“Best breakfast in town?”

Novotel Southampton
Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 14 January 2013

Hotel & staff very good but cooked breakfast awful. It had probably been stood for over an hour since being cooked & everything was hard. Eggs like rubber, bacon chewy, beans going dry, hash browns tasteless, sausages hard & not tasty.. The staff were very apologetic when I complained & promised to rectify in the future.
Apart from that, would be happy to stay here again (but go to Wetherspoons for breakfast!).

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank TingleyLad
Glenn_Findlay, General Manager at Novotel Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel, I was most disappointed to read your comments regarding our breakfast I have shared your comments with our Food and Beverage team and ensuring that our Breakfast Buffett is regularly replenished to ensure you our guests are receiving the good quality breakfast Novotel s are known for. We do hope to see you again.

Reviewed 11 January 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights when I was in Southampton on business (which I go to alot and have tried alot of the other hotels) - the staff were very helpful, the bar / restaurant were great - I ate here for the two nights and was delighted with both meals... The rooms are big - the one I stayed in had a seperate toilet / shower room but European hotel & I've stayed in plenty before so it was fine.
I loved the swimming pool / gym area - it was such a treat to go to a hotel in Southampton that has facilities like this (alot don't). I took full advantage.
The only bad thing was my pillow - so hard I found it difficult to sleep (but saying that, they may suit some people).
The location is fine for Southampton, near West Quay etc. but I drove so it wouldn't have mattered (you have to pay for parking by the way...).
I would stay here again if I saw a nice deal coming up.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel and for your kind words which I will be sharing with the team here at Novotel Southampton. We do have alternative pillows available in our wardrobes which you may find more to your comfort. Again thank you very much for your review and we are looking forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 6 January 2013

We have just returned from a weekend in Southampton where we had the misfortune to stay at the Novotel. No way on earth is that a four star hotel! The toilet in our room took almost 5 minutes between flushes to fill not good when her s a family in the room that includes a teenager there was 18 inches of space between the bed and the wall which meant. You had to either take turns walking past the bed or roll over the bed to get to the other side! We stayed Friday and Saturday night - when we went to bed on Saturday the beds hadn't been made properly I had to remake them to ensure that the sheets were flat. At breakfast on Saturday morning I requested a poached egg instead of fried or scrambled - after waiting over 10 minutes I got a totally inedible vinegar soaked offering! We were so disappointed with the quality of the hotel and the food we skipped breakfast this morning and ate elsewhere . Also on check in we were not offered morning papers neither were we informed where or what time breakfast was served. We went in the pool to relax after our journey to find the sauna had been turned off (this was at 8.30pm and the pool area is open until 10pm) also the changing rooms were cold. I may certainly would not return to the Novotel in a hurry. I have stayed in cheaper hotels than this and received much better service!

Room Tip: Don't waste your money here go to another hotel!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank heather a
Glenn_Findlay, General Manager at Novotel Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and contacting me directly regarding your recent stay with us. I am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay at Novotel Southampton. Our Sauna is activated by a switch near to the entrance; this does take 15 minutes to come to temperature and my apologies that our team did not inform you of this when you went to use these facilities. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating the matter and will reply to you directly.

Reviewed 4 January 2013

When I was looking for a nice place to stay for a quick visit to Southampton, I stumbled over the very nicely presented images of the hotel. It looked so modern and avant-garde. But careful: pictures are a great marketing tool! The lobby is indeed modern and quite pretty, but the rooms are very tiny, the bathrooms are wet cells and the beds have cheap squeaky mattresses.
Although the staff was very friendly and welcoming, the overall experience is none I would want to repeat.

Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank AKKCDO

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I have noted your comments regarding our pictures; I can assure you they are of this hotel. Our Mattresses are memory foam mattresses on a wooden and Metal Frame, my apologies if you did not find this to your expectations and I do hope this you will consider staying with us should you return to Southampton.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Glenn_Findlay, General Manager at Novotel Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2013

Reviewed 2 January 2013

I just spent one night at Novotel Southampton during a short trip to the city.

As I've come to expect from the Novotel brand, the hotel was clean and modern. Check-in was a breeze and all the staff I encountered were helpful and pleasant.

My room had everything I needed for an overnight stay. Bed was very comfy. The only thing I would mention is that the temperature inside the room got quite hot throughout the later part of the evening, and I then turned down the thermostat (although I was unsure it had much of an effect.) Later on I slept well enough so not a major issue all things considered.

I had dinner at the bar as a treat, and the food was lovely. Steak cooked just as I liked it and the starter of squid was very tasty. Breakfast the next morning had the usual continental/cooked options. Again staff were attentive and cleared plates etc. from the table as I'd finished with them.

The location of the hotel was a big plus for me - close to West Quay, IKEA and the harbour, which were all things I had on my itinerary to visit.

Overall I had a pleasant stay and, if I can get a good deal, may stay again next time I'm in Southampton in a couple of months' time.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank V M

Thank you for your very kind words. They are very much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourself at Novotel Southampton. We do hope we can be a part of your next stay at Novotel Southampton when you return.

Reviewed 2 January 2013

We stopped here for a night before embarking on a cruise.

The hotel is superb, the rooms are lovely and the bed was deliciously comfortable. The bathroom was very well equipped and spotless although, as usual, the mirror was a little far away from the front of the the basin top and the lighting not very conducive for makeup application.

The buffet breakfast was excellent, varied and delicous. Unfortunately we had eaten dinner at home before checking in so could not experience their interesting dinner menu.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Novotel Southampton. We have noted your comment regarding the Bathroom Mirror and Lighting and we look forward to your next visit. Kind Regards