“Best hotel stay in southampton”

Novotel Southampton
Ranked #10 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

Fast friendly check in..fantastic room overlooking the city just ignore the carpark.

In the evening choose to dine in..friendly polite bar staff ate chef special on the staff recommedation and wow it was delisious.

Breakfast was good..all you could want to set you up for the day. I wish I could wake up here everyday staff so nice and refreshing for that time in the morning.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Glenn_Findlay, General Manager at Novotel Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Thank you for your kind words regarding our team. We are running a special Dish on a Tuesday and it has been a real success with our new and regular guests and the Chefs are thrilled you have taken the time to mention your satisfaction here on tripadvisor. Again thank you for your review and we are all looking forward to seeing you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Novotel Southampton

Reviewed 19 February 2014

I stayed here recently for an overnight before a business meeting the next day. I really couldn't fault the welcome, the reception staff were very friendly, and genuine!

Parking is easy, and yes they charge for it, but wouldn't most hotels in a city location such as this? The hotel is conveniently located right next to a retail park, so if you get bored, or fancy something to eat out of the hotel, it's all within walking distance.

The hotel lobby has a nice feel and it didn't seem over crowded like some other hotels in the area. It's very modern and clean.

My room was a standard double with sofa bed, very comfortable, spacious, good TV, nice bedding and super bathroom. My only negative was the toilet being separate from the bathroom itself, which others have also mentioned. This does seem a little odd now, and was rather old fashioned, but other than that, all good.

The room had an ironing board as standard (nice touch), tea making facilities, and a really good desk area that you could actually work on! The sofa bed was also comfy enough to sit and watch TV.

Breakfast in the room the next morning was spot on, very generous portions and a quick call before it arrived to say it was on its way. Again, nice touch.

I won't hesitate to use this hotel again in the future.

1  Thank 330jet

It is always great to read feedback here on tripadvisor and I would like to thank you for taking the time to post you thoughts here. I have shared your kind words with the team here and they are thrilled they helped make you stay in Southampton enjoyable. We do hope to see you again soon and again thank you very much for your review.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

A quick overnight stay in Southampton - Novotel offers a City centre location and has been upgraded in recent times. Check in staff are attentive and make contact again shortly after taking occupancy of the room to check that everything was okay. We were specifically informed that there was a wedding taking place but that the noise would cease at 11pm and we were given a room least likely to be affected - all good customer service.

My only complaint is also my pet hate - a toilet that is separate from the bathroom that doesn't have a sink in it. Just not right!

Comfortable beds, accurate heat control and squeaky clean public areas for less that £50 a night. What's not to like?

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LJGscotia
Glenn_Findlay, General Manager at Novotel Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your thoughts here on Tripadvisor, We are happy to read that you enjoyed you stay here at the 4 star Novotel Southampton and have noted your comments regarding our bathroom configuration. We hope to see you again soon and again thank you very much for your review.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Stayed here for one night on Valentine's Day. Stayed in a superior room.

Spacious room with a queen bed, many TV channels, free wifi, air conditioning, extra pillows if we wanted them, very close to the train station from which the free city link (every 15 mins) connects you to the town centre and the ferry terminal. Breakfast was amazing, so much to choose from. Staff were very friendly, check-in and check-out were both very quick and easy. Hotel itself is very modern and clean. Had a drink at the bar, which was very reasonably priced and had every spirit you could think of and also a decent cocktail list.

Only downside was that the bath was a bit small and the walls are a bit thin so you could hear people coming in late at night. As it is by a main road there was also traffic noise as we like to sleep with the window open.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lucy H

Many thanks for your kind words. We are glad to read you had an enjoyable Valentines stay and our team were very friendly. We hope to see you again in the near future and thank you again for posting your thoughts here on tripadvisor

Reviewed 12 February 2014

No complaints about this hotel, everything went smoothly, my room and breakfasts were very good.

The Novotel is very close to the station if you're arriving by train, though the location is not picturesque. If you've booked without breakfast and don't mind McDonalds there's one right next door!

The only reason for not giving 5 stars is the light in the toilet didn't seem to work, though it hardly inconvenienced me.

1  Thank themeone

Thank for your review. We are glad you enjoyed you stay with us and my apologies that the light was not functioning in your toilet. We never like to let our guest down and there is always someone available to ensure your stay is up to your expectations. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Check in was east and the check in girl gave me a room upgrade to an exec room. Awlays a good start!

After getting into my hge rom and checking out the huge comfortable bed my phone rang and it was reception asking if the room was ok. Obviously I said yes. Either this is a really nice touch for the hotel to do, or my new shirt really rocked the world of the check in girl!

Positives
-Location - Right in the centre near the newest shopping centre and loads of food choices around
-Rooms - Huge, good desk space to do some work
-Bed - Comfy as owt
-Breakfast. Good poached egg. Good selection of fruit and nice yogurts with infibifidus difidus bacerium in them. (The good bacteria)

Negatives
-Pool and gym is tiny for a hotel this size, also their PT trainer is VERY LOUD, chill out mate and just let me do my thing.
-Rooms were hot as no aircon and hard to open window. In fairness I rang reception for a fan and it was there wihin a minute. (Same girl BTW, think my shirt went down a storm)

2  Thank Basurq

Thank you for your entertaining review on our hotel, we have noted your comments and I will request that our PT speaks quieter in the future. Unfortunately it was not your shirt but the fact our team are dedicated to ensuring all of our guests have a great stay with us! We would really welcome the opportunity to see you here again in the future.
Many thanks

Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

We arrived only to find no spaces in the pay for parking carpark, whih if £5 per day if paid for in hotel lobby and £20 per day without. The pool is very very small, do not choose this hotel if the pool is your reason for staying. The location is great, the staff are friendly and the beds are comfortable and the rooms quiet. But £80 for a night seems high considering the parking issue we had. I would like to rate it 3.5 but settled on 3. I think I would stay in the Ibis budget if I stayed here again as I can't justify the big difference in cost to stay at the Novotel.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Merlin F

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts here on trip advisor. I am sorry to read you could not find a parking space; we do have 300 car spaces which we share with the Ibis and Ibis Budget. The Charge for residents is £5.00 and Non-residents is £20. We were happy to read your comments regarding our friendly staff, comfortable beds and quiet rooms. We do hope you we will see you again in the future.