as yet and I hope that the hotel is of a better standard than their policies and inflexible procedures..

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Dear lc&fw,

I am so sorry that you were disappointed prior to your stay with us, while making the reservation.I appreciate the feedback and rest assured that we take such comments seriously. I would be glad to look into the matter for you, please feel free to contact me on 02380634463 or email me on h1039@accor.com to discuss this further.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

After my shocking experience of sleepless night with your hotel in Cardiff, I can safely say that my stay here was much more comfortable certainly in terms of the room anyway. I was here for a friend's 21st with the main event taking place at Oceana.

As you'd expect, hotel is perfectly located in town centre right next to the shops and a five minute walk from any nightlife. In terms of noise during the nights from the drunks etc there was none of this.

I had a very comfortable night's sleep and preferred the room setup here to that of the room I had in Cardiff. Bathroom also had everything that we needed.

Staff were helpful and kind enough to provide a bucket of ice for the champagne we had got our friend as a gift the only negative feedback I would have is that from ten minutes of arriving to check in. No staff member was at the reception desk resulting in a slow service. This should not be happening for the prices the hotel charge.

I also do not understand why the guests should be having to pay for parking, as guests of the hotel surely this should be included in our room fee? As mentioned, there is a cheaper car park across the road so it is another scam to get more money out of the guests. Hardly what I would call budget. I would like feedback as to why the guests are being charged to park their car?

It was ok, but if I had luxury choice of hotels available, there are others that undoubtedly would provide better value for money.

Room Tip: The higher up you are, the less noise you are likely to experience
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Mikhail_Myasin, General Manager at Ibis Southampton Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear RFCSG10,

Many thanks for your comments. We appreciate all feedback and are glad you enjoyed your
stay. Please rest assured that we have noted your comments. I was sorry to hear of your disappointment with regards to the cost of the car parking at the hotel. Our hotel is one of the few central hotels in Southampton able to provide guests with on site parking. As with all city centre hotels, the hotel does indeed charge for parking, and we believe that the rates offered are competitive. I hope we can welcome you back to our hotel very soon.