“Good service but pricy”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Calgary, Canada
“Good service but pricy”
Reviewed 18 July 2012 via mobile

Nice hotel, good size room, in a boring area, nothing special, friendly staff, nice pool but way overpriced for what it is. We never hesitated on the price (109 pound without breakfast+ 5 pounds parking) because we know Novotel are always clean and for us, this is factor #1; that was still spotless but way to expensive. In case of emergency, go for it but I'm sure you cab find a better value.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Glenn_Findlay, General Manager at Novotel Southampton, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Thank you for posting your thoughts on here, we really value your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back at Novotel Southampton.
Glenn Findlay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We travelled to Southampton by train for an overnight stay in preparation for going on a cruise. The hotel is in an excellent location - you can see it from the station and it is a short and easy walk. We only had 2 large suitcases to pull but if you had more luggage you might need to take a cab.

We have stayed at the hotel before and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. The staff particularly are friendly, courteous and nothing has been too much trouble for them in our experience.

I would describe the hotel as somewhat minimalist - in keeping with the Novotel brand style - but pleasant and very clean.

Rooms are good with separate bathroom / WC. Only shortfall was it was sparse on toiletries. I don't even remember there being a shower cap but I feel sure that had a requested additional supplies I would have got them without any problem at all.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Thank you for your very kind words. They are very much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourselves at Novotel Southampton. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Glenn Findlay General Manager
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I booked this hotel as I had to pick my parents up when they came back from a cruise. I have stayed in some really nice Novotels over the years but this was the worst one I have stayed in. I paid £120 for a superior room. I wasn't bothered about paying £20 for the breakfast but was extremely miffed to have to £20 to park the car. The room was about the same size as a Premier Inn but the bathroom was tiny. A curled up hobbit could probably just about get submerged in the bath if he was small! The room included free broadband. Now you would assume that this would be wireless but no it's a wired connection by the desk. I rang the reception to be told that if you want wifi you have to pay through Orange. How daft is that. The room was not very clean and there was a huge falls eyelash on the bed side table that creeped me out. Too expensive and I wouldn't stay here again that's for sure.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Barfro
Glenn_Findlay, General Manager at Novotel Southampton, responded to this review, 17 July 2012
Thank you for your comments. I was most disappointed to read your comments and I can assure you I will be looking into this personally regarding the cleanliness of you room. Our superior room have both a separate shower and bath and also comes with complimentary wired broadband solution. We also have a Apple Mac available in reception for use if you need to access the internet. Our charge for residents to use our carpark is £5.00 per night. Please do contact me on glenn.findlay@accor.com if you wish to discuss further

Reviewed 12 July 2012

This is a good Novotel with a decent swimming pool, which is the only benefit really from the Ibis just next door. The three Accor hotels share a common parking (£££). NO FREE WIFI. One can surf free of charge on the Apple computer at the lobby, but you will have to kill everybody in the cue in front of you if you want to use the computer before three in the morning. The restaurant is too chichi and too expensive. Just go to the T.G.I. Friday's at the entrance of the parking lot.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Novotel Southampton and have noted your comments regarding our complimentary Apple in the lobby. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2012 via mobile

I spend over 150+ nights in hotels each year on business......This has to be the worst hotel I've ever stayed in....... Let's start with the bed........ It's a camp bed really ...... Absolute rubbish..... A slatted base with a 100mm thick "cheap" thin mattress and this was a "Superior Room"....... called the duty manager who told me that all of the beds were like it. Something to do with ease of housekeeping....... What a ridiculous statement...... I've stayed in many Cheap hotels on my travels..... Some of them less than £20 per night in China..... But never ever with such an uncomfortable bed...

To say that this Novotel is up market from Accor to the Ibis and Etap is a joke.....unless your expected to sleep on the floor in the other less expensive hotels (on the same site)........

Thoroughly disappointed......will never stay at an Accor hotel again.......

Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank FWLook
Glenn_Findlay, General Manager at Novotel Southampton, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts here on Trip advisor and for contacting me directly. Our beds do have a memory foam mattress on a slatted base. Our bases do raise up to allow our Housekeeping team to change the beds at a more comfortable height. Again thank you for your feedback and I do hope that you will consider Novotel Southampton in the future.
New Zealand
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Only about 2 minutes from the railway station.Easy access to the main foyer.Staff very helpful and while we were there a good deal on internet and TV was available. Our room had plenty of space and the bathroom very clean.The hotel is within easy walking distance of food outlets as is the town itself. There was also a lovely indoor pool and gym available.We had a lovely buffet breakfast with a great variety on offer . This hotel is ideally situated for those about to take a cruise also. We could see our ship from the hotel window which added to the excitement! Would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Novotel Southampton, responded to this review, 12 July 2012
Thank you for your very kind words. They are very much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourselves at Novotel Southampton. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.