“very welcoming, most obliging”

Novotel Southampton
Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Convenient for Southampton Central station... we thought three hundred yards on looking at a map - in fact, cross the road, fifty yards to the right and turn left into a vehicular entrance takes straight to the main reception. A warm, friendly and helpful receptionist checked us in and (without fuss) helped me to set up the wifi on our new toy - meanwhile my wife was chatting to the maintenance man about our planned cruise and receiving some very helpful advice. Our 4th floor room gave views of the port and cruise ships therein and the room was clean and tidy as you might always expect, equipped with tea and coffee, iron, ironing board and such like. On check-in we had booked a table for 6:30. Once again, for the smiling and helpful staff, nothing was too much trouble: we enjoyed a very tasty meal in pleasant surroundings with service to match. Tomorrow we experience the breakfast which, if it's up to the standard we've enjoyed so far, I'm sure will be excellent. If not I'll let you know! This hotel is excellent for a pre-cruise stop-over and equally good for a base from which to enjoy the stores, Southampton Old Town, the Town Quay, or just chill out for a time. (We didn't use the Gym/Spar on our short overnight stay but it looked very inviting)

Room Tip: Don't take a taxi from the station - this hotel is so convenient! Upper floors give reasonable...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Flombergasp
Glenn_Findlay, General Manager at Novotel Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Many thanks for your kind words; I have shared them with the team here including Addie from our Maintenance team. We all hope you enjoy your cruise and we are looking forward to you retuning soon.
Glenn Findlay | General Manager | Novotel Southampton

Write a ReviewReviews (1,801)

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Reception staff very capable and helpful. All staff encountered were polite and friendly. The room was comfortable, stayed in a "superior" room which was quite plain looking really, I did wonder what the standard must look like. The bed clothes were a worn out beige colour and probably due for an update. There were shortfalls in cleanliness, I saw dirty finger marks on the bathroom door handles which should have been wiped down.

Room Tip: Didn't like the separate toilet and bathroom much
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Novotel Hotels

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts here on tripadvisor, I am sorry that you found our superior rooms plan and I have also shared your feedback regarding our Cleanliness with the team which we have addressed. Again thank you for your feedback and we do hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 5 May 2014

i stayed there the weekend just past for my sons 2nd birthday. conveinent for peppa pig world. the rooms were perfect, the cover manager who was looking after the place while the general manager was away was excellent. the best service we got though was from a lovely waitress who looked after myself, my mum and nan. also my fiance and our son after getting back really late on sunday for a late dinner. we didnt get her name but she was the only female waitress on sunday evening in the main resturant. my son loved her and she wasnt allowed to move from his site. she also let my nan have a kids menu as she doesnt eat much. so if the general manager looks at trip advisor please pass on my thanks to both the covering bank bank holiday manager and the lovely waitress.also for breakfast on monday the manager ran to the other hotels to get a baby high chair as all were taken. im a resturant manager myself and if i was working in southampton i would have stolen them both from you. many thanks

1  Thank madrobbie

It is great to read your review and we are so happy you and your family enjoyed your stay with us here at Novotel Southampton. I think we have a fantastic team too and I will be sharing your thoughts with the team here. Again thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts here and we will be looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

I come to the Novotel for work and I must say that I love it!

The rooms are always nice and clean, you get free wifi for 24 hours and the breakfast is smashing. Try the little fresh pancake maker and the back of the breakfast bar - they are delicious!!

The only thing I am not as keen on is the dinner menu - it's been the same for a while and is pricey. When I come here I tend to go over to the TGI's as they do a good set menu for £16.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank JGCMorrison

Many thanks for your kind words; it is great hearing from a regular guest. Thank you for your feedback regarding our Breakfast, I like our pancake maker too – they taste great in the morning. I have noted your comment regarding our Dinner menu, these changes seasonally and I have feed your comments back to the team. Again thank you for your kind words and we are looking forward to having you back with us soon.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Executive room, well equipped, clean. Complementary water, bath robes, toiletries etc. Booked early, good value for money. Breakfast was excellent with a good choice. Complementary WiFi was a bonus too!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for posting your thoughts here on tripadvisor. I am thrilled to read you enjoyed our executive room and we are looking forward to seeing you in the near future.

Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Checked in to hotel at 7pm and had to be back out for 7.30pm as we were having dinner with the Mayor of Southampton ( Oh get me!) Back to sleep only BUT DID NOT LIKE THE TOILET IN A CUPBOARD( she says in capital letters to express the dislike even more) Also the terrible artex / chipboard walls and ceiling were less than appealing! However the breakfast was absolutely perfect. The dining room was quiet and we had a table at the back of the room by the window. The menu was superb and the waiting staff were extremely attentive ( without being in your face) I would have liked some kind of fish option but nevertheless there was an adequate selection. Would I stay here again? If I could have a room with the toilet in the bathroom YES as that was a big no no for me. Staff wise, I would employ them all ! :)

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank rubyred456

Many thanks for your review, I am sorry you did not find the Bathroom configuration to your liking we do have several accessible rooms that do have the toilet in the Bathroom for future reference. We were thrilled to read that you enjoyed our Breakfast and we do hope that we will see you again in the future.