“Pleasant hotel stay - Happy to return”

Novotel Southampton
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Lowestoft, England, United Kingdom
“Pleasant hotel stay - Happy to return”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

This is the second time I have stayed at the hotel (both on business) and had a pleasant stay. Hotel is just a 5-minute walk from Southampton Central railway station and as I was travelling by train this time (last time I drove there) it was very convenient.

On arrival I received a friendly welcome and was soon in my room. The Novotel rooms are very 'samey' but are functional and do the job nicely. The hotel offers free Wi-Fi, always a bonus when staying away on business. Bed was comfortable, and the shower was good. My only niggle with Novotel is their separate toilet room design...no idea why they see this as necessary, and it's really a pain to have to change rooms just to wash your hands.

Breakfast was very tasty, I particularly enjoyed the sausages and the bacon...some of the best I have had in any hotel, and I stay in plenty of them. The restaurant has a few unusual tables for one with a TV screen (they call them TV Dinners) so you can eat and watch TV at the same time...I didn't partake, but it's a cool idea.

The function we were running at the hotel was well serviced, with refreshments directly outside our room for the delegates, and the buffet lunch in the restaurant was tasty.

Overall a pleasant stay and would happily stay (and run events there) again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Glenn_Findlay, General Manager at Novotel Southampton, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Many thanks for taking the opportunity to post your thoughts here. I have shared your thoughts with all of the team here and it makes me proud to read that you found the team friendly and most of the services were to your liking including our Conference area and team. I have noted you comments also regarding our separate toilet and our TV Dinners which are a personal preference. We do hope to see you here again in the near future and please do not hesitate to ask for me.

Glenn Findlay | General Manager | Novotel Southampton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cwmbran, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Stayed at the hotel on good Friday for one night , great location with plenty of shops bars and cinema. Perfect location for the cruise terminals taxi cost £6 very reasonable. The hotel gave us a free upgrade this was a lovely surprise the room was clean and comfortable. The hotel provides a gym and pool for guests and breakfast was help yourself buffet. Plenty of choice from fruit, cereal, cooked breafast coffee and tea. The food was very nice indeed. Very impressed with the hotel would stay again when I book my next cruise from Southampton.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Karen C
Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts here on Tripadvisor. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope you had a great cruise. We are all looking forward to seeing you again.

Bridgwater, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

A nice hotel in a great location, standard rooms bright,clean and modern separate toilet from bathroom very small could hardly close the door. Water in the fridge is not complementary so be ware it cost £2.50 a bottle as we found on checkout, nothing written in the room to tell you this. Car park cost £6 a day again wasn't aware until check out. Lovely to have a pool for the kids but its not a very big pool and hardly any room to swim. They said there was a child's play area but this was only out on the Sunday afternoon when we left Staff were all very friendly, lovely breakfast a good variety would defaintely stay again.

Room Tip: Standard rooms I thought were fine others complained about the chip board effect in the paper but it...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Tracy F
Thank you for your thoughts, we are glad to read that you and your family enjoyed your selves during your stay with us. Our Car park is chargeable we have signage at the entrance of the hotel and my apologies if our reception team did not remind you of this during your check in experience. We are all looking forward to seeing you again soon.
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

The hotel is really nice stayed hear for a weekend with my partner, the workers at luvly,rooms are big and clean and tidy bathroom was gawjus shower was clean. Luvly view from our room. We had dinner in the hotel that night we were the only too im there, food was amazing but very expensive, its close to everything walking disenents to the ciseno

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for choosing to stay at Novotel Southampton during your recent trip. I have shared your kind words with the team here and they are so happy that you had a great stay and enjoyed your dining experience with us. We hope to see you again soon.
Penzance, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Hotel location is perfect for exploring Southampton and the West Quay area. On arrival the staff were great and kind enough to inform us there were 2 parties at the hotel during our stay, 1 each night. The room was ok, quite basic, but served a purpose.
The main disappointment was the hotel pool, which was one of the reasons we choose to stay. Its tiny and the pictures used to promote it are highly misleading! We ended up not using it as you couldn’t swim in it, that’s how small it was. Also it was slightly strange having to walk through a gym from the changing room to get to the pool.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Glenn_Findlay, General Manager at Novotel Southampton, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Many thanks for taking the opportunity to post you thoughts here on tripadvisor. Our Swimming pool is 7.8m x 3.4m and is 1.2m deep. The Pool is very popular with both our corporate and Leisure guests and I am sorry you found it too small to swim in. I am Glad you found our team members Great and we do hope you will consider us if traveling to Southampton in the future.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Stayed for a weekend city break for our daughters 3rd birthday as we went to visit Peppa Pig world. Excellent base. Our room was a standard room with a converted sofa bed for the children there was a fridge and there were tea and coffee facilities. Our package included a continental breakfast and the breakfasts were beautiful. The pool was very small, the photographs make it look a lot bigger but at least it was warm. The hotel is close to Marks and Spencer (where we bought our picnic from) and a short walk to Ikea where we had tea one evening. Parking was available at the hotel, we paid £12 for 2 days and we paid at the hotel reception when we checked in. Nice hotel, friendly staff, would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms don't get the noise from any functions.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Many thanks for your review. We are glad we played a part in your daughter’s trip to Peppa Pig World and it is wonderful to read you enjoyed our hotel and our team were friendly. We Hope to see you again in the future.
Berkshire
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Arrived at hotel at 12 noon - earlier then check in. Reception area, looks great, really funky. Room was not ready so decided to use the spa area. Pool was lovely and warm, however the jets were not working on the jet pool section, I asked a member of staff who was in the gym but she said that she did not know and would check with reception and let me know - no one came back to me. (staff member was polite when I asked her). I asked reception when I went to check in later and she said that it does not work!!! The sauna - a warm ish room. I pressed the button to put the sauna on - it is on a 1 hour timer. I waited 20 minutes for it to heat up - nothing. Very disappointed. The lockers in the changing room - no keys for any of them!!! Wet towels over the floor, corn plaster on the side of the pool, wet used towers in the pool area, used kids rubber ring, cups and keys to lockers all round pool area, chewing gum on bottom on pool floor.
Checked in at 2pm - room was 310. Clean room, small for 2 adults 1 child. Toilet is separate and away from bathroom - I did not like this but this is my preference.
There was a party in the hotel - not a great nights sleep. No pre warning of this. Loud noise, doors banging, people talking loud into the early hours, no concern for other guests. Kids shouting on the way back to hotel rooms. Was woken so many times.
Again woken in the morning by people up early. Was woken at 5.57am by a kid crying/screaming in the hall way. Went quite after a minute or so but again heard them at 6.30am - might of being going to breakfast but to loud and no concern for other guests. Doors banging all night long at all hours/people knocking on other guests doors.
Breakfast was nice - like the pancake machine.
Pay for car park £6.00 for 24 hours if hotel guest.
Check out good - staff friendly and nice. I was a little disappointed with my stay. Not worth the £128 that I paid for the room. If I paid no more then £99 for the room I would be happier as I think that this is all it was worth. Would I stay again - I doubt it. I think I might email the hotel about the noise from other guests.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank BerkshireDolly
Many thanks for taking the opportunity to post your thoughts here on tripadvisor, I am glad that you enjoyed our Breakfast and found our staff to be friendly and nice. Our Pool does not have a Jacuzzi or Jet system. I am sorry that you found our hotel and Leisure facilities not to your liking and that you were disturbed by other guests. Myself and my team are here for all of our guests and would have been happy to assist you during your stay. We do hope you will consider us again for your future stays in Southampton.