“Excellent for short stay”

Novotel Southampton
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
GreenLeadersBronze level

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I found myself unexpectedly in Southampton and stayed at the Novotel for what turned into a 2 night stay. The hotel charges £10 per hour for late check outs after 1pm but requires a full night booking after 5pm. The hotel is situated in a car park with the Ibis and Ibis Express and is the more expensive option of the three. I had a superior room but I'm not sure what the difference is. The room faced the car park and was very quiet. Room service was efficient and I was called to warn me that it was on its way. I thought this was quite unusual but probably a good idea since someone tried to use their key to get into my room later that night. It was after the world cup final so I guess their faculties were diminished but it wasn't particularly pleasant shouting through the door to tell him to go away. Staff were courteous and almost all EU, not UK. There is a decent looking gym and smallish pool area both of which looked nice. I was surprised that there is no free parking for guests and it came to £6 per day. I guess it stops cruise ship passengers from blocking the spaces but I think it's expensive even though you can come and go during the day. There is not much to see in the area but there is a large retail park- Ikea, John Lewis, Decathlon etc for those who can't survive without shops.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank frequentflyerLondon
Glenn_Findlay, General Manager at Novotel Southampton, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you for taking the opportunity to post your thoughts here on tripadvisor. We do hope to see you again soon.
West SussexUK
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Good location for West Quay, not far into shops or further walk into town. Modern fresh and clean. Room fine, Checkin staff friendly. You pay extra for car park . Free Wifi , Pool looked a bit small so we passed on a morning swim after our great Breakfast. Nice service and plenty of choice and coffee !!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for your kind words which I have shared with the team here at Novotel Southampton. I am glad you enjoyed your breakfast and the use of our free wifi. We all hope to see you again soon.
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed here for one night. Check in was good, with gifts for the kids, and the rooms were clean and a good size. It's close to the nearby shopping mall, so plenty of choice for eating at night, and we went to Peppa Pig world the next day which was nearby.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for you kind words – I do hope your children enjoyed their gifts from the hotel and had a great time at Peppa Pig world. We hope to see you again soon.
West Sussex, UK
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Novotel for two nights in an Executive Room which was on the 2nd floor and overlooked the car park. We came to Southampton to see the Lion King and the hotel is ideally located for getting into the town centre. West Quay shopping centre is nearby as well.

Every staff member that we met was polite, professional and helpful.

There were four designated spaces for Blue Badge Holders. We managed to get one on the first night but not on the second night. However the car park is very big, albeit shared between the three hotels that are on site (Ibis, Ibis Budget & Novotel) and we managed to park not too far from the entrance. One minus is that the parking is £6 per day. For this class of hotel, it should be free.

The room was spacious and the bed was very comfortable. Linens and towels were of a good quality. Gowns and slippers were provided. The room had a safe, nespresso coffee machine, tea and coffee making facilities, fridge with free bottled water and all the other little bits one would expect from a 4* hotel. Wi Fi was also free with a good signal and download speed. However the rooms are air cooled and not air conditioned which can make them a bit stuffy. The windows do open though. The toilet is separate from the bathroom and is a bit on the small side if you are over 6' tall. The shower over the bath was adequate however it was quite a big step up and over the side of the bath for anyone with back or hip problems. I managed with the help of my wife.

The breakfast selection was fantastic with all the usual hot and cold options. The coffee was great and the pancake machine was outstanding.

The hotel has a really good atmosphere with a wonderful mix of all nationalities working and staying there.

The only minor points were a noisy wedding party which went on for a while (we missed the guests vomiting in the foyer unlike a previous reviewer) and some very inconsiderate people who decided to play noisy games in the corridor outside our room at 11pm at night. The father was making more noise than his kids.

The parking charges and noise are the only reasons that my review is not the full 5*.

Room Tip: Try to find a good price online for the Executive Rooms. They are worth it.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DWT123
Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts here on Tripadvisor. We are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I would like to apologies for the actions of our other guests who disturbed your rest. I would like to assure you that our car parking charges are comparable to similar city centre Hotels and I have noted your comments. We do hope to see you again soon and we hope you enjoyed the Lion King Production.
Southern Poland, Poland
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here only one night on the way back home from Bournemouth. Booked the room very late and arrived after 40min.

The check in was good, Receptionist very friendly and professional! Offered help with our luggage and showed us to the pool area.

Rooms are big (we were party of three families) and clean.

Nice hotel to stay.

Many thanks
Lukasz

Stayed July 2014
Many thanks for your kind words, I have shared these with the team and we are happy that you and your family enjoyed staying with us.
Kind regards
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I checked in at midnight to be greeted at the foyer by wedding guests vomiting just outside reception! The gym was filthy. The machines hadn't been wiped down in months, they were covered in dust and the screens weren't working. The room was the executive room. There was nothing executive about it! I waited 15 minutes to check out (one person behind the desk). All in all I would only recommend staying if there are no other options around. The friendliness of the staff (very good) is at odds with the quality of the product their employer is offering.

Stayed July 2014
Many thanks for posting your thoughts here. I am sorry you found the Gym in a mess I have asked our housekeeping team to ensure this is kept up to our normally high standards. We do hold several functions and I am sorry that you had to witness another guest of ours being unwell. We do hope we will see you again.