“Need a family friendly stay in Southampton?... this could be ideal”

Novotel Southampton
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
GreenLeadersBronze level
London
“Need a family friendly stay in Southampton?... this could be ideal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2013

I arrived at this hotel with my fiance and our three children (ages 5-13), to find a light airy and modern lobby.
Reception staff were polite, friendly, and helpful.
Also situated in the lobby was a Xbox 360 live, which entertained the kids as we checked in!!
The hotel is situated close to the shopping centre, a Mcdonalds, and TGI Fridays are situated within a short walking distance from the hotel.
We had two standard rooms with an interconnecting door, the rooms were clean, bright and had a good array of complimentary shower gels, shampoo etc.
Tea and coffe were provided, with a good selection of beverages.
The children felt the matresses on the sofa beds were very comfortable any they enjoyed a good nights sleep.
The breakfast was buffet style and very well presented in a clean and bright dining area, staff were helpful and the food was excellent.
The large car park is situated outside the hotel and on checking with reception staff found that the charge is £5 a day for hotel residents.
As a family we used the spa, the swimming pool was warm, though smaller than appears on Novotel website, the gym is situated overlooking the swimming pool and had limited cardiovascular machines - one of each bike, cross trainer etc, though there was a good selection of free weights.

If you are looking for a clean, comfortable, family stay close to the centre of Southampton this is definitely worth a look.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sussex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2013

This is an excellent modern hotel but the key advantage for us was its location. It is within easy walking distance of the railway station and the town centre and only a short taxi ride away from the cruise terminals.
You can see the hotel from the station but there are a few steps to climb and I would not like to tackle the walk without wheels on my case. In spite of the central location the room was very quiet and the buffet breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BridgerSussex
Glenn_Findlay, General Manager at Novotel Southampton, responded to this review, 22 February 2013
Thank for your review, we are glad you enjoyed our location and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

Arrived on business at the hotel and was pleasantly surprised by the good location as I hadn’t stayed in the centre of Southampton before. I am on a short term assignment which means I needed to find a hotel which I could call home for a few months and this looked the best on paper.

Reception area looks like it has been newly refurbished and was modern and airy however this isn’t a good feature to have if your rooms haven’t been refurbished for a long time. I got into my room, unpacked and checked the facilities out and everything was clean and in good working order which was a good start. The rooms are way out of date though and this lets the hotel down. Toilet is separate to the bathroom and is very small and not easy to get in and close the door. The decor is quite poor as it is old style plastering which may have been the in thing in the late 80’s however I wasn’t born in that era so I couldn’t possibly comment. Apart from the decor and style of the room my only other negative in the room was the fact the iron had sprayed brown water onto my clean white shirt. This could have been avoided if the cleaners checked the iron for stagnant water. Thankfully they guy at reception was greta and got my shirt cleaned and pressed compliments of the hotel.

I visited the gym on my first night, a big part of me staying was the gym facilities and they are below average at best. I didn’t expect a whole fitness centre and Olympic sized pool but the free weights only go up to 20kg and the gym is very small and with the addition of a personal trainer training his clients in there I decided to join an external gym for my stay which has proved a good decision. The sauna isn’t very good either, so don’t expect much from that.

Breakfast is always perfect. Staff are quality and always very helpful. Only bad thing was 1 morning they clearly ran out of my favourite Cumberland sausages and must have had to buy some “emergency” sausages one morning.

Overall I have made this my hotel of choice in the centre of Southampton due to location and the fact I can do my morning cardio otherwise I would have chosen a premier inn as the rooms are nicer there. Not great value if you are travelling for leisure and they charge £5 a day to park your car.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank DohaExpat
Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts here. I am glad you enjoy your stays with us and find our team quality. Our hotel was opened in 1990 and does have rooms with Artex on the walls, we currently have a program to redecorate these rooms with a smooth finish to the walls. Thank you for feedback and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013

I stayed for a weekend business meeting. The hotel is a little tricky to drive up to and doesn't look terribly attractive on the outside - however the inside will not fail to impress; The lobby is spacious, clean and welcoming. All the staff were quite exceptionally open, helpful, polite and efficient - they weren't just pretending to appear that way. The restaurant meals were competent and reasonably priced. The rooms were very clean and without frills, slightly small but very well appointed. The spa - heated pool and sauna were spotless and modern; the gym equipment was comprehensive and tidy.
I'd recommend this hotel to my friends and look forward to a repeat visit.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms will get the morning sun.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Many thanks for your review. I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us and I have shared your kind words with the team here. It was great to read your comments and we all look forward to welcoming you back to Novotel Southampton.
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2013 via mobile

Friendly staff, good food, clean and tidy room, comfortable beds...did just the job! My son was visiting the medical department at the university which was just 10 mins away.
We had food from the bar which was very tasty and not excessively priced. Breakfast was extra - we didn't bother as we were pushed for time.
We would recommend to others and would stay again :)

Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Thanks for taking the time to write your thoughts here on Tripadvisor. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future.
Elgin, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2013

Excellent hotel, pool facilities very clean and kids enjoyed, rooms well laid out. Only down side was we needed 2 rooms for 5 of us, 2 adults 3 kids. plenty of choice for breakfast. Would definitely stay again. Walking distance to IKEA!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Thanks for your review. We welcome you feedback and we are looking forward to seeing you again soon.
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2013 via mobile

I stayed in an executive room for 2 nights and the conference I was attending was also held in the hotel. It is well situated for the railway station which is a 2 minute walk away. My room was pleasant with a good area for working. The bed was comfortable, although the pillows weren't that great but that's probably a personal preference. The shower and toiletries were of a good quality and I appreciated having a robe and slippers as part of the executive room price. A Nespresso machine was also included although there were one two choices of coffee capsule provided. That's me being fussy, I would have liked a hot chocolate option as well.

The room itself was very quiet at night which I was surprised at as it looked over Southampton central police station. I didn't hear any traffic noise at all though so the glazing is obviously very good. I did find the room to be very hot. There was no air con, just a temperature thermostat. I had it turned off completely and I still woke up too hot in the night. I normally feel the cold so it must have been warm in there if I noticed it.

Breakfast was good. I had it in my room one morning when it was delivered promptly and was hot. There was a nice selection at the buffet in the restaurant. One of the chefs noticed I was pregnant and kindly told me that the scrambled eggs were made with pasteurised eggs which was appreciated. I also ate lunch at the hotel as part of the conference, sandwiches one day and a hot buffet the next, all of which was of a good quality.

The disappointment for me was the Internet access. Despite my room being advertised as having free broadband that meant you had to have a laptop to connect to a cable as opposed to an ipad. I would have had to pay for wi-Fi, and it would have been £10 a day which I feel is very expensive. The Internet access I was supposed to be able to access through my tv wasn't working. Whilst attending the conference there was no free wi-Fi in the conference room either. In 2013 my view is that free wi-Fi should be standard as part of executive rooms and conference facilities.

Having said that the staff were all very pleasant and I would stay here again.

Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Saspip
Many thanks for taking the time to review our Hotel. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and conference with us and that our team advised you regarding your breakfast options. Thank you for your feedback regarding our Internet options, this has been taking on board and we are working on a solution which will resolve this. Thank you again and we do look forward to seeing you again in the near future.