“Family break on Tesco” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Diss, United Kingdom
“Family break on Tesco”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed for a couple of nights curtesy of Tesco Rewards. The staff were very friendly and my wife and daughter enjoyed a couple of dips in the pool. The welcome gift for my daughter was a nice touch. The room was very comfortable, if a little warm.. The breakfasts were well cooked and I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank DaveW321
Glenn_Findlay, General Manager at Novotel Southampton, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Many thanks for your review. I am happy to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay and we do hope to see you again soon.
Glenn Findlay | General Manager | Novotel Southampton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Gloucestershire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

My family of 2 adults and 2 children stayed for one night in a family room, double and a sofa bed. We asked for a quiet room and were put on the 5th floor which is fine though we were above the function room where a wedding party danced on into the night so if you don't want to hear the thud of the music it may be worth checking if there are any events on and if so where your room is in relation to the possible noise. Room was adequate, but a bit tired and colourless with pebble-dash painted walls. Bathroom ok and shower good with pokey separate toilet room. Children used the small pool and enjoyed it, this area looked new and fresh, though the changing room shower was not functioning properly at the time. Biggest disappointment was the breakfast cost at an extra £15 per adult, so we took cereal boxes/bowls, and put milk in the fridge in the room (added bonus)! Tesco is opposite and there is also a McDonalds next door which could provide a cheaper breakfast. Parking is an additional £6 for 24 hours, so in summary an overpriced stay but close to port and near to centre with amenities near by.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your review, I was glad to read that your children enjoyed our Pool and I am sorry that the Shower was not functioning during your stay. It is a shame that you did not try our breakfast, as you can see from other reviews it is a very good Breakfast and includes Hot offerings as well as Cereals, Danishes and even pancakes. Again thank you for your review and we do hope to see you again.

Alcester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel pre-cruise as we do a couple of times a year. Although the hotel maintains it's high standards regarding accommodation we were disappointed that in house movies were not available despite being included in the in house literature and the breakfast food was luke warm and not helped by having stone cold plates. Not up to normal standards! We will stay again and hope that things are back to normal. If not, we could be seeking reviews for alternative accommodation in Southampton.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to post you thoughts here. I am sorry that your last stay did not live up to our normal standards. I will be sharing your thoughts here with the team especially our Breakfast team and I am sure you will see us back to our best for your next stay.We have recently updated our TV Packages and now over both complimentary WiFI as well as Free view channels rather than charging. Please do not hesitate to contact me on glenn.findlay@accor.com should you wish to discuss further.
Southampton, England UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel is good, although the room we stayed in could do with some refurbishment (stains on carpet) it served our purpose of being very close to the cruise terminals and shops.
The bathroom looked new and there was a separate toilet.

The gym and pool are an added feature as some of the hotels in the close proximity don't have a pool/gym.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank valcontr
Many thanks for your review I am glad to read that you enjoyed our fitness facilities and we look forward to welcoming you back soon
Thunder Bay, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

We stayed in Southampton for a week because of my and my husband's work, along with our 8-year old son. The room was very small, and very stuffy. We could not open the windows easily, and they only opened a couple of inches--not enough for any air circulation. There was no heater or air conditioner, and not very much light. The police station was just behind our room and it was very loud. The beds were very uncomfortable and soft. For a chain hotel, this was just average.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your review, I am sorry you found our hotel just average and we do hope you will allow us the opportunity to exceed you expectations on another trip.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

I stayed in the Novotel Southampton for one night because I was attending a rock concert nearby. I was stunned at some of the hotel prices in the area, even the Premier Inn was showing as £95 a night, which I thought was ridiculous, but it was the Easter holiday and hotels often overprice rooms during holiday dates. I ended up paying £115 for a room at the Novotel as this hotel was the closest to walk to from the train station and to the music venue I was going to. I originally booked via online booking site Onhotels.com, but there was a mix up and despite advertising available rooms at a lower price, it turned out that there was no room at their lower advertised price even available! The booking still hadn't been confirmed the day I was due to travel despite my card having been charged and I only managed to find out the problem after I called customer service, so DON'T use Onhotels.com, they're not trustworthy if they advertise hotel rooms that aren't even available. In the end I booked a room direct through the hotel, but of course, it was more expensive than what I originally thought I'd paid via the Onhotels website. I had no choice, as everywhere was booked, even the Ibis next door was full, Holiday Inn and the Premier Inn down the road.
I've stayed in Novotels before and rooms are very comfortable and stylishly decorated, spacious and very clean, but for one night without even breakfast included, I felt ripped off having paid £115 for what I would call a standard hotel room, with a bit of added style, nothing particularly luxury. Usual hotel toiletries are free, along with tea, coffee, etc. but the two bottles of water in the fridge weren't even complimentary (at Radisson hotels the water IS free) and cost £2.50 each - another rip-off. Also very disppointing is the "swimming pool" which is hardly big enough to properly swim in, it's very small and I couldn't even get into it when I wanted to as there was already four people in it and impossible to swim. It's more a plunge pool. The gym is okay and there is a good sauna, so I used that. The bar is open until late, usually busy with business guests and cruise liner passengers, but it's the kind of place that doesn't get too noisy, it's more of a cocktail bar to chill out at. The staff are friendly enough, check-in and check-out was fast and efficient.
I would definitely stay in this Novotel again, but certainly wouldn't pay over £100 again to stay here. I've stayed in better places for the same price and at least got the water free of charge AND breakfast in the morning for no extra cost. I found out that for just £10 more I could've stayed in the Grand Harbour just down the road and got a proper swim and spa time in their better leisure club. I walked down to that hotel and had a cappuccino and snack in their cafe. I think next time if I need to stay in Southampton, I'll choose the Grand Harbour, as the hotel refurbishment will be completed by then and it will hopefully be back to it's much needed old charm.

Room Tip: Stay away from the lifts, or you get the noise from people coming and going. High floors are best, t...