“Good value - not so good location”

Ibis Southampton Centre
Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Ridge, New York
“Good value - not so good location”
Reviewed 10 November 2009

We stayed here one night pre-cruise, not a bad hotel, however, unless you're in to shopping at Ikea or a huge mall, there is absolutely nothing scenic, picked this hotel as it got good reviews, however, it states close to the harbor, this may be true by taxi, but not in walking distance. We prefer to sightsee, better choice may have been a hotel right at the harbor, but it served it's purpose. Luckily it was only one night. For that matter, the Etap would have been a better value, directly across the street.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank crazyfornaples

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Coastal South Carolina, South Carolina
Reviewed 8 October 2009

The hotel was very basic. A number of us who were departing on a cruise booked the hotel. You have to ask to borrow one of the "few" hairdryers they keep behind the desk. There is no shampoo or condition available, and the one bar of soap provided is the same size as a quarter. It was inexpensive, but the Ibis website made me believe it would be nicer. They also recommend you use the pay phone because local calls from the room are not cheap.

I suggest you skip the breakfast. It seemed like a good deal, but you could go to McDonald's and use the free wi-fi at the same time.

Pros-- McDonald's right near it with free wi-fi. Large mall and grocery store walking distance-- where you can buy the shampoo and things you will need. The location is really nice, and you can walk to many things including IKEA, restaurants, etc.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
Texas
Reviewed 26 September 2009

Stayed here the night of September 4th, prior to a cruise

Good:

The location is excellent, very near the port terminals and within easy walking distance of the West Quay shopping center where there is a food court. There is also a MacDonald’s and TGI Friday adjacent to the hotel. There is a Tesco store very close where you can buy snacks and drinks. The hotel staff was very friendly, they furnished a map for getting around and pointed out locations for us. There is a taxi hotline in the hotel for arranging a car. The hotel is also within walking distance of the National Express bus station, taxis are available there also. Price was 49 lbs for one night. They had a cold breakfast, we skipped that in favor of MacDonald’s next door. There was an electric kettle in the room with instant coffee/tea.

Bad - small rooms, bed very hard, only two very thin pillows and would not accommodate our request for two additional pillows. The soap in the bath barely good for one person for a shower. Two small bath towels, no face towels or washcloths so only wet bath towels to use in the morning. No appliances of any kind in the room, (hair dryer, minifridge, etc). AC did not cool the room very well, others complaining about this but the staff did not help. Elevators very small but adequate.

Summary:

If you want good value and location, this hotel would be a good choice. There is a Novotel and Etap right next door that may offer better quality. We would not stay here again but would stay in the same location in a higher quality hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
north east scotland
Reviewed 26 September 2009

It is a year since I wrote a review on this hotel and during this period I have stayed in the hotel many time for business.

The hotel is located a few minutes away from the railway station , the cruise terminal and the west quay shopping centre. It is a the functional end of the accor range and provides basic comforts at a reasonable price. Comfortable bed , en-suite and a continental style breakfast. The customers appear to be a mixture of business , contractors and those joining or leaving cruise ships. The bar can be crowded - mainly if there is football on the television and folk from the Etap close by come to watch.

The staff are the main plus point - they are all helpful and professional in what they do . The resturant is fine for a quick bite to eat but with so many eateries close by you may wish to explore. I expect to return for many times during the next twelve months.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank yandinazetland
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 17 September 2009

We booked this hotel because it was near the cruise ship docks. Somehow we had the impression that it was easy walking distance to the docks, but we learned that is not the case, though it was walking distance from the National Express Station.

While the hotel was clean, it had bare essentials--sheets, 2 towels, a tiny soap, no hair dryer. We chose to pay for the buffet breakfast, because we felt that we would not have time to search for a restaurant before boarding the ship. The "buffet" was very limited, though we had read in reviews that it was a good choice.

Overall, we were disappointed in this hotel, and would not choose Ibis again. L. Cannon, Atlanta, Ga.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank virginialyn

Travellers are raving about these Southampton hotels

Barnstaple, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2009

If I'm looking for a place just to sleep and looking to do it on the cheap, then usually prefer Premier Inn but sometimes stay Travelodge but they were fully booked. I stayed in this hotel for one night in early August and thought that for a budget hotel, the price was anything but budget yet the overall standard was well below that of even the worst Travelodge I stayed in.

My only previous experience of Ibis was staying in a few of their French hotels, all of which were far superior to this hotel. The public spaces are dated, the corridors dated and carpet very thin, the rooms truly are tiny (Travelodgers beware, much smaller than their average size rooms). The bathroom looked very dated for a hotel and needs a refurb - or at least change the rusty taps. The worst thing though was that the walls were paper thin. There was a locked interconnecting door but I could still make out EVERY word said in the next room and on the other side could hear the TV and movement in there as well as the toilet flushing in the room above.

What was the icing on the cake though was that there is also an Etap and Novotel around a car park, and the Novotel had a wedding going on until well past 1am. We weren't advised of this when booking or on check-in and even with the window firmly shut the noise was seriously disruptive and I am a very deep sleeper and normally go off as soon as my head hits the pillow.

I booked online so expected that I would have paid already when checking out. It appeared I hadn't which I thought was odd and then had to wait behind another couple checking out and then do so myself. This all took about 10 minutes. I was then overcharged as I took out the multimedia package but was charged individually. Considering I was now running late that morning I really didn't have the time or inclination to argue. In all, it cost £80 for a night which is well above what I expect to pay at PI or TL for vastly superior rooms and a better night's sleep. So a very budget hotel for a not very budget price - pity there isn't a Village Hotel or Ramada Encore in Southampton, they are cheaper and much much better.

The good points were the bed was pretty comfortable, linen was clean and furniture and storage adequate for one night. The TV was a newish flat screen (necessary as you couldn't swing a cat in the room so no idea where a glass screen one would have gone before) although the keyboard for using the internet (in particular the mouse function) was rather cumbersom.

On my return home, I had an email asking to reply to a satisfaction questionnaire which I did and said all the same points. I got an email from the assistant manager at the hotel apologising, which I thought was a pleasantly suprising reaction. However, the email was generic to the point of being able to be used whatever the comments and no effort was made to reply to any point I put in there - if I took the time to give them my feedback I would expect someone to take the time to answer it. Perhaps it would be better not replying from the hotel and just enabling the customer to vote with their feet as I am now very unlikely to return to an Ibis, or certainly not that one.

Like the previous reviewer, location is the best feature and the room overall was pretty clean. I have a feeling that it is more down to the staff trying to do their best in a hotel which is now outdated and needs a significant refurb to bring it up to the standard of their rivals who have invested significantly and the mid market operators who are now offering much better value rates.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
Southmanager, Manager at Ibis Southampton Centre, responded to this review, 28 August 2009
Thank you for further elaborating on your feedback of your stay. I am delighted that you have highlighted the cleanliness & comfort of our bedrooms in your review. Modernisation of the décor of the hotel is expected soon and we do try to limit as much external noise as we can; the hotel does have double insulated windows in the bedrooms and when fully shut should minimise any disturbance. Only 6 of our bedrooms can be made into interconnecting rooms so the vast majority do not have these doors which link bedrooms. Thank you again for staying with us and I do hope that you will consider returning in the future.
LJUBLJANA
Reviewed 14 August 2009

Me and my boyfriend were taking a pre-inaugaration cruise on Celebrity Equinox in July 09 and we needed the hotel close to Harbour and since I have already stayed in Ibis before, I knew it should be more or less ok. The hotel has a great position, we could see the ship just looking over the bedroom window. Just great! Nearby there is a possibility for some lunch, dinner or a snack - Friday's, just a step away, great food and Mc'donalds also a step away. We were also walking distance to the big shopping center and old center. The staff were great, they also store our luggage the last day when we departed the ship and went shopping and siteseing, even though we didn't stay at the hotel that night.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business