“Warm and cosy”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Warm and cosy”
Reviewed 23 January 2013

The reception was warm and welcoming. The very pleasant young man could not have been more helpful. The room was light and airy, well stocked and all equipment worked well.
Very nice breakfast and dining room staff kept everything stocked up and fresh.
Evening staff up to same good standard. Ideal if you are using the train and Just a short 10 min walk to Isle of Wight ferry.

Well positioned for city and would recommend this Novotel to anyone.

Room Tip: High rooms (5th Floor) have a good view if the city.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Noel F
Glenn_Findlay, General Manager at Novotel Southampton, responded to this review, 29 January 2013
Thank you for your kind words, I have passed them onto the team who are grateful. I am glad you enjoyed our breakfast offering and do hope to see you again here at Novotel Southampton.
Glenn Findlay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2013

This is the third time my family and I have stayed at this particular Novotel. It,s conveniently situated close to the railway station and is only a short walk (10 mins or so) from some good shops and restaurants. In fact Ikea is right on its door step. The hotel itself is everything you would expect from Novotel. It is clean bright and modern with comfortable large rooms with comfy beds and a sofa bed for children. This one has a small pool and Gym area which is why we like it so much. Our last visit was over new year and was enjoyed very much. We did not eat in the reastaurant this time round but opted for room service. The full menu is available up till 10pm. The food was good quality and delivered by a smiling waiter promptly. As it was new year some items were missing from the menu but we had no trouble finding alternatives. Breakfast is pricy (£13-50) but there is a good selection of hot and cold items on offer. Children eat free and my son particularly likes the sausages and chocholate croisants. For the best value book on line at the accor website and look out for special deals especially ones that include breakfast as they can be great value. We have stayed at other hotels in this chain and I can honestly say that this is one of the nicest.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to be of a similar standard.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Glenn_Findlay, General Manager at Novotel Southampton, responded to this review, 21 January 2013
It is great to receive you comments here on tripadvisor, We do enjoy families staying with us and are most happy that your son enjoys the breakfast here (I am also a fan of the Chocolate croissants). We are glad you have enjoyed your three stays with us and we are looking forward to seeing you again soon at Novotel Southampton.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2013

Have never stayed here, but have been here for several business conferences and have always found the catering to be good. Most recently it was a set two course sit-down lunch - miraculously about 120 of us all seemed to be served at the same time. Food was good and hot (very hot plates!) and service very efficient. Water replensihed automatically and specific diets catered for. Exactly what was needed with a full agenda to get through. Parking facilities good too.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for writing your review, Myself and our conference team are overjoyed that you enjoyed you conference here at Novotel Southampton, we pride ourselves on our Conferencing delivery and to read your comments on here is great. Thank you again and we look forward to hosting you here again in the future.
Leeds, England
Reviewed 14 January 2013

Hotel & staff very good but cooked breakfast awful. It had probably been stood for over an hour since being cooked & everything was hard. Eggs like rubber, bacon chewy, beans going dry, hash browns tasteless, sausages hard & not tasty.. The staff were very apologetic when I complained & promised to rectify in the future.
Apart from that, would be happy to stay here again (but go to Wetherspoons for breakfast!).

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank TingleyLad
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel, I was most disappointed to read your comments regarding our breakfast I have shared your comments with our Food and Beverage team and ensuring that our Breakfast Buffett is regularly replenished to ensure you our guests are receiving the good quality breakfast Novotel s are known for. We do hope to see you again.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 11 January 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights when I was in Southampton on business (which I go to alot and have tried alot of the other hotels) - the staff were very helpful, the bar / restaurant were great - I ate here for the two nights and was delighted with both meals... The rooms are big - the one I stayed in had a seperate toilet / shower room but European hotel & I've stayed in plenty before so it was fine.
I loved the swimming pool / gym area - it was such a treat to go to a hotel in Southampton that has facilities like this (alot don't). I took full advantage.
The only bad thing was my pillow - so hard I found it difficult to sleep (but saying that, they may suit some people).
The location is fine for Southampton, near West Quay etc. but I drove so it wouldn't have mattered (you have to pay for parking by the way...).
I would stay here again if I saw a nice deal coming up.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel and for your kind words which I will be sharing with the team here at Novotel Southampton. We do have alternative pillows available in our wardrobes which you may find more to your comfort. Again thank you very much for your review and we are looking forward to seeing you again in the future.
South Shields, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2013

We have just returned from a weekend in Southampton where we had the misfortune to stay at the Novotel. No way on earth is that a four star hotel! The toilet in our room took almost 5 minutes between flushes to fill not good when her s a family in the room that includes a teenager there was 18 inches of space between the bed and the wall which meant. You had to either take turns walking past the bed or roll over the bed to get to the other side! We stayed Friday and Saturday night - when we went to bed on Saturday the beds hadn't been made properly I had to remake them to ensure that the sheets were flat. At breakfast on Saturday morning I requested a poached egg instead of fried or scrambled - after waiting over 10 minutes I got a totally inedible vinegar soaked offering! We were so disappointed with the quality of the hotel and the food we skipped breakfast this morning and ate elsewhere . Also on check in we were not offered morning papers neither were we informed where or what time breakfast was served. We went in the pool to relax after our journey to find the sauna had been turned off (this was at 8.30pm and the pool area is open until 10pm) also the changing rooms were cold. I may certainly would not return to the Novotel in a hurry. I have stayed in cheaper hotels than this and received much better service!

Room Tip: Don't waste your money here go to another hotel!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank heather a
Glenn_Findlay, General Manager at Novotel Southampton, responded to this review, 7 January 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and contacting me directly regarding your recent stay with us. I am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay at Novotel Southampton. Our Sauna is activated by a switch near to the entrance; this does take 15 minutes to come to temperature and my apologies that our team did not inform you of this when you went to use these facilities. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating the matter and will reply to you directly.
Faro, Portugal
Reviewed 4 January 2013 via mobile

When I was looking for a nice place to stay for a quick visit to Southampton, I stumbled over the very nicely presented images of the hotel. It looked so modern and avant-garde. But careful: pictures are a great marketing tool! The lobby is indeed modern and quite pretty, but the rooms are very tiny, the bathrooms are wet cells and the beds have cheap squeaky mattresses.
Although the staff was very friendly and welcoming, the overall experience is none I would want to repeat.

Stayed October 2012
2 Thank AKKCDO
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I have noted your comments regarding our pictures; I can assure you they are of this hotel. Our Mattresses are memory foam mattresses on a wooden and Metal Frame, my apologies if you did not find this to your expectations and I do hope this you will consider staying with us should you return to Southampton.