“Sadly,not the usual 4 star Novotel”

Novotel Southampton
Ranked #10 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 7 August 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Glenn_Findlay, General Manager at Novotel Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We were seeing a show this hotel was in easy walking distance. It had gym & pool so we had a swim in the pool. Not the biggest but nice & warm. The room was comfortable with everything needed. The staff all very friendly & helpful.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carole-Anne C

Thank you for your kind words. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and visiting our gym and pool. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed two nights and used as a base for visiting the New Forest.

It was modern, easy to find. The rooms were a decent size, and I like the design by which the corridor and WC are closed off from the room by a second door.

It only has a heating system not cooling. There are double glazed windows which can be opened, however only slightly on most levels, I noticed the top floor had fully opening windows. However, the have double glazing for a reason, there is a lot of noise if they are open.

I would recommend placing a fan in each wardrobe in Summer for use if needed by the guests.

In particular one staff member who checked us in, I didn't notice her name, but she was blonde with glasses was particularly helpful and should be commended.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts here on trip advisor. I am happy to read that your enjoyed our hotel and the layout of the bedrooms. We do have a air cooling system and my apologies if you found this not up to your satisfaction, we do have fans available through our housekeeping department and thank you for your suggestion which we will take on board. We do hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

This hotel is 5 minutes walk from the railway station,not far from the docks and close to the centre of the city which makes it handy for shopping trips.The rooms are very nice with everything you need-but the air cooling system is not very good.We were too hot during the night-in spite of having the temperature turned right down
Breakfast is very good but hot food not terribly hot-only lukewarm.
The first morning I went down for breakfast at 6a.m. and the hot food did not start to come out until 6.10a.m.When I left the restaurant at 6.20a.m. there were still no fried eggs or sausages to be seen.This was mentioned at reception-no apology at all.
There is a charge of £6/day for using the hotel car park.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your comments. I am happy to read that you enjoyed our hotel and I am sorry you found our rooms to warm for you during your stay. I am sorry that we did not have breakfast ready for you at 6am - I have also shared your thought with our Food & Beverage team as we do open our Breakfast at 6am and it is unacceptable not to have all of our offerings out on time. Again thank you for your review and we do hope to see you again.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Stayed overnight in the Novotel, Southampton prior to joining a cruise the next day. The hotel is really comfortable, and we were certainly treated as long-term guests rather than 'over-nighters''.
The rooms are comfortable with everything you need. We enjoyed an evening meal in the restaurant and breakfasted there as well. The food was excellent and the staff are really friendly.
The hotel is within walking distance of a small shopping centre and food outlets, and not too far from the centre of Southampton. Car parking is secure, ther is a barrier preventing access and a small charge to exit - but I'd pay that willingly for peace of mind.
Southampton Docks are 5 minutes away by car, so it's an easy morning to catch your boat! I believe the hotel is now doing a car park package, but we didn't use that, preferring to use the Shipping Line car parking facilities.
We've stayed here before and found the hotel very accommodating. over the years, I can only report that the good standard remains excellent, and the service is improving with really good staff

Room Tip: The hotel has good lifts. Some overlook the car park, so that is beneficial if you want to keep you...
2  Thank magibbins

Thank you very much for your review. It is great to read the thoughts from a regular guests and I have shared your thoughts with all of the team. We are all looking forward to seeing you again soon and do hope you enjoyed your cruise.

Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

My son booked this hotel as a surprise for his girlfriends "Special" Birthday. Standard room with Queen Bed. Room had two single beds ~ albeit bigger than 2'6 but!! One of the beds was less than satisfactory. Didn't have time to complain as on a tight timescale to get to the theatre!! Next morning requested a room change ~ agreed by reception & ready for when they returned from their day out. However, the sink in the bathroom omitted the most disgusting smells all night!! Requested Breakfast in the room ~ the birthday. Request put on door by 4pm the night before but come 10.15am on "the" morning ~ NO breakfast!! Not impressed to say the least. Spoke to Reception & told at least another 20/30 minutes!! Totally unacceptable and resulted in a very disappointing two night stay. Needless to say they will NOT be returning or recommending. Compensation = waived the parking charges!! Big deal ~ NOT!! Give a wide berth ~ try the Holiday Inn!!
Booked via last minute.com ~ is this symptomatic? Not that much of a discounted price than hotel website direct so ......?? Makes you wonder doesn't it!

Stayed: July 2014
Glenn_Findlay, General Manager at Novotel Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Thank you for your review regarding your sons stay with us. We give our guests a choice if available of a twin or a double bed, I am sorry if the wrong room was allocated but happy to read that when your son did request for a change of room this was dealt with efficiently. I would also like to apologise for the delay in Breakfast, having spoken to the team that was on during the morning, this was late and although we did offer to get this straight up to your son’s room he chose not to have Breakfast. I would like to assure you that we offer the same rates to 3rd Party websites so unsure of what discount you received from Last minute.com. Again thank you for taking the time to review your sons stay, if he would like to discuss his stay direct with me please pass on my email address which is: glenn.findlay@accor.com.
Many thanks
Glenn Findlay| General Manager | Novotel Southampton

Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed for two nights, the hotel was fairly easy to find with sat nav, plenty of parking spaces and check-in was quick and easy. We found our executive room to have all the amenities you would expect including bathrobes, slippers, complimentary still and sparkling water in the fridge, and the large double/king size bed was very comfortable. Oddly the sofa bed had been made up even though we had booked a double room for 2 adults but this wasn't a problem.

This isn't the cleanest hotel I have ever stayed in with stains on the carpet and on the cushions on the sofa. The bathroom however was clean, the shower was hot but not particularly powerfull. The toilet was in a cold seperate little room next to the bathroom.

As we were only staying for two nights we left the do not disturb sign on the door as we didn't want anyone to come into the room while we were out and when we returned the housekeeping staff had kindly left a bag of extra towels, tea, coffee etc. outside our room which was very nice.

We didn't hear any noise from the rooms around us but as the view from our room was of the new Southampton Central Police Station and throughout the night the sirens of police cars zooming off to fight crime could be heard.

After reading other reviews that pointed out the lack of air con we took our own electric fan from home whice made our stay much more comfortable - without it the room would have been unbearably hot at night as the window only opened about 2 inches. I am unsure whether the hotel would provide a fan on request.

We didn't eat in the restaurant, drink at the bar or use the pool or gym so I cannot comment on these facilities although the pool did look very inviting. There are plenty of places to eat in the nearby shopping mall.

Overall I would stay at this hotel again if I happened to be in the area but I would make sure to book a few weeks in advance to take advantage of one of the deals that are available if you do so.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the opposite side of the hotel to the police station unless you want to be woken u...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your review, I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I have noted your comments regarding Carpet stains and the sofa. As you have mentioned we have an air cooling system and yes we do provide electric Fans should they be needed. Again thank you for the review and we do hope to see you again soon.
Glenn Findlay| General Manager | Novotel Southampton