“Very nice place, family friendly”

Novotel Southampton
Ranked #11 of 26 Hotels in Southampton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here only one night on the way back home from Bournemouth. Booked the room very late and arrived after 40min.

The check in was good, Receptionist very friendly and professional! Offered help with our luggage and showed us to the pool area.

Rooms are big (we were party of three families) and clean.

Nice hotel to stay.

Many thanks
Lukasz

Stayed: July 2014
Glenn_Findlay, General Manager at Novotel Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Many thanks for your kind words, I have shared these with the team and we are happy that you and your family enjoyed staying with us.
Kind regards
Glenn Findlay | General Manager | Novotel Southampton

Write a ReviewReviews (1,836)

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I checked in at midnight to be greeted at the foyer by wedding guests vomiting just outside reception! The gym was filthy. The machines hadn't been wiped down in months, they were covered in dust and the screens weren't working. The room was the executive room. There was nothing executive about it! I waited 15 minutes to check out (one person behind the desk). All in all I would only recommend staying if there are no other options around. The friendliness of the staff (very good) is at odds with the quality of the product their employer is offering.

Stayed: July 2014

Many thanks for posting your thoughts here. I am sorry you found the Gym in a mess I have asked our housekeeping team to ensure this is kept up to our normally high standards. We do hold several functions and I am sorry that you had to witness another guest of ours being unwell. We do hope we will see you again.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Great hotel to stay in , staff were lovely and very helpful especially the handy man who fixed our sink in our room before we even knew it was broke , gave us some really good tips etc for our trip.breakfast was really good huge selection to choose from so was something for everyone .my tip would be when booking look for a deal which includes breakfast that's what we did as it s 13.95 a head which is a bit expensive .Pool was lovely really warm and just us in it so we had plenty of space

Review collected in partnership with Novotel Hotels
1  Thank Michelle E

Many thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts here. I will be sharing your kind words with Adie our maintenance team member and we really hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

The rooms are basic but clean and comfortable. The service is very sharp. The high point, without a doubt, is the breakfast buffet. The food is high quality and the choices go on and on. For those that like cereal there are about 8 options. For those who like eggs there are two options. They have the beans and tomatoes that the Brits prefer as well as sausages and bacon. They have fresh fruit They have sweet rolls. They fruit juice and very good coffee. Choosing the breakfast is an add-on but it is well worth the price.

The location is very convenient to the cruise ship terminal and you are within easy walking distance of the downtown shops and museums.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank albwilson
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Although the bathroom and (separate) loo were pretty basic, they were clean and had everything we needed. The bedroom was fine and the bed was very comfortable. What was particularly good for a UK hotel was the breakfast - we had guests join us for this and all agreed they were impressed! If you need to be in the centre of Southampton anytime, this was a great location, stone's throw from the train station.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Stephanie P
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Here in Southampton to take my 3 year old daughter to Peppa Pig world for her birthday. My wife, who has become something of a hotel snob, booked this place as her 5* preference was full. For me it seemed fine, I've stayed in hundreds of business type hotels but from the outset she was not impressed. Room was not bad, not huge for an Executive Room but good fixtures. However the real problem was the air con - or lack of. So many places like this the same, hot night in July and no cooling. Sleeping comfortably with a covering was impossible, the room was far too hot and unpleasant.
On to the food. Went down for dinner on the first evening as the menu offerings did not look too bad. The restaurant appears to be manned (again as are many) by predominantly East European staff, no problem with that but some of them do give off the rather straight and stern demeanour which would lend itself better to a part in 'The Hostel' or similar. We had such a waitress. I asked for the burger, always an easy choice and hard to mess up. As she scribbled I asked for it to be well done. "We can't do that", came the response, "they are all medium". "Oh" i said, "how about just leaving it on the grill an extra minute". "I don't think that's possible". So I decided not to pursue this line and said "OK I'll have the fish and chips instead". Boy what a mistake that was, this was quite possibly the worst fish and chips I have ever had worldwide. The fish looked more like a leg of lamb, the batter tasted like soggy cardboard, the chips were undercooked and it came with mushy peas which were compacted and hard. Suffice it to say I later spent an unpleasant 15 minutes in the separate toilet cubicle of the room. To be fair my wife had Thai curry, which was really not bad. But my advice would be to steer clear of the fish.
The breakfasts were quite OK, although nothing to write home about. Average quality, average taste.
I think it's average for a hotel of it's type but I dont think it's especially cheap for Southampton. Would I stay here again? No.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel with air conditioning
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel the night before embarking a cruise from Southampton. We were very pleased with our stay. The lobby and room are decorated with a modern atmosphere. We found the room to spacious and clean. The toilet is separate from the sink and shower, which made it convenient for 2 people to use at the same time. The small restaurant was a good place to eat in a pinch when it was pouring rain. There is a McDonald's outside of the parking lot so it was a very convenient place to eat breakfast in the morning. There is also a shopping mall about a 5-10 min walk away with an excellent food court. Great place for a short stay. I'd highly recommend it as a pre-cruise hotel and would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple